IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2014

skr

Let us present the latest project by MPG Productions for the upcomming ABBUC Software Contest. The game is still in very early stage (started just last week) but some essential functionality is already in place.

Code and game concept: MaPa

Visuals: PG

Awesome Zdenek! How many colors?

On first sight, i thought your own robot and the enemy robots are combined 4-color players.

But then i saw 2 enemies and your own Robot in the same scanline without flickering.

WTF?!! How do that work?

i'd go with software sprites for the robots and a player each for extra colour, with the remaining two players used on the player robot...? Looking at the video i can see how it works (in fact i think i did something similar with Energy Arc) but hats off to MPG because it's very well done. =-)

i might have to throw a small entry together to play along like Creature XL is considering... it doesn't feel "right" not being in a mild panic about the ABBUC deadline this year!

Edited by TMR

i'd go with software sprites

Think so too. They move only over plain black background. Same technique like in "Bristles" (good visible in higher skill levels there, while the background flows with the small colour buckets in char steps).

BTW: I still have "Energy Arc" on my list. Or do you have deprecated my support?

i'd go with software sprites for the robots and a player each for extra colour, with the remaining two players used on the player robot...? Looking at the video i can see how it works (in fact i think i did something similar with Energy Arc) but hats off to MPG because it's very well done. =-)

Well, right, that would work :-)

Indeed - VERY WELL DONE !!

i might have to throw a small entry together to play along like Creature XL is considering... it doesn't feel "right" not being in a mild panic about the ABBUC deadline this year!

Please do so!! The more the better :-)

I like to see much more NEW cool games for the wonderfull A8 :-D

• Like 1

Let us present the latest project by MPG Productions for the upcomming ABBUC Software Contest. The game is still in very early stage (started just last week) but some essential functionality is already in place.

If you'd use a walking character then you'll have C64 Impossible Mission!

post-12528-0-60696700-1404560702_thumb.png

BTW: I still have "Energy Arc" on my list. Or do you have deprecated my support?

Ah... i sort of forgot about it to be honest! =-( At some point i'd like to go back to it and i've got a few ideas to improve how the sprite engine works too but it'll need a lot of reworking!

The game is still in very early stage (started just last week) but some essential functionality is already in place.

You guys are just nuts. This type of game creation skills is just beyond me. And how PG always put the graphics in place in a way that the limitations of the Atari simply vanish. In fact after seeing the video yesterday I dreamt about it last night. Honestly. And in my dream there was an article in a retro magazine where got interviewd in Berlin and I talked about why writing games is so much harder than demos .... priceless. Human subconsciousness :-)

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 4

A good point is being made here, that writing a game isn't just about the fancy DLIs and the sound effects and so forth, it is also about making a good game underneath.

With my entry for ABBUC (which won't meet this year's deadline), I am carefully considering the gameplay side of the game and that is taking quite a bit of time as I want to ensure that not only the DLIs and sound effects look good, I want a game that people want to go back to and play again and again. The latter is the most important, but as a bit of a newbie I've gone for the DLIs and sound effects first, which is my mistake. I will correct that though before I release the game. I won't release it unfinished.

• Like 1

Holy crab ! This looks incredibly cute and charming !

And here I was - thinking I saw every possible combination of pixels and colors in Gr.15 (at least I think that's what it is) !

Just goes to show you don't need a fancy cmode72 and a marketing campaign....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice display tricks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 3