IGNORED

7800 XM update

Curt Vendel

I don't think the have's and have not's isn't bad if its like a Beef Drop VE vs Pokey. I love my VE edition. I think it would be more of an issue if games are strictly developed to use the extra ram. Then there is no option for those without XM correct?

I don't think the money saving aspect is a huge selling point. I'm assuming the cost saving aspect is strictly for Pokey games. So right now in the shop that only affects Circus AA & BBCQ. How would this affect a Commando repro? Could you make a reproduction cart without a Pokey and the XM pick that up?

How does this thing hook up? Does it just plug right on in on top?

• Like 1

Pokey chip = $10-$20.

Games like Bentley Bear and Super Circus = $55 without Pokey, $70 with.

$15 savings (at least, when going through the AA Store) x 3 carts = $45

...how'd you come up with only $10 on 3 carts? Or do you mean $10 per cart? Still, that's assuming you can find Pokey's for only $10. Pretty tough to do these days, with very few random and lucky exceptions. And then there's the time consuming hassle of desoldering, soldering, assembling a cart, slapping labels on, etc. :(

I meant $10 per cart, yes. You'd have to get to 15 games to make it a savings. There's only 3? maybe 4 carts in existence that use it, that I know of.

• Like 1

I can think of 8 that have been written with POKEY support. Two support it in the released version. The others could be offered as XM versions without POKEY in the cart.

Donkey Kong XM (supported in existing carts)
Beef Drop VE (supported in existing carts)
Pac-man 320
Ms. Pac-man 320 (dual pokey/tia version completed but not published)
Pac-man Collection (dual pokey/tia version completed but not published)
Super Circus AA
Bentley Bear Crystal Quest
Froggie
One more that I know of is in process
D2K
  • Like 5

I meant $10 per cart, yes. You'd have to get to 15 games to make it a savings. There's only 3? maybe 4 carts in existence that use it, that I know of.

PMC

BBCQ

DKPK/XM

SCAA

Froggie

(Edit: Beef Drop VE!)

Commando

Ballblazer

D2K

2018 ROMS?

• Like 1

PMC

BBCQ

DKPK/XM

SCAA

Froggie

Commando

Ballblazer

D2K

2018 ROMS?

commando and ballblazer already have pokey in them. Unless you're talking bootleg copies with the pokey not on board.

Not trying to be too nit-picky, but this thing has been 7-8 years in the making, there's still only 7/8 games programmed to take advantage of it. It'll be great to play those games with full pokey sound, but that's still not a "savings".

• Like 1

commando and ballblazer already have pokey in them. Unless you're talking bootleg copies with the pokey not on board.

Not trying to be too nit-picky, but this thing has been 7-8 years in the making, there's still only 7/8 games programmed to take advantage of it. It'll be great to play those games with full pokey sound, but that's still not a "savings".

Yes. I was talking ROMs, like on the Concerto, or a future SD cart that now is not so dependent on working with a POKEY, or repros, especially if those two games keep becoming more expensive - in a year or two or three a 7800 newbie or other non-owner may be saving $60-$100 just by not having to buy those two as original carts. That's not everybody, but it still counts, I think.

• Like 1

Here's a WIP of the ramps screen. I'm starting with it because it's the most demanding in terms of number of moving objects. I'm just working through the graphics code right now. When that's running I'm going to do a strait up conversion of the arcade code so it will play exactly the same. Marco is updating the graphics from what we did in DKXM. If you put it side by side with the XM version you should notice the ramps are more accurate. He just sent me a sample of Donkey Kong that is much improved as well.

rampswip2.jpg

Om so I bought dkpk and dkxm what is this new game? DkXM+?
  • Like 1

I dont think many games were made yet as not quite sure when it would come out if ever.

If it was made 7 years ago hundreds of pokeys could have been saved. Ballblazers were 3 bucks in the late 2000s.

• Like 1

It will play on a stock 7800 with TIA sound.

If an XM module is present, there will be the benefit of POKEY sound and HSC support.

Cool! One request. Make the 7800 version a smidge easier than the arcade version. Those 4 new levels were baby punchers.

• Like 1

Cool! One request. Make the 7800 version a smidge easier than the arcade version. Those 4 new levels were baby punchers.

I'm thinking two levels. Arcade something easier than arcade. Maybe a few special options like speedy Mario or something else to give the player an advantage.

• Like 4

It will play on a stock 7800 with TIA sound.

If an XM module is present, there will be the benefit of POKEY sound and HSC support.

As long as the TIA version doesn't sound like Atari's Retail 7800 DK.

I have Ballblazer set aside...

I don't have an XM and looks like it will be awhile before I will have an option to have one. :o

(...)Maybe a few special options like speedy Mario or something else to give the player an advantage.

Maybe you'd like to implement Carl's D2K Arcade new characters: Bruno and Toni.

Bruno is slow but can fall from higher (if I remember right, he also can climb with the hammer and his jump is shorter), Toni is faster, jumps longer but his jumps have a lower altitude.

Intellivision D2K

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision

As long as the TIA version doesn't sound like Atari's Retail 7800 DK.

Original 7800 DK is one of the worst examples of TIA utilized sound.

Providing one of the best examples of TIA sound utilization, see Joe Musashi's DK VCS in the spoiler below:

tep392 is one of several very talented developers that we are lucky enough to have created games on the 7800 platform.

This port sounding like original 7800 DK has a snowball's chance; it's not even worthy of hypothetical consideration. ;) :)

• Like 4

Original 7800 DK is one of the worst examples of TIA utilized sound.

Providing one of the best examples of TIA sound utilization, see Joe Musashi's DK VCS in the spoiler below:

tep392 is one of several very talented developers that we are lucky enough to have created games on the 7800 platform.

This port sounding like original 7800 DK has a snowball's chance; it's not even worthy of hypothetical consideration. ;) :)

I assumed if tep392 was on the case it would be of the up most quality. I haven't put a lot of time in on those 2600 DK HB's. I have tried both in the past but I don't remember the sounds.

I am sure it will be great, even if it is TIA.