IGNORED

CGE Attendance

interesting to know about cge, as a fellow show organzizer(I run Video Game summit in IL) I do know it takes time to find a good location and date,so it will be while before anything is announced.

I'm in the same boat,looking for a new venue to host vgs since our old one won't be used after this year.

Agreed. running the early years of the anime central convention in chicago, it was darn near impossible to get everything set for the date and location before the current year's show.

Scott mentioned on the RGR show that it was a bit tough to estimate since CGE didn't really keep accurate records to compare against but they had an estimated 2x-3x the number of attendees this year compared to 2012 and the hotel was very happy with the room block #s, and wanting them to sign up for '15 before they even left the grounds.

gavv

Edited by gavvv

Scott mentioned on the RGR show that it was a bit tough to estimate since CGE didn't really keep accurate records to compare against but they had an estimated 2x-3x the number of attendees this year compared to 2012 and the hotel was very happy with the room block #s, and wanting them to sign up for '15 before they even left the grounds.

gavv

Good news. Glad it did well!

hmm, and no date for 2015 on their website...

There wasn't one in 2013 - I got "stuck" in Vegas for the entire month of August and when I put 2+2 together (realizing that I was in town when CGE is typically held), I spent a solid day madly Googling only to find out that they often skip alternate years. Not sure if that's always been the case but seems to be in recent history.

Great to hear on the attendance. I wish I had the ability to haul my spare stuff out that way for next time, because I could have competed with most of the dealers there in terms of volume just on spare carts alone. It seemed like a lot of people really brought a ton of rare, highly-priced stuff, which is nice to see - but you don't serve the casual collectors and families that way. I would have loved to see a few more large boxes of common and semi-rare stuff, not just one box of 2600 commons for several dollars each and a $400 Qbert's Qubes (making this last one up but it was a lot like that). But I'm an old school con guy; I love tables just packed end-to-end with goods and prices set so that you sell 50-75% of what you bring. There wasn't quite enough "shopping" for my spoiled tastes. And the swap meet was a near-complete void, but I think that one caught everyone by surprise.

I'm also a whiny arctic Canadian and wish it would be held a month or 2 later, when going to Vegas is actually an improvement weather-wise and not a 105 degree furnace. :D

Edited by freeweed

So how do we find out about cge? I was not aware until it was too late to plan for it. Also they should change the name to canadian gaming expo. I think you guys might have outnumbered the americans there :D

Because of the small amount of advertising around it, I actually found out completely by chance. I was heading to Vegas for a weekend and figured I'd check Craigslist, as prices in Vegas tend to be 1/2 to 1/3 what I usually see here in Canada. When I saw the CGE listing my jaw dropped and I started jumping up and down. Complete coincidence that I was there for the right weekend.

Friends in Vegas had no idea it was happening. Not that they're hard-core retro game geeks or anything, but they know about every comic/anime/etc con in town. And there wasn't really any indication in the Riv itself - if you weren't looking, you'd hardly know it was happening. That may be Vegas though; I have no idea if it's normal to not advertise conventions and such.

Plan on August 2016 if you don't hear otherwise. You should be able to see chatter about it here or Facebook or what have you, a few months in advance.

Edited by freeweed

There was a poster at Toy Shack that advertised the show. It was also mentioned on almost every single episode of RGR since February, and the CGE Facebook page has all the info. I know there were a couple big sites that might have posted about it, but other than that, it wasn't considered "news" worthy to other media.

I guess we'll have to make a bigger advertisement about it here on the forums when another convention is held.

I know that Scott has asked me if I'm interested in helping out as staff the next time around, and not just a volunteer

Agreed. running the early years of the anime central convention in chicago, it was darn near impossible to get everything set for the date and location before the current year's show.

gavv

Probably about 1000 from what I was informed. 2012 was a very low attendance from what I'm told (and experienced), but talking to Hardie and some of the others I was informed normal attendance is in the 500/600 range. Scott focused a lot on local advertising this year to start building up the local audience vs. relying on people flying in. That's something we've done at the Midwest Gaming Classic for years now, it's needed for the long term, and it works. That's why in our 13th year we're a 50,000 sq ft show in the neighborhood of 9000 for attendance over the two days vs. worrying how many people are going to fly in this year. (Though money and operations worries will never go away, no matter what size show you are).

As far as the people mentioning here about where you find out about a show like CGE, it's not like CGE is some recent secret. :) It's the longest running show actually. But in any case, that's what the events section of AtariAge is for. ;)

BTW, always happy to have more of an Intellivision presence at MGC if anyone here is interested. In the past it's been myself, Jeff (BassGuitari) and Chuck Gill with his awesome World Book Tutorvision.

As I said, second weekend of April. We've now officially announced it.

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

already posted a thread for it, and as I mentioned being unemployed puts me in maybe mode at this time to come,before my vacation pay covered my cost

now no income makes it hard for me to say yes right now.

So how do we find out about cge? I was not aware until it was too late to plan for it. Also they should change the name to canadian gaming expo. I think you guys might have outnumbered the americans there :D

I personally check the cgexpo.com website from time to time. I know it's held sometime between late July and mid-September, so I figure if I check it in April or May, I'll know if it's on for that year.

• Like 1