IGNORED

Does anyone make new Atari 8-bit cartridge shells?

Albert

...one possibly important information is missing - the depth of the shell - i.e. how much space is above and below the PCB. That's why technical drawings in CAD could be useful. But I understand that they would make the project easier to copy.

19 hours ago, Wilheim said:

Thank you, Mq, for your answer. For the “bottom”, I supone you mean the back side of the cartridge. Is that way?

Yes, I mean the back side of the cartridge.

There are two layers in the Eagle: top and bottom. In my template top layer is back side of the cartridge.

But I think there is no any problem for someone who designes cartridges, because there is proper pinout description on pcb template.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mq. said:

Yes, I mean the back side of the cartridge.

There are two layers in the Eagle: top and bottom. In my template top layer is back side of the cartridge.

But I think there is no any problem for someone who designes cartridges, because there is proper pinout description on pcb template.

Thank you! That’s all I need to know. I don’t have my laptop on hand so I couldn’t see your files on Eagle yet.

Would be nice to have a PCB for the switchable XEGS model done as I think any out there are mod'd XEGS boards?

The ideal would be to use a PLCC32 socket and so be able to choose which size (010, 020, 040) to use as the AM29F080 would require soldering onto the board and so would have to be flashed up front unless a GAL similar to the AtariMax could be made to enable reflashing.

Although an 010 is 128KB it should be OK to run 32KB or 64KB images by repeating the binary to fill the space.

(of course this is for making dedicated releases as users of AVG/UNO/Ultimate/The!Cart etc can emulate the S/XEGS model from a binary image)

41 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Would be nice to have a PCB for the switchable XEGS model done as I think any out there are mod'd XEGS boards?

The ideal would be to use a PLCC32 socket and so be able to choose which size (010, 020, 040) to use as the AM29F080 would require soldering onto the board and so would have to be flashed up front unless a GAL similar to the AtariMax could be made to enable reflashing.

Although an 010 is 128KB it should be OK to run 32KB or 64KB images by repeating the binary to fill the space.

(of course this is for making dedicated releases as users of AVG/UNO/Ultimate/The!Cart etc can emulate the S/XEGS model from a binary image)

I already made one:

image.thumb.png.5a07f76bafba84a4329a0bdfa78a7b14.png

Now I'm trying to make the switchable version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to say, but it is an auto-router nightmare, not a PCB design. Traces are to close together, there is lots of vias, each trace from data and address buses is of different length. You don't care about signal path parasitic capacitance, propagation time, crosstalk nor bandwidth. No bypass capacitors near the chips, and the only filtering capacitor is in the middle of nowhere. You just draw a schematic, placed component on a PCB outline and clicked autoroute. This is not the way you design a PCB.

Edited by tzok
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tzok said:

Sorry to say, but it is an auto-router nightmare, not a PCB design. Traces are to close together, there is lots of vias, each trace from data and address buses is of different length. You don't care about signal path parasitic capacitance, propagation time, crosstalk nor bandwidth. No bypass capacitors near the chips, and the only filtering capacitor is in the middle of nowhere. You just draw a schematic, placed component on a PCB outline and clicked autoroute. This is not the way you design a PCB.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm not used to all those concepts you named. I never studied electronics and all I did was self-learned, by learning different schematics and, as you stated, never cared of that things. All I tried is to adjust the width from Vcc and GND.

Fortunately, I was lucky enough that my designs have worked until now. In the future, I will try to learn all the above and put them into practice.

Cheers!

Edited by Wilheim
  • Like 1

I always manually route my designs and try to find a way to minimize the number of vias. I think if you put the EEPROMs on opposite sides, you can much easilier route the address and data lines. Probably same for the GALs. Also, put 100n caps close to Vcc/GND for each IC. That'll solve a lot of problems. Add a ground and power fill, or two ground fills. Opinions on this differ. I prefer GND at the bottom and Vcc on top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivop said:

I always manually route my designs and try to find a way to minimize the number of vias. I think if you put the EEPROMs on opposite sides, you can much easilier route the address and data lines. Probably same for the GALs. Also, put 100n caps close to Vcc/GND for each IC. That'll solve a lot of problems. Add a ground and power fill, or two ground fills. Opinions on this differ. I prefer GND at the bottom and Vcc on top.

Thank you for your suggestion. I prefer that way because I can put sockets for the eproms. The GALs ICs I'm not concerned to be socketed, as they performing simple logical work, so I just can solder them directly.

Anyway, I followed some of your feedback, that is: adding decoupling capacitors, routing them as close as possible to VCC and GND to each IC (considering, also, easiness to install and inserting/removing EPROMs from the sockets), ground and supply filling (thanks, YouTube tutorials!), resulting on this:

image.thumb.png.2005b31661e2023f22f0f0df197dd919.png

I'm aware that there's a lot to improve, but I'm learning step by step.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 11:13 AM, Wilheim said:

Here's my work in progress so far, trying to make a Megacart 4M compatible with 2 27c160 eproms. The GALSs are on the other side, to save space

image.thumb.png.79f5753184316f0df0e66d563ed0fba5.png

Just curious - why are the ICs angled like that?  It looks to me like they would fit is parallel to each other, but I assume this was for clearance issues?

I propose you to move ICs about 2-3mm in direction I drawn with yellow arrows. I marked two places with yellow color where they are  colliding with bulkheads inside the enclosure.
On the pcb template there are thick white lines that marks every bulkheads. In addition look at the pictures of enclosure to ensure which bulkheads are at top side and which are at bottom side.

image.thumb.png.7010b4f454a6914fa894fd36cf66ac9d.png

35 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Just curious - why are the ICs angled like that?  It looks to me like they would fit is parallel to each other, but I assume this was for clearance issues?

They are angled because they don’t fit horizontally or vertically. I tried that way and I only managed to fit just 1 eprom. It’s the only way i could make them fit both so far.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mq. said:

I propose you to move ICs about 2-3mm in direction I drawn with yellow arrows. I marked two places with yellow color where they are  colliding with bulkheads inside the enclosure.
On the pcb template there are thick white lines that marks every bulkheads. In addition look at the pictures of enclosure to ensure which bulkheads are at top side and which are at bottom side.

image.thumb.png.7010b4f454a6914fa894fd36cf66ac9d.png

Good point! I didn’t realize that. Bu the way, what about the upper left and upper right bulkheads? Is there any issue regarding it?