IGNORED

Gauging Interest for New Magazine

snicklin

The idea of producing a new magazine sounds excellent.

Perhaps information can be edited/collected from various posts here - and put together in a coherent article - as it may not be necessary to reinvent the wheel so to speak - for certain topics.

Sounds really good to have a guide to encourage more people to develop new games/etc for the old A8 etc hardware.

I don't know what the future would be for Atari retrogaming - as I think it's likely to be old timers who worked on it previously, would like to give it one last shot?

That it's likened to those of other obsolete hardware/whatever - eg. classic car restorers, steam locomotive enthusiasts, etc.

I'll guess that for young people new to developing - they would be better off developing for new/current hardware - and that if it is expensive/costly to develop for these platforms - then retrogame development would be seen to be cost free - and the tools, etc readily accessible.

Most people would be glad to help out - in some way or another with it. Especially when it presents new information/material not seen elsewhere.

Thank you to everyone who has offered to help. I'm still trying to think how it could be formulated together.

As has been mentioned, reinventing the wheel isn't needed, so I do have an idea.

My idea is almost like a "Mapping the Atari" "bible" book with everything in it that anybody could need for modern development. Memory maps, modern tools and overviews of using them, links/references to binaries etc.

I'm not great enough to write it though, but with permissions from other authors, if other resources could be hacked apart, mixed up and assembled back together, a great book could be written.

I still don't have the time to do this though.

By the way, I heard the mention of this on the Antic podcast, thank you for this.

Edited by snicklin