IGNORED

Manufacturing a New Run of Pro-Controllers

Rick Dangerous

4 pages in and no pre-order yet? :rolling:

Don't want to make any promises I can't keep. :P Definitely working on this one, it's going to have to be a slow and deliberate process to do it right, and unfortunately that means months. If I hit a wall I will definitely post something about what the issue is, but otherwise assume I am working on it.

Writing down a list of resources that have been posted/PM'd today and sending some emails. Still nothing from Steve at Imagin but I don't want to bug him and he said he'd get back to me. I'm starting to wonder though if molds are really the way to go, and not 3d printing or cheaper temporary molds.

Will update as news comes in! Thanks for all the pertinent info that has been posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Radio silence from imagin.. The last I heard from him he said he was busy but would get back to me. I will heck back in in a week or two if I don't hear anything.

I have been trying to acquire a pro controller from eBay for analysis/copying purposes. They pop up rarely and are VERY expensive these days. The one I was following yesterday went for $182. There is a pair on right now that I'm going to go balls out for. One for me to use and one for me to send somewhere to be replicated (if that in fact winds up being the best option)

I'm was on Ben Hecks website yesterday and I'm thinking of dropping him a line just to get his take on it. He seems to do this sort of this for new prototypes with small to medium runs for large companies. I don't think he'd be likely to be interested in the project itself, but he could have some good resources available as far as companies that do.

So still working on it, have some emails out and trying to acquire some controllers! Definitely not letting this one go.

• Like 1

I have been trying to acquire a pro controller from eBay for analysis/copying purposes.

I don't remember if I said that before or not, but have you tried the usual Atari resellers? (Best Electronics, B&C, 16/32 systems, Telegames). They don't list Pro controllers in their catalogs, but maybe they have some left.

Are the pro controllers really worth it tho ? Seeing most games never really used the extra buttons ?

While I question how much of an audience (number of buyers) there is for such a thing, there's no denying that the six button controller is the best Atari made controller since the original Atari 2600 joystick. I personally think the three button controller is an ergonomic nightmare, but the six button is a relative joy to use. For that alone, it's worth increasing the supply if it's reasonably doable.

• Like 3

Are the pro controllers really worth it tho ? Seeing most games never really used the extra buttons ?

It's being overstated how great the procontroller is. All it does is map keypad buttons to other buttons. It lacks any kind of rapid-fire/turbo options, which was standard on every other aftermarket controller of the time, even being a standard feature of the TG-16 pads.

Yes, there is a minor difference in the slope of the d-pad/main button area, making it slightly more comfortable, and the main buttons are slightly upgraded also. Functionally, very few games take 'advantage' of the extra buttons. In fact, I would say Battlesphere is the game that most utilizes the pro-controller layout, and very few can afford that game either.

I find the idea of manufacturing more procontrollers rather silly to be honest. Those resources would be better served designing a custom joystick with all the contemporary features like slow-mo and rapid fire. The keypad is what screws everything up for modders and stick builders. I couldn't get MASsystems to build me a Jaguar stick, but had no problem with them building me a Neo Geo arcade stick 10 years ago.

the six button controller is the best Atari made controller since the original Atari 2600 joystick.

I think the 7800 euro controller is great..Much better high scores for me using that over the 2600 stick

So yiu wouldn't spend £70 on one then ?

Try 108 Pounds or $180 US Dollars. That is the going rate for them for the last several auctions on ebay. Frustrating as hell... Someone out there wants them pretty bad.

A number of people have said "well if they're over $50 bucks, I'm not getting one!" Well expect them to cost $60-$100 if they turn out well. There is no way songbird is selling carts for $80-115 bucks and making a modest profit, and I would be able to break even at $50. It's more of a project for the community than a business venture, but I certainly don't plan on losing money on these.

All hypothetical at this point. Still doing my due diligence, which is plenty. Also trying to bid on some pro controllers tonight and win so please don't make me spend $400....

Nice prototype pro-controller, I like the black dpad but the red dpad looks cool too. There used to be a seller in the UK/France a few years or more ago, that had a decent stock of new boxed procontrollers - I did buy a few, but I cant remember the name of the company, they were prolly $50-$75 usd with the shipping included. If anyone can remember the name or knows about it that would be good, as I would likely recognize the name, otherwise I'll have to comb thru past receipts to try and find the purchase. But their maybe all sold out of 'em now anyways.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Welp. I am the proud owner of a brand new, sealed in box, Atari Jaguar Pro Controller

This one is for personal use I am thinking. I would have a hard time sending this one in to go in under the knife, since there are plenty of scruffy ones that go up on ebay every month or two. Keeping an eye out for a "donor" controller :)

edit: And no, for those that are wondering, I did not pay anything near the 600 buck "buy it now" asking price...

post-38373-0-35234200-1408649063_thumb.jpg

Edited by travistouchdown

email to Ben Heck sent today:

Hey Ben,

I have been a big fan of yours over the years. I just wanted to run an idea by you and get your perspective on the matter.

There is a severe shortage of Jaguar Pro Controllers available for the existing fan base and homebrew community. This is too bad because it’s really a very superior controller when contrasted with the stock issue. Additionally having access to the extra buttons would be great for homebrew developers and people trying to play the games from late in the systems life that utilized them.

My idea is to do a low volume production run of copies. I have been in touch with Steve at Imagin systems, and he does have the original molds for sale if it becomes necessary to acquire those. I was thinking though, that for a run of around 500 controllers, it might be cheaper to have the controller scanned and 3D printed? I was also thinking of buying a well-worn used Pro Controller off eBay and sending it to a company to be reverse engineered and produced.

What are your thoughts on this? Feasible in any way or not so much? If you think it might be worth pursuing I would love some hints/ideas for moving forward with this project, such as which companies might be able to handle such a production request.

Thanks!

-Rick

500 controllers! What are you going to do with the other 400+ you don't potentially sell?

Well, after hooking 8 up to two Team Taps, I will make a chair out of them, from which I will do all my jaguar gaming. :grin:

I bet you would be surprised how quickly a few hundred would sell...might take a few years to sell the rest, but I'm okay with that. I'd like to make arrangements with the company to produce more if necessary, but we are still putting the cart way ahead of the horse when we talk about "potential sales." Right now I'm more concerned with the possibility and prices involved in the manufacturing process...

• Like 2

Well, after hooking 8 up to two Team Taps, I will make a chair out of them, from which I will do all my jaguar gaming. :grin:

I bet you would be surprised how quickly a few hundred would sell...might take a few years to sell the rest, but I'm okay with that. I'd like to make arrangements with the company to produce more if necessary, but we are still putting the cart way ahead of the horse when we talk about "potential sales." Right now I'm more concerned with the possibility and prices involved in the manufacturing process...

If someone could port the Genesis version of Gauntlet over to the Jaguar but hack it further to add 4 more players and call it "Gauntlet Ocho Edition", those controllers would fly off the shelves. The Team Tap would most likely require a new run as well.

Granted, it would probably be easier to port Gauntlet 2 from the ST or the Amiga over to the Jag.