IGNORED

Two Weeks in the Life of a New Jaguar Owner

Mendon

Hello to all!

Thought I would make a post of what a new Jaguar owner has found in the couple weeks I've had the system.

First off, I'm enjoying the system ALOT and the $50.00 I paid for it new in the box was money well spent. I bought the system off eBay and also purchased Tempest 2K and Iron Soldier games at the same time to get me started playing since no pack-in game was included. Since receiving the system and initial 2 games I have added Bubsy, Doom, Missile Command 3D, Defender 2K, Wolfenstein, and Alien Vs. Predator to my collection.

I watched eBay for a bit wanting to add a Jag CD to my growing collection; I saw new ones going for $150plus and used CD's with Jag base unit and games going for more and wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much for fear my wife would kick me out of the house if I did. I saw one auction that had a base unit, CD system, memory track and 4 games that wasn't getting a lot of attention so I bid on it and won the auction for $97.00 I thought this was a GREAT deal and couldn't wait for it to arrive. Unfortunately, when it did the CD unit was DOA. The system knew it was there as I got a Jag CD display screen with a spinning CD with a question mark in it but the CD never spun up at all. I tried everything but never got it to work. The seller said send it back and he would look at it and if he couldn't get it to work he'd refund my money. So I'm now waiting to see what comes of this.

In the meantime, I've been enjoying the cartridge games I've gotten. Like a kid at Christmas who can't decide which toy to play with first, I find myself playing a game for 20min or so, then jumping to another to play it. So far, and granted this is only 2weeks time, this is what I've found in the games I've played the most.

1) Tempest 2K - I LOVE THIS GAME; getting better and better each time I play and I love to crank the volumn up on the sound system and rattle the windows. Only complaint I have with the game at all is that sometimes its hard to see the enemies or their fire when words appear on the screen (like the 2,000pt msg or collect powerups, etc). This game alone makes the system worth having and would have spent more $$$ on the system just to play this game.

2) Bubsy - Unforgiving this game is. He might have 9 lives but they sure go fast. I have a Love - Hate relationship with this game as something drives me to keep trying to complete just one more level even as the frustration level rises with frequent deaths, despite how careful I am. Bubsy runs fast but you can't run much in this game as the nasties have a sneaky habit of appearing all to often. Those egg throwing snakes that are off screen yet still hit you make me MAD!!

3) Alien Vs. Predator - Another game that has made the system well worth the money spent. Very creepy atmosphere that has made me jump a couple times at night when I'm playing alone and a noise around the house pops up. Can't tell you how many times I've been lost in this game and have already started to make maps of the levels as I explore them. Enjoying this game ALOT!

4) Iron Soldier - my 2nd favorite game on the system. Love crushing buildings and stepping on tanks. The missions I feel are well balanced with an excellent learning curve built in. I'm also learning that some missions are almost imposible unless you skip them, obtain a weapon from a higher level mission then come back and kick booty. Once I beat this game, I'll be getting Iron Soldier II.

These are the games I'm playing the most, and so far I've not found a bad game at all in the ones I've bought so far (though Bubsy comes close just due to sheer frustration :x ).

I'm curious..... how much does everyone else play their Jaguar? I own all the lastest systems (GameCube, Xbox, and PS2) but they are sitting collecting dust as I find the Jaguar much, much more enjoyable at the moment. Maybe I'm strange but I find myself much more wanting to buy something like Breakout 2K or Attack of the Mutant Penguins rather than Dark Cloud 2 or LoZ-Wind Waker....

Hope I haven't bored anyone but wanted to post what a new Jaguar owner is doing.

Mendon

Glad to see you're enjoying your Jag! I personally think it's the best console out there, but of course the Jag is the only "modern" console that I own. ;)

The Jag does have a much higher percentage of arcade games amongst its library than other systems, so this might attract you to it if you're attracted to that particular genre. I've noticed that arcade titles for the modern systems are packaged several to a CD, so there's no general emphasis (e.g. advertising) on one particular title in the collection, unlike many first-person shoot-em-ups.

Yep, I like arcade games alot. Often, I just want to unwind and relax and don't want to have to try to remember what I was doing and where I was and what I was to do next in a game. Grand Theft Auto or Metroid might be fun (and they are) but its nice to be able to just sit down and fire up a fast game of Berzerk, Defender, Tempest, Pac Man or Asteroids.

But I also like "simulation" style games. I enjoy Sim City and The Sim's alot, along with Command and Conquer. Since I like this style of game, I'm looking to get Theme Park, Baldies, and Attack of the Mutant Penguins for the Jaguar. I had thought about Cannon Fodder but have read a few messages that its so buggy that the game isn't fun so I think I might pass on that one.

Mendon

Yep, I like arcade games alot. Often, I just want to unwind and relax and don't want to have to try to remember what I was doing and where I was and what I was to do next  in a game. Grand Theft Auto or Metroid might be fun (and they are) but its nice to be able to just sit down and fire up a fast game of Berzerk, Defender, Tempest, Pac Man or Asteroids.

If pinball's your thing, check Ruiner out - you won't regret it. Also good for a quick game now and again :)

But I also like "simulation" style games. I enjoy Sim City and The Sim's alot, along with Command and Conquer. Since I like this style of game, I'm looking to get Theme Park, Baldies, and Attack of the Mutant Penguins for the Jaguar.

What about Syndicate? There's a sim if ever there was one ;)

I had thought about Cannon Fodder but have read a few messages that its so buggy that the game isn't fun so I think I might pass on that one.

Personally, I don't think the bugs get in the way of gameplay, but then I never bothered to play very far. Atari Karts, though fun, has way more irritating bugs (namely the way you can get stuck on side walls and obstacles) which get in the way of the gameplay far more. Although it's still great :)

Stone

while i waited for two weeks to get my system when i got it i didn't shut it off for two weeks great system but since i havn't been able to get new games i've fallen into a period of not playing it. as soon as i get new games i'll be back to it but with me it's i like older systems more then the new ones anyway i have a ps2 and x-box don't touch them find myself lost between jag and 2600 playing

Mendon,

That's great news that you are enjoying your Jaguar. Thanks for expressing your thoughts and how you feel about the system and games. It's only good news to have another member in the Jaguar community. I own two of the next gen systems but I rarely play them. I frequently play Tempest 2000, BSG and Superburnout (good arcade style motorcycle racing game).

Welcome to the Jungle, Mendon. The Jag is a great system and has a nice group of hardcore gamers and supporters. They are great for info and support and we still get a few new games and products from time to time. :D I drove up to New York City in early December of 93' to get a test market Jag(with a short joypad cord) and that same system has been alive and kickin' ever since and has given me many hours of gaming joy.

You started out your Jag gaming the right way, with some great games. :thumbsup: If you like platformers, I find Flashback and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure to be much better than Bubsy. Like Stone said, Syndicate is an excellent sim/god type game and my personal favorite in that genre. You gotta love the flame throwers and sniper rifles in Syndicate. :lol: Cannon Fodder isn't that buggy, but it is hard as hell. The key to Cannon Fodder, is that every now and then, you have to sacrafice a few of your little dudes to keep the gaming gods happy. If you go a long time in CF without a few of your dudes dying, then the game seems to get buggy. Try Raiden and Super Burnout for some great sweaty palms, don't blink, gaming action.

I own - some - Jaguar, and I really love them. Don't have any of the 'new' consoles (PSX2, XBOX etc), and I don't think to get one. Jaguar/JagCD fill my needs, and for the rest I could use the PC.

I understand you with Bubsy, it's a good game but hard to play. Pitfall is one of my preferred, have good graph and is a lot of fun, also the 'original' version hidden in the game :) .

Mendon wrote:

I wanted to spend that much for fear my wife would kick me out of the house

Will we know who wears the pants in that house! Ha Ha :D if you can get your hands on a copy of Battle Sphere this game kick butt you will be hooked and kicked to the curb by your wife! This game dont come cheap :sad:

Welcome to the Jaguar fan club! I have newer systems like the Dreamcast and Xbox (like them both a lot), but I too, find them collecting a lot more dust than my Jaguar! I LOVE the Jaguar and think it's the greatest system ever. I also have the Jag's contemporaries like the PSX, SATURN, 3DO and 32X, they all get play time, but the Jag is always used much, much more.

I like Bubsy, but yes, it is hard, you'll get better at it and farther though, if you get too frustrated, with Bubsy or any other Jag game, there is a "cheat sheet" for most Jag games, like codes for all the levels in Bubsy (link at bottom). Definately get Pitfall, Flashback and Rayman, these are all great. Even Zool 2 is fun, but also harder like Bubsy, though not quite as difficult.

You'll Definately want Iron Soldier 2, get the cd if you get your Jagcd back, but it is available on cart, just no movies or music. Also Battemorph and HoverStrike :UL are good on the CD, some other good cd titles too, depending on what you like, you'll like Baldies, and I think you'll like Syndicate (that's cartridge), and probably theme park. Congrats on your purchase.

http://www.atarihq.com/jaglynx/jag/jagcheat.txt

Welcome to a better world! One that includes an Atari Jaguar.

I often have co-workers and such come over to play my systems, and most of the time they recognize the PS2, DCast, then the hardcore recognize the Saturn and N64. Then they say... "What the hell is THAT?" and I say:

"T'is.... Atari Jaguar." (with CD!) and they say "Atari What?" And I say "look yonder..."

And pop in Tempest 2k in all it's S-Vid glory and that is that.

Markimus of K.

PS: I've also got T2K for the PSX and Saturn but I think there is just a "beautific" marrige of hard & software when you can physically slam a cart into a console.

PSS: Maybe I gotta get out more...

PSSS: Does anyone have a Rotary controller for T2K that they would like to part with?

I too own all current systems (and a 7800, 5200, NES, SNES, et al) yet I play my Jag at least once a day for a round of T2K. Defender 2000 and Protector SE also get a lot of playing time.

I love the arcade games on the Jag and there's still no substitute for slamming a cart into it and instantly playing. I refuse to play NBA Jam on my Playstation due to the seemingly endless amount of time it takes to get to the actual game. On the Jag it's simply pop and play!

Also, if you don't have the S-video cable for yours - get it. It makes a world of difference and makes T2K look fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for your kind and warm welcome to this forum and for your responses to my post. Very much appreciated.

And Thank You for all your suggestions on other games to buy. Eventually I will want to add all the available Jaguar games to my collection but until I win the lotto or reap a large inheritence, I'll have to go slow in my purchases. For the moment I have 2 goals: get a Jag CD and a couple CD games (I'm drooling over that Battlesphere on eBay at the moment but $200 is a little too much for my wallet at this point) and 2) attend the Las Vegas Video Game Show this August. I have read so much about the Vegas shows in the past that I have to attend one this year. I know that the Vegas show will cost me a LOT of money as I will be attempting to grab everything on display :D .

I live in Florida and one of the better results of living here is the amount of Flea Markets in the area. Within 20miles of my house are 17 HUGE FM's. I try to take one Saturday a month and hit a few and since I've now gotten involved in Jaguar gaming, I have one more reason to stalk them. Sometimes you find very bad deals ($10 for a 2600 Combat Cartridge) but often you can find GREAT deals (50cents for a mint 2600 Root Beer Tapper).

Another question: I like fighting games so which game should I look at first for the Jaguar. JagHammer already suggested forgetting Double Dragon V; any other suggestions?

Thanks again to everyone for their response!

Mendon

yeah Ultra Vortek is a must have, a great fighter on the Jag. I enjoy Kasumi Ninja, even tho many dont. It has nice graphix and all, but the characters dont really most fast enough and the controls can be a bitch at times :)

Primal Rage For the JagCD is friggin great :)

and yes forget about DDV.....but if you really wanna xperience the horrible game give it try. You may like it, who knows :D