IGNORED

Make Atari games without programming!

Aloan

http://community.clickteam.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13886&d=1405875266

I have updated my webpage to say this won't play on a real Atari 2600 console, etc...

I discovered how to set the boundary limits, so car driving is ok for what it represents now. The mfa has been updated once more with split-screen scrolling as in the old Atari 2600 days, and it is better due to the car not shaking anymore when the game was in scrolling mode. in the driving demo level you will read a text which shows what I plan for the future of the mfa.. a ridable bycicle, motorcycle, jobs to do to get money.
Places you can access only on foot or on the bike. Enterable buildings, shopping malls, clubs, beach etc.
download here: http://aloan.site90.net/atari_graphics_simplified.html

The only noticeable thing is that this is sort of a Super Atari 2600 because it is accepting much more sprites on the screen than it is possible, which allows for bigger unified sprites (detailed cars for example)

Edited by Aloan

Some of us already know this, but it doesn't change the fact that the title of his page is "Make Atari 2600 Games With No Programming." It's misleading. On top of that, some stupid people might think that they can make games that will play on a real Atari 2600 using Multimedia Fusion 2.

Changing the name of the page to "Make Simulated Atari 2600 Games With No Programming" or "Make Atari 2600 Inspired Games Without Programming" would clear things up.

Can I still edit it? you are right! but I don't see the edit button anymore! thanks for clarifying it.

Perhaps a better title would be "Make Fake Atari 2600 Games with No Programming"

those are all good mate! someone help me on how to edit the title I don't see the edit button anymore. I will also change my webpage to reflect the change and will also clarify that it cannot play on a real Atari 2600 console!

Edited by Aloan

Am I the only one who wants a Backin89/Shat/HelloKitty/CrackPipe 2600 game? Can one of our talented programmers of REAL 2600 games please make this? :D

Come on, that thing would fly off Atariage virtual shelves faster than a crackpipe smoking Shatner going downhill on a hello kitty bike

I'm still waiting for somebody to make Pancake Boy.

(If you don't get the reference, search for it. It's worth it.)

• Like 2

I did, thanks mate!

Did you do anything different to the page besides changing the title? I could go to it earlier today, but now Comodo pops up with a warning:

Warning: Unsafe Website Blocked! site90.net

This website has been blocked temporarily because of the following reason(s):

• Phishing: Site may be criminally fraudulent attempting to collect your personal information by masquerading as a legitimate site

Edit:

Never mind. Now it's letting me go to the page.

Did you do anything different to the page besides changing the title? I could go to it earlier today, but now Comodo pops up with a warning:

Warning: Unsafe Website Blocked! site90.net

This website has been blocked temporarily because of the following reason(s):

• Phishing: Site may be criminally fraudulent attempting to collect your personal information by masquerading as a legitimate site

Wow, it does not happen to me at all as can be seen on the screen grab above. It is served by 000webhost. It may be the hit counters that I have there! since I got it free from another website. But it does not contain virus. I made the website myself and have all the html pages saved here with me on my pc. If you find anything using the google developer tool, I'd be glad to know, thanks

Edited by Aloan

Wow, it does not happen to me at all. It is served by 000webhost. It may be the hit counters that I have there! since I got it free from another website. But it does not contain virus. I made the website myself and have all the html pages saved here with me on my pc. If you find anything using the google developer tool, I'd be glad to know, thanks

I just edited my post. It's now letting me go there with no warning message.

screenshot looks doable to me:

attachicon.gifdriving caddy.png

I'd throw something together to test it, but my weekend's already booked.

Yes. All sprites respect the 8 pixels wide limit. If they are bigger, they've been horizontally stretched by that 2 or 4 factor (clouds and houses for example) The house is made of 2 stretched (factor of 4) sprites or joined (cars). The coloring follows the per scanline regulation and so the only thing which is not possible is the amount of sprites on the screen. That's is why the executable calls it a Super Atari 2600. It is a good cheating as we can have more sprites on screen, (more colors) but still respecting the per scanline coloring and sprite size limit. The palette used is (according to my knowledge) original with white being #ECECEC

Edited by Aloan

here are a couple of trees. They are 8 pixels wide stretched to a factor of 4 and the coconut and banana fruits are each a separate non streched sprite.

Updated game making file and instant executable have been uploaded.

while at it, here are my other works: http://aloan.site90.net/videogame.html

the "Atari 2600 OS" is the only file I (because of lack of knowledge) did not make it as faithful. I will remake it so it is as faithful as possible to the Atari 2600 limitations. After all, that is what I crave for. The only cheat is more sprites than possible, which translates to more colors per scanline possible. I feel tempted to cheat on the tiny 8 pixels wide sprite size and give it unlimited size. That will allow for a full screen Super Atari, or Atari 10000 which never existed (lol), which can be seen in the executable at the Woody Woodpecker and She-Ra screens. But I do point out in the game maker file what levels I understand are not possible on a real Atari 2600.

Edited by Aloan

Yes. All sprites respect the 8 pixels wide limit. If they are bigger, they've been horizontally stretched by that 2 or 4 factor (clouds and houses for example) The house is made of 2 stretched (factor of 4) sprites or joined (cars). The coloring follows the per scanline regulation and so the only thing which is not possible is the amount of sprites on the screen. That's is why the executable calls it a Super Atari 2600. It is a good cheating as we can have more sprites on screen, (more colors) but still respecting the per scanline coloring and sprite size limit. The palette used is (according to my knowledge) original with white being #ECECEC

For some reason the images you posted in that reply are showing up as broken.

You're forgetting to use the playfield. Sure they're super low res, but it works great to draw items like the house. The number of players (sprites) in your mockup, if the house is drawn with the playfield, is just fine - you don't even need to flicker anything.

As seen in Air-Sea-Battle, game #2 in the Atari's library, it's been known for a long time that the players can be reused vertically without having to flicker them:

s_AirSeaBattle_3.png

The tradeoff is the black bars on the left edge, and those can even be eliminated by using techniques that have been learned since then.

• 1 year later...

Of those the "shop" could be done, the others would require flicker.

yeah! thanks! I see obvious mistakes, I must not make things in between.. I have to keep (abide to) things respecting their scan lines. I will edit once more. I want it to be faithful :)

For some reason the images you posted in that reply are showing up as broken.

You're forgetting to use the playfield. Sure they're super low res, but it works great to draw items like the house. The number of players (sprites) in your mockup, if the house is drawn with the playfield, is just fine - you don't even need to flicker anything.

As seen in Air-Sea-Battle, game #2 in the Atari's library, it's been known for a long time that the players can be reused vertically without having to flicker them:

s_AirSeaBattle_3.png

The tradeoff is the black bars on the left edge, and those can even be eliminated by using techniques that have been learned since then.

I never understood exactly what caused the black bars with early games, but they seem to be noticeably absent in every homebrew I've ever played.

I never understood exactly what caused the black bars with early games, but they seem to be noticeably absent in every homebrew I've ever played.

The black bars are caused by using the HMOVE feature of TIA (the video chip) to move the objects (players[sprites], missiles and/or ball) left/right.

If the screen is black you won't normally notice them:

post-3056-0-91807400-1440614994_thumb.jpg

though you will if the display's contrast/brightness are adjusted too high:

post-3056-0-77066600-1440615041_thumb.jpg

The purple arrow in the second screenshot points to the HMOVE bars that are used to make the dragon look better. See reply 16 in the Space Rocks homebrew topic for more info about that.

The green arrow points to the HMOVE bar that's used to reposition the two players[sprites] to draw the lower shields.

The specs say to hit HMOVE at the start of the scan line:

The HMOVE command must immediately follow a WSYNC (Wait for SYNC) to insure the HMOVE operation occurs during horizontal blanking.

but people eventually figured out that if you didn't follow the rules and hit it towards the end of the scan line the black bar wouldn't show up. There is a major difference though in that an HMOVE at the start of the scanline can shift the objects left OR right while an HMOVE at the end of the scan line can only shift them in one direction - as such the end-of-line HMOVE won't work for tricks like smoothing out the dragon in Medieval Mayhem.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey all - the make Atari like games without programming in assembly has moved to here: https://aloan.000webhostapp.com/atari_graphics_simplified.html

I was reading this old post again and I must say I agree with all the critics and purists!

You are all right and I still wish I could change the title but I can not find any buttons to do so...

All i am looking for is to get people excited to make (as faithful as possible) Atari-like games if they do not know how to program and are (let's say) artists like me who know how to draw and or make midi music which will then be eventually converted to atari 2600-like bleeps and noises by using specific software that can do such a thing!

Edited by Aloan