IGNORED

ABBUC Software-Contest 2014

skr

I think it is rather safe to post my votes now...

They were:

1) Dimo's Quest 10 points
2) Joe Painter 6 points
3) Ransack 9 points
4) RGB 10 points
5) Nemezyro 6 points
6) Ramp Rage 7 points
RGB and Dimo's Quest are my absolute favorite games. Can't decide which one is the best for me. I'm now stuck in level 6 of RGB. Keep trying. It's amazing. And Dimo's quest.. yes... I like that type of games a lot. I can imagine not everybody likes it, but for me it's the best. Other titles were great too. Thanks for bringing all this to atari 8bit!
Edited by ProWizard

I'm up to level 6 on RGB too, and I've completed Dimo's Quest. I think it will be extremely close between RGB and Dimo's Quest for the winner. For me RGB just shades it. The games are all good and different too.

I'm still coding away on the final version of Ramp Rage (see link below) this version will be significantly improved and I hope to release it soon :)

• Like 1

Here are the results of the abbuc vote

Dimo's Quest 1.

RGB 2.

Ransack 3

Nemezyro 4

Joe Painter 5

Ramprage 6

Congratulations to all partisipsnts!!!

Thanks for the report and congratulations to your victory.

Now for the little more sour aspect:

I am let down by the fact that unfinished productions can compete with (and beat) productions that are complete and ready for release. I think the organizers should reconsider what is acceptable and what is not. We have never submitted to the contest a game that was not complete. This was the second year in a row where an unfinished production was accepted and even won the competition. And to think that X:8 is still not finished after a year...

Please, note that I am not attacking 8bitjunkie. His work deserves great respect, since Dimo's Quest is one of the best first productions I have seen. Who I am addressing are the organizers of the contest.

This was the second year in a row where an unfinished production was accepted and even won the competition. And to think that X:8 is still not finished after a year...

Please, note that I am not attacking 8bitjunkie. His work deserves great respect, since Dimo's Quest is one of the best first productions I have seen. Who I am addressing are the organizers of the contest.

Is Dimo's Quest not finished? I missed something then...

About unfinished productions: I agree with you, although I think that there is a difference between 'not finished' and 'near finished'... X:8 was (and still is) not ready. That is a bit disappointing yes. Was crownland in the Abbuc Contest? That game isn't ever completed at all IIRC.

Some titles develop after deadline. I hope X:8 will see an update SOON.

It is a difficult problem. The contributions were all playable. And I guess that people vote for what they see and have played. I guess they do not vote for something that the title will or might become in the future. So even an unfinished title can win if the abbuc members give that production a better score.

I think that when you send in a game or program that is not finished, and it also doesn't do a thing... it will not get a very high score.

For me RGB and Dimo's Quest were a tie... both games absolutely perfect. I had no idea which one would win.

• Like 1

Was crownland in the Abbuc Contest? That game isn't ever completed at all IIRC.

What was not completed about it? I'd always hoped they'd develop it further, but I played it through from start to finish a few times, and don't recall any missing parts.

It didn't win either... it got second place, to Yoomp.

Edited by MrFish

I am let down by the fact that unfinished productions can compete with (and beat) productions that are complete and ready for release. I think the organizers should reconsider what is acceptable and what is not. We have never submitted to the contest a game that was not complete. This was the second year in a row where an unfinished production was accepted and even won the competition. And to think that X:8 is still not finished after a year...

Actually, I don't understand why Dimo's Quest has won. I'd expected it 3rd, after RGB and Ransack.

I quess, it's the presentation video, not the game itself. As you know, it's all about the PR ;)

Really, no offense, but "Dimo's Quest is far too old school Atari stuff and reminds a lot of a Basic type game with charmode animation. For a 1st prod. a well done game, but placed 1st?

Well, it seems, I have to revise my 1st sentence. Ofcourse I understand it. As I'm directly get regulary hitten with the fact that the Atari Hobby hasn't anything to do with logics.... ;)

Edited by emkay

I am let down by the fact that unfinished productions can compete with (and beat) productions that are complete and ready for release.

I understand what you mean and I think everyone agrees that RGB is the most polished game of the contest.

But at the end of the day the fun while playing counts. (Esp. in regard to 'retro gaming'.)

DQ with its keys, spikes, fire extinguisher, stones etc. offers some nice variation and is very playable.

As mentioned, I had my problems with RGB while the control scheme lead to multiple tries to perform a jump and therefor isn't so fluid.

It doesn't help you, but even unfinished or buggy commercial productions like 'Colony' or 'Jet Set Willy' were successful. You may not notice the problems before spending some time with the production - and the voting period of the contest was (again) very short (which may is the real problem). (BTW: I regard the dead line of the contest as such and do not really understand the (1 week?) accommodation time which was set this year.)

Keep your good work up and don't get discouraged!

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

What was not completed about it? I'd always hoped they'd develop it further, but I played it through from start to finish a few times, and don't recall any missing parts.

It didn't win either... it got second place, to Yoomp.

Remember, the Crownland presentation demo was much better than the game. In that year Yoomp! also blasted everything away. In 36 Years only one game of that type reached the A8 .

The creators of Crownland did a mistake, NOT to make it as promised, put new levels in and name it Crownland 2 , taking part of a following contest. It would have won, but no chance against Yoomp! .

I played all the entries together with my son and we both gave maximum points to Dimo's Quest and RGB. RGB has really nice and smooth graphics which probably beat Dimo's in the "technical finesse" department. I couldn't say that either of them beats the other as a game. I can't recall any "Chip's Challenge" type game on the A8 and as that is one of the Lynx' highlights it's nice to have a game of that type on the A8 now. RGB is novel, too, with it's color-coded shots, although they are not as natural to pick up.

Being distracted by lots of work I might have played both of them for too short a time to pick up that Dimo's is less finished than RGB.

Overall it's great to see games of that quality written in 2014 and I look forward to 2015 already. Thanks to all the authors!

• Like 1

PG, I'm sorry, you sound like a bad loser. But you are far from this. You, MaPa and Ooz are really winners. You are so talented guys whose games, music and graphics has given us Atari fellows so much joy. Keep up your fantastic work!

I can't speak for other members, but in my opinion the results are fair. RGB is technically outstanding and one of the most interesting shooter/puzzlers ever! But the cute candy collecting frog touched my heart, more than the shooting roboters. For me it doesn't feel unfinished. I love it just like it is.

Edited by Bunsen
  • Like 2

Really, no offense, but "Dimo's Quest is far too old school Atari stuff and reminds a lot of a Basic type game with charmode animation. For a 1st prod. a well done game, but placed 1st?

Sorry but that is ridiculous.

1) I know basic games that are still a lot of fun to play (Nerm of Bemer is in my top #10 list of favorite games) ... so that is not a valid argument.

2) First place is because of what abbuc members gave their points for. I did not see any PR-video, I just played the game. I spent hours with Dimo's Quest and this game is extremely much fun.

I really doubt whether you have played it at all or perhaps a few minutes. A lot of modern games can't keep me interested for a long time, but both RGB and Dimo's quest kept me for days connected to my Atari setup.

I could not decide, so I gave both games 10 points. Ransack is very cool too, but in the end it did not please me as much as the other two games.

This is why I love abbuc. It is because of this contest that we have all this brandnew and fabulous titles. I really doubt we would have it all without the contest.

• Like 4

Hello Irgendwer

I (...) do not really understand the (1 week?) accommodation time which was set this year.

Wolfgang (our president) said something about that on the ABBUC forum. I cannot find it at the moment, but IIRC, multiple problems occurred somewhere between "inside the big computer" and "ready to ship".

Sincerely

Mathy

post-38160-0-70271900-1414287635_thumb.png

You may download "Dimo's Quest In ABBUC Land" V1.3 (PAL) here:

www.talios.de/dimo

This version include the 17 level onto the program disk,

so you do not need to swap disk to play...

You may also download the level editor "Purzel" (Windows)...

have fun...

Thomas

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 9

Sorry but that is ridiculous.

1) I know basic games that are still a lot of fun to play (Nerm of Bemer is in my top #10 list of favorite games) ... so that is not a valid argument.

Run inside a "charblock" limitation , even on a free field... objects moving in the same speed and direction , and so on. If you like that, it's ok, it's the Atari's basic features.

2) First place is because of what abbuc members gave their points for. I did not see any PR-video, I just played the game. I spent hours with Dimo's Quest and this game is extremely much fun.

The shift is, where people have seen the video and decide to give a point more to the "programmer" whom they "know better" than the programmer of RGB (at least they think they do) . That's how PR is working.

Interestingly, that's the fact , we don't get any finished game or software in this days. Software gets "almost finished" , it gets a huge PR, sold to people with the promise to finish it sometimes. The money gets transfered, but the software never gets finished.

I'm not putting Dimo's Quest down, it's just that RGB hasn't got placed where it belongs to be.

Games that push the Atari's limits for good, should always win. And, if people don't prefer that, at least a special price for innovative software should go to the creator of such fine stuff.

I really doubt whether you have played it at all or perhaps a few minutes. A lot of modern games can't keep me interested for a long time, but both RGB and Dimo's quest kept me for days connected to my Atari setup.

I could not decide, so I gave both games 10 points. Ransack is very cool too, but in the end it did not please me as much as the other two games.

This is why I love abbuc. It is because of this contest that we have all this brandnew and fabulous titles. I really doubt we would have it all without the contest.

But those rules will drop the engagement of people who want to do stuff for the A8, know very much about it , do well stuff , and get the dishonour from the community.

You HAVE to be a real fan of the A8, to stand against that. In normal cicrumstances, people would instantly leave any development on that platform, and well, they also did in the past.

Edited by emkay

I don't know which rules you mean... But if you are a member, go to the meeting, make suggestions about changing rules, discuss with other members and than the present members will decide it by voting. That is democracy.

But stinking here on AtariAge doesn't makes sense.

• Like 1

@emkay

So you actually think that people only give points because of a video? Are you an abbuc member? I guess most atari lovers are really thrilled to receive their magazines, and most of them really can't wait to fire up their atari and explore the Contest floppy disk (well I was)... and I am really sure they have playing and trying the games, and already decided to give points then.

I think both dimo and rgb received almost equal points. I'm really curious what the final amount of points was for these two games.

I can imagine that a lot of people (I read already a few members here did that, myself included) awarded both rgb and dimo's quest with 10 points.

So in reality it can be that there is only a difference of a few points.

I seriously think that the discussion about this is more dangerous, than the fact that perhaps a not entirely finished title (I still don't see why Dimo's Quest isn't completed but ok) can contribute.

This contest delivers us amazing games. Please take that in mind, and don't concentrate too much on possible negative sides.

In the end I suppose nobody here joins the contest for the money to win... And I also really believe that authors of titles like X:8 really have the intention to complete their game. They are true atari 8bit lovers.

The contest is a fabulous chance to get yourself a goal. I love ramp rage for that reason. Jason did an awesome job on that game, and for me he is a real winner. He created his first assembler only game. It doesn't matter that he did not win this contest, but man... he can be so proud of his work.

That's by the way the original philosophy of abbuc. Abbuc... der club zum Mitmachen. (Abbuc, the club to participate).

I really like that!

• Like 3