IGNORED

Jaguar Custom Game Hard Cases

Rick Dangerous

Hello All,

I've been meaning to start this topic for a while but finally mustered the motivation. I wanted to share some resources for those of you who are interested in storing your jaguar carts/cd's in durable universal game cases with game box art inserts. I want to start off by saying that I have nothing against boxes, I certainly save and collect mine, I just don't think they are optimal for day to day storage and use of games, as they get damaged more or less every time you touch them, let alone pull a game in and out of them. I also think they look sort of cheap and flimsy. The plastic "universal game case" containers look slick and are a great way to store you collection IMHO. So without much further ado, let me share my three options for Jaguar storage, and a few tips.

Method 1: Cheapest

Step 1: Google "Universal Game Cases" they are available for sale all over the interwebs. Purchase whatever amount you think you will need. Here is a current link for some:

http://www.thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-%7C-full-sleeve-insert/?gclid=CjgKEAjw1-abBRDipKXUycHRlysSJADCRImLq08JJxnIhRctrcaYVo9ROKkvsLNXvkOFouuv9vaGYvD_BwE

Step 2: Go to this site:
and print out whichever game cover you need for the insert. Make sure the sizing is right, trim the edges, and try some glossy paper, photo paper perhaps? Normal paper looks a little cheap/flat. Voila, a bottom dollar custom game case!
Method 2: Medium price
There used to be a store on ebay that sold custom Jaguar game cases for about $6 bucks, with the option to add the cat eyes and jaguar logo on the inside for an extra buck. They appear to be defunct now, or at least temporarily offline, which is too bad because they had quite a selection and I've purchased many of my cases there. Still, if you search on ebay (or amazon) for "Atari Jaguar (add CD if needed) (Insert Game Name) Case" then often you will find a reasonable deal, in the 4-7 buck range. Just make sure to check the quality and ask if need be whether of not it's done with quality glossy paper.
Method 3: Pricey but Quality
This site is a little on the pricey side, at $7-$9 bucks a case. But they make quality stuff and have cases that can be found nowhere else (Theme Park, Brutal Sports Football, Towers II). They also have Jag CD DVD boxes, which I think is pretty cool compared to the floppy envelope things. I have moved all of my regular print run Jag CD games to the DVD case style, and now they fit nicely like ducks in a row with my homebrew Jag CD games.
jaguar_hyperforce-214x300.jpg
jagcd_worldtourracing-107x150.jpg
You can actually email the guy suggestions (as I did) and if you bug him enough, eventually he will make the cases. Still waiting on Protector SE, Memory Track, and Breakout 2000 :)
Here are my remaining pro-tips:
1. The Jaguar games, because of the curvature, fit in the cases best a certain way. If the case is open, put the Jaguar Cart in upside down, with the handle facing the spine and the opening facing the right. I have found this works best of all possible scenarios. There will still be a slight bulge in the case, but nothing that will prevent it from closing, or causing it to pop open.
2. Because of the shape of the carts, and the thickness many instruction manuals, they will not really fit in the cases with the games, like you can do with other systems. What I have done, is lay my extra game case on a carpeted concrete floor, and use a small shop hammer to gently bang out the game supports, creating an empty shell. I then cut a black piece of paper to fit, and use a label maker to make a label for the end of the case saying "ATARI JAGUAL GAME MANUALS A-H." I have three such boxes. You can also make up blank boxes like this with the label maker for any other carts you have that there are not custom cases for yet. For example my memory track, and B&C cart both have such cases.
Well that's it!! Thanks for reading, I know some of you are into this already so if anyone else has any site's that have cheaper cases, or any other resources at all, I would love to hear about it!!
-Rick
Additionally- If you are ever looking for ANY Nintendo cases, this is the cheapest/best guy to go to. He just made a run of Gameboy game cases, and I'm wondering if they might fit Lynx games...
Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 7

Nice write up, I've used a few of those sources for my dvd case games for various systems.

My problem with the hard jag cases is that they come clear, and usually at best have homemade foam inserts or nothing at all inside.

I really think they would look better if they made the cases black, but that's just me :)

With my Jag games, I buy them in original box in mint condition, only open them ONCE, then instantly put them into the clear box protectors that they sell. My whole collection is sealed in these clear cases, I highly recommend them!

For my Jag CD cases however I had DVD style cases made for them all as well.

Again great post, I'm sure some people can use some!

-Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, finally took some pics of my hard cases, and my custom cases for manuals (since they are too fat to fit in with games.) Enjoy!

Pictured is the most ergonomic way to put a cartridge in the universal game case.

I also recently purchases shiny black wrapping paper to use for the inserts, which I think works well and looks decent.

One again you can clear out the cartridge clamps to make room for manuals by tapping them out with a small hammer.

post-38373-0-91498500-1406817639_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-57819500-1406817648_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-79084600-1406817661_thumb.jpg

post-38373-0-52420900-1406817673_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, finally took some pics of my hard cases, and my custom cases for manuals (since they are too fat to fit in with games.) Enjoy!

Pictured is the most ergonomic way to put a cartridge in the universal game case.

I also recently purchases shiny black wrapping paper to use for the inserts, which I think works well and looks decent.

One again you can clear out the cartridge clamps to make room for manuals by tapping them out with a small hammer.

I can see you've got the defender 2000 cover for the universal game case ! Can I ask where did you get it from please ?

I can see you've got the defender 2000 cover for the universal game case ! Can I ask where did you get it from please ?

Hey Steve,

I actually got the game and the case off of ebay and it included the insert. No one currently sells the Defender case, and the art is unfortunatley not on the cover project

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cat_id=33

On the top of the front of the case it list this website: http://gamesdbase.com/

The issue I have come across when using this site is that is has the front and back covers separately and no spine. So i'm not sure how the previous owner put this cover together. I have been making most of my own cases lately, but it's with available artwork that i have professionally printed and cut. I'm not quite up to the level of splicing stuff together in photoshop yet...

http://gamesdbase.com/game/atari-jaguar/defender-2000.aspx

If you see something that I'm missing on this website please let me know because it seems like a good resource.

Cheers'

-Rick

No real need for splicing in Photoshop - just download the Jaguar template from the cover project, open in paint.net (with the Photoshop plugin, and you can then paste in the front and rear from the gamesdb. You can cut the defender logo, rotate and paste on the spine. Takes about 5 minutes

Ok cheers guys, seems strange the cover project haven't got this one yet ? ... Just wonder travis, do you have a scanner, you could always scan the cover save file and then you'll always have a back up, also you could email a copy to ???.

Regarding the temp plate, where do I find that, is it on the cover project site ?

I'll look again..

Thanks

Edited by Stephen g
  • Like 1

No real need for splicing in Photoshop - just download the Jaguar template from the cover project, open in paint.net (with the Photoshop plugin, and you can then paste in the front and rear from the gamesdb. You can cut the defender logo, rotate and paste on the spine. Takes about 5 minutes

You can see in my picture that the spine also has a Jaguar logo, the Atari Logo, and the little serial number down at the bottom. I wonder where the hell he got all this stuff since it's not on the gamesdbase website. This sort of stuff intimidates me but by all means if someone can figure it out please do share.

I'm thinking of breaking open boxes and scanning. Some of the newer titles are really hard to find inserts for, such as breakout 2000, Protector SE, etc.

Stephen in this case I am happy to do a high quality scan of my defender insert and send it your way. It will take me a few days as it's down at my new apartment and I'm in the midst of moving. I'm happy with that cover for now, but eventually I'd like one that doesn't say "Gamesdbase.com" across the top lol

The coverproject isn't half bad but they are missing a lot of stuff for Jag...

Try this:

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=1610.0

You'll have to scroll down until you come to the universal game case templates, but its a pretty decent blank template that you can place images into.

VERY Cool thank you! This is a great resource. Now I just need to check out paint.net...

You can see in my picture that the spine also has a Jaguar logo, the Atari Logo, and the little serial number down at the bottom. I wonder where the hell he got all this stuff since it's not on the gamesdbase website. This sort of stuff intimidates me but by all means if someone can figure it out please do share.

I'm thinking of breaking open boxes and scanning. Some of the newer titles are really hard to find inserts for, such as breakout 2000, Protector SE, etc.

Stephen in this case I am happy to do a high quality scan of my defender insert and send it your way. It will take me a few days as it's down at my new apartment and I'm in the midst of moving. I'm happy with that cover for now, but eventually I'd like one that doesn't say "Gamesdbase.com" across the top lol

The coverproject isn't half bad but they are missing a lot of stuff for Jag...

Great , I'll also try and find sone high Rez box scans, I reckon with the right quality image I could make a cove using paint in windows no problem

• 4 weeks later...

Steve do you still need that D2K Cover? I have a scanner finally.

Carl any chance of uploading songbird game covers to the cover project? Hell i'd happily pay for the PDF's. The only songbird games I can find covers for are Hyper Force and Towers II..

Worms, Skyhammer, Breakout 2k, Protector SE and Soccer kid are all looking lonely in their generic jaguar template cases :/

On a side note, anyone know where I can find this DVD art insert?? Hard to track these suckers down...and Blackout, and Painter.

Wont let me upload for some reason but its the "Caves of Fear" Jaguar CD Art with the nurse on the cover.

I prefer hard cases myself but don't really like using generics that don't fit the shells 100%.

We have used a generic style for our Jaguar release and while I liked the kind we used for the CD/Cart combo packs I would've liked a more comfortable fit for cart only. On the plus they conform with other releases in the same style case and line up neatly with DVD cases and other Jaguar game boxes.

Personally, I store the carts in a drawer (have some decent drawer space under my TV Stand) and the boxes on shelf for display. I always try and get my games complete, so having a box on the shelf and an additional clamshell for the same game seems kind of overkill (or maybe I just can't afford the space). Wish there was a custom clamshell made specifically for Jaguar cartridges that all homebrewers adopted so that the original packaging was the clamshell but the chances of that happening anytime soon are likely very slim.

• 4 months later...

I've been looking into this for awhile and I think I'll follow through with it in the near future. Although the covers available are pretty comprehensive outside of some rare aftermarket releases, I'm surprised that I cannot find already made covers for certain common jag games, including Checkered Flag, Hoverstrike and Missile Command on coverproject or other websites.

Would anyone have already prepared versions of those?

I've been looking into this for awhile and I think I'll follow through with it in the near future. Although the covers available are pretty comprehensive outside of some rare aftermarket releases, I'm surprised that I cannot find already made covers for certain common jag games, including Checkered Flag, Hoverstrike and Missile Command on coverproject or other websites.

Would anyone have already prepared versions of those?

I actually requested checkered flag recently on TCP and it was uploaded to the thread but never to the Jag area (may still be pending approval.)

If you request Hoverstrike and Missile Command on the TCP thread, i'm sure someone will put those up within a week or so. I don't have those two myself. I have hoverstrike on Jag CD, and my missile command copy came with a UGC that included that Gamesdbase insert and iv'e been too lazy to seek out a new one as of yet.

If you get either of those, post an update here as I'd like to add them to my considerable stockpile of Jag/Jag CD UGC insert art files :D

If you REALLY don't want to create a TCP account...for whatever reason, let me know and i'll request those..

On a side note, I no longer buy these. You can get higher quality for much cheaper if you buy the UGC's and get the inserts printed yourself at a local print shop.

There are all kinds of people on fleabay trying to sell these for like $6-$10 bucks a pop.. The actual cost to make them is about $3-4 per.

post-38373-0-81353800-1423843227_thumb.jpg

If you REALLY don't want to create a TCP account...for whatever reason, let me know and i'll request those..

Not really looking to add to my database of usernames and passwords just to request those two. If it's all the same to you, could you request? If it seems like too much of a hassle, I'll ghostwrite a request for you to post?

Not really looking to add to my database of usernames and passwords just to request those two. If it's all the same to you, could you request? If it seems like too much of a hassle, I'll ghostwrite a request for you to post?

There's a certain format you have to follow, don't worry about it. Will request sometime this weekend or at the latest early next week.

You're welcome for Checkered Flag ;)