IGNORED

Your FIRST computer (photo required). Then & Now.

1987, 2014

I'm curious, was this a re-acquire years later? I only ask because the disk drive looks different. If not, did that joystick REALLY hold up all these years?!? :)

Funny thing about the CoCo, I see lot's of drives in photos for those things, but I never sold many. I'm thinking most people bought theirs through franchise outfits like Merrymac at reduced prices via mail order.

I'm curious, was this a re-acquire years later? I only ask because the disk drive looks different. If not, did that joystick REALLY hold up all these years?!? :)

Funny thing about the CoCo, I see lot's of drives in photos for those things, but I never sold many. I'm thinking most people bought theirs through franchise outfits like Merrymac at reduced prices via mail order.

No, I still own everything in that old photo. I'm pretty sure the coco in the 2014 pic is not the same one as in the 1987 pic, but I do have my 1st coco in a box in the next room....

Same with the disk drives. In 89 that drive in the pic had a white colored Panasonic 360K drive installed as drive 1 (b:?) I have several coco drive setups and cycle through them randomly.

Those TRS-80 analog joysticks hold up! I have about 10 of them and all work. I have a few people modded with an internal hi-res interface, and did away with the springs for graphic arts.

Funny you mention people going to 3rd party sellers for drives.. I myself always had a Tandy FD-something setup, but everyone else I knew, or years later acquired, had no name drives in cases, but oddly... Tandy disk controllers. :)

• Like 1

No, I still own everything in that old photo. I'm pretty sure the coco in the 2014 pic is not the same one as in the 1987 pic, but I do have my 1st coco in a box in the next room....

What I really admire about your second pic (the current setup) is the 100% retro appearance! It looks like it could have been taken years ago as everything is stock and IN SUCH GOOD SHAPE. The only thing that gives it away is that picture quality is too good for an older picture.

On a side note, I'm a bit surprised that others have not jumped in yet with their retro systems. WHERE IS EVERYONE :?:

• 2 weeks later...

My TS1500 and TS2040 printer around 1985. Terrible old Kodak 110 photos, and the best capture I can do without a scanner. The second photo is actually visible in the middle of the first one, so they must have been taken about 6 months apart. Copies of Sync Magazine are visible in both, and in the second photo one of the magazines is propped up next to the computer as I'm typing in a program from it. I watched years of TV on that 10" black-and-white TV in the mid 1980's. There's a tin foil wrapped box behind the computer that was intended to make my friends think that box was really the main part of the computer. :D

original.jpg

original.jpg

Has lived in storage 26 years...

original.jpg

Edited by bkrownd
  • Like 2

I also notice an overlay for the Intellivision game Atlantis in the first photo! (identified via google images) I didn't have an Intellivision, so I picked that up off the street somewhere. Some of the objects in this photo I'm remembering for the first time in at least 25 years...it's amazing how some of that stuff is still tucked away in my head after so long!

INTOVE0004L.gif

Edited by bkrownd