IGNORED

Manufacturing a New Run of Pro-Controllers

Rick Dangerous

Im actually really good at AvP but actually finding all the keycards and weapons as the Marine is a freaking daunting task that takes untold amounts of hours of mindlessly walking hallways and airducts that I just cant put up with. I get bored. And lost.

These sentences completely contradict one another. :P

These sentences completely contradict one another. :P

Beating AvP as the Marine has nothing to do with being good at the game. That is the game's flaw. Its way too drawn out and way too much searching and walking around. A game is flawed when you have to use freaking graph paper to try to map out the levels. That should be incorporated in the game on the tv. The game is too free roaming, not enough hints. Too frustrating to beat. It can be done but only if you are a narcissist with dozens of hours to spare. I am talking from the perspective of playing the game for the first time with no cheats or hints or maps. Not talking about you guys that have already beaten the game (probably using some sort of help) and now you find the game not that hard to beat.

Beating AvP as the Marine has nothing to do with being good at the game. That is the game's flaw. Its way too drawn out and way too much searching and walking around. A game is flawed when you have to use freaking graph paper to try to map out the levels. That should be incorporated in the game on the tv. The game is too free roaming, not enough hints. Too frustrating to beat. It can be done but only if you are a narcissist with dozens of hours to spare. I am talking from the perspective of playing the game for the first time with no cheats or hints or maps. Not talking about you guys that have already beaten the game (probably using some sort of help) and now you find the game not that hard to beat.

That's why I added an auto-map to my 32X port of Wolf3D, which I then ported back to the PSP version. I find an auto-map indispensable on games like Wolf3D, Doom, AvP...

This was 20 years ago when I first got it. I had no cheats or help. There was no maps for AvP available at the time. And saying that it is a flaw is a matter of opinion. It was simple to do. And I believe I only needed to map out the duct system.

I was thinking of buying a pro-controller off ebay and sending it to an electronics manufacturer to clone and produce. I have a number of entrepreneur friends who have done similar things and I don't think it would be as impossible as some might think. I would like to do this domestically (US) or perhaps if the situation warrants, China. The build spec would have to be at least to first party, if not better.

I don't think the components would be the expensive part, but rather the molds (for plastic parts.) I know generic N64 controllers have been done recently using the old molds. Once I had an estimate for the cost for a low number run (realistically probably about 500 at the very least) I could invest some of my own savings, and perhaps do a kick-starter?

It seems like there are about 5-10 games that really benefit from the use of the pro controller, and more that possibly could (homebrews) if they were readily available. It also seems a bit more compact and ergonomically friendly, and I don't know of a collector that wouldn't like to get their hands on one (mostly for its functionality).

They are obviously ridiculously rare, since there are top developers for the system that don't even own one.

Am I crazy for even looking into this, or what are the communities thoughts?

I wouldn't be opposed to this, as I like the Jaguar ProController. However, at this point in time, I don't think I'd want an exact replica of the ProController. If you could obtain the controller moldings, then that's fine, but I'd at least like to see improvements made to the D-pad and buttons. Remember, this controller was designed 19 years ago, and we could look back on the history of other systems' controllers to see what has worked and what hasn't worked.

Alternatively, you could consider what a few people have suggested, and instead create an adapter that could connect another system's controller (such as Genesis, SNES, Saturn, or PlayStation) to the Jaguar controller port. I'd also recommend including another port on the adapter that would enable you to plug in a standard Jaguar controller, so that you could use the numeric keypad or Pause and Option buttons.

Hey guys, have not at all forgotten about this by any means. After a few follow up emails, Steve got back to me with this today:

Rick, will get back to you, just been super busy!!

Steve

I will keep working on him. In the meantime, if anyone could PM me suggestions for electronics firms that I could start getting quotes from for a controller run that might be helpful. Anyone work in industries that subcontract to electronics manufacturers?

Beating AvP as the Marine has nothing to do with being good at the game. It can be done but only if you are a narcissist with dozens of hours to spare.

JagChris is most DEFINITELY, an absolute, grade-A narcissist.

Without doubt, he maps his AvP airduct plans to graph paper utilising a mirror, at all times...

Hahah... I take it you never played the AD&D Gold Box series games during the 80s and early 90s? That is EXACTLY what you had to do in many cases... heh.

I spent many nights doing that.

• Like 1

Masochist.

Oops ya that was the word I meant. I knew it was one of the "ists" I was looking for, chose the wrong one. I meant you have to be a masochist to beat avp as marine. not narcissist. Ive just never been one to enjoy difficult games much.

Oops ya that was the word I meant. I knew it was one of the "ists" I was looking for, chose the wrong one. I meant you have to be a masochist to beat avp as marine. not narcissist. Ive just never been one to enjoy difficult games much.

Heh, it's fine dude! I knew what you meant. Just funnin' with ya...

• Like 1

You don't need steel molds for plastic injection molding these days, a number of companies now use aluminium molds. These don't last nearly as long as steel ones but really do bring the price down a lot.

A lot of the advances in casting and molding are happening in the miniature wargaming field, so that could be a way to direct your search.

One company you may want to talk to is Renedra: http://www.renedra.co.uk/index.php

They produce a number of quite large scenery pieces in plastic, they are really highly regarded in the industry and perform contract work for a lot of other manufacturers.

It may also be worth considering a resin-plastic hybrid. A few years back the strength wasn't really there but these days, with the recent advances, there are a few mixes which could well be strong enough. Going down this route avoids injection molding all together and opens up spincasting, meaning vastly cheaper moulds and the possibility of much shorter production runs. One US-based company you may want to look at is TrollForged and their TrollCast material: http://trollforged.com/store/trollcast.html

As with Renedra I believe these guys will handle the production end for you, leaving you with just the design and costs.

Hope that helps some.

• Like 6

Im actually really good at AvP but actually finding all the keycards and weapons as the Marine is a freaking daunting task that takes untold amounts of hours of mindlessly walking hallways and airducts that I just cant put up with. I get bored. And lost.

What I meant was, any time I have bought a cheap video game product from china it has been complete junk. Aftermarket AC adapters, controllers, cables cords etc / w/e either the stuff didn't work at all or it functioned horribly. Or how about the aftermarket car mirror I bought that was supposed to be a replacement for the original, only the holes didn't line up AT ALL and the thing was a total piece of junk. china quality standards are super low because they are all about beating the world with low prices and the only way to do that is slave labor and those slaves don't give a damn about making a quality product, infact they are encouraged to do everything FAST to hell with if the product isn't perfect... ;) Sure there is some good products from china but most of it is walmart grade stuff. Stuff that doesn't even work when brand new or breaks not long after use or is just all around janky.

Your phone? Your router? Your printer? Your monitor? Your PS3? Your television?

You get what you pay for, and most of it is made in China. If you want a high end graphics card, it'll be made in China. If you want a $2 car mirror from Walmart, it will be made in China. I can only assume that if someone wants to make these controllers, they are probably going to go to the people who can make a high end graphics card, not a $2 Walmart car mirror...

• Like 2

All I am saying is more than once I bought a brand new knockoff video game item from China and it didn't even work in brand new condition. and then there are other items I have bought that were just really junky. Im saying, it will be cool to have 3rd party jag 6 buttons, but be careful, if too little is paid to the Chinese they will send you utter crap. And the whole thing wouldn't even be worth it.

Start a Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign. I'll back it. Also, post on NeoGAF, GameFAQs, and European retro game sites to gather exposure. NeoGAF is the best place to post this kind of stuff.

And as I mentioned earlier, we'd need to get the rest of the Atari community involved as well. Not just STe and Falcon owners but long suffering 5200 owners since either the standard JagPad or the Jaguar ProPad would make for the ultimate 5200 controller. Pac-Man Plus did a mod to one of his 7800s that used a VGA plug to connect a Wii fighting stick to it which means a JagPad mod for the 7800 is doable. Likewise, Candle's Lynx VGA output mod may offer an external controller port option and having more JagPads on the market might compel him to offer that as an option in addition to the DB9 for Genesis/MegaDrive pads.

And after including just about ever Atari platform option, then there's also other platforms that could benefit from more supply made available, such as the Intellivision and Colecovision. The Colecovision mod was pretty impressive in this regard:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/184611-atari-jaguar-controller-for-colecovision/

• Like 1

A Jagpad for the 5200 would need a thumbstick to replace the d-pad. A stick is betted suited for those oldschool games. Also, the controllers were analogue on the 5200, so I suppose that it wouldn't even work with the same interiors as the Jag version (digital). And even if it wasn't the case modding a stndard controller might be more logical as the 6 face buttons of pro controllers would be useless.

The ony real pro for using Jagpads for the 5200 is the keypad. But it seems like a lot of hassle to change so much just because there's a keypad. Might be easier to buy a cheap USB analogue controller and mod that. Would likely be more ergonomic, prepared for analogue, and dirt cheap.

As for the Lynx... serously, there is no reason at all. No keypad needed anyway, and with theGenesis 6-button or SNES pads we'd have cheap pads accessible, Good buttons, better d-pads, no waste of a keypad, low price and a form factor most people prefer anyway. I would not want the mod to be more exensive to add a pad few people would use anyway.

• Like 2

All I am saying is more than once I bought a brand new knockoff video game item from China and it didn't even work in brand new condition. and then there are other items I have bought that were just really junky. Im saying, it will be cool to have 3rd party jag 6 buttons, but be careful, if too little is paid to the Chinese they will send you utter crap. And the whole thing wouldn't even be worth it.

Hey I just looked at the back of my Jaguar controller. Guess where it's made? :grin:

• Like 1