IGNORED

Setting up a PAL 6-switcher (AUS)

K.Michael

Hello peoples, I've just gotten myself a (I'm fairly sure) PAL 6-switcher. I'm not sure if it is heavy or not, but as the power-supply says 'Australia' on it I think it should be PAL. I'm not too good with retro tech, and I'm trying to get the console set up on a new flat-screen TV. I tried just plugging it directly in but it doesn't seem to work, and have looked up a few tutorials suggesting that I purchase an 'F-Connector (Coax) Male to RCA (Phono) Female' and a 'RF Interfererence Filter' (or alternatively plug it into a VCR player) to make it work. However, all the tutorials I can find seem to be American, so I was just wondering if any Australians out there can give me their insight, so as to avoid me sitting around waiting for the order to arrive, only to find it doesn't work with TVs down under. Also anyway to avoid ordering in extra stuff would be awesome, but I'm thinking that won't happen :P

-Kieren

If you live in Australia then the F-connector to RCA adapter is useless because
A - PAL TVs use the IEC antenna connector and not the F-connector for RF
B - PAL Atari VCS came fitted with the IEC connector and not with RCA + switchbox (with the exception of the very early 6 switches).

So in most cases you just connect the Atari directly to the antenna socket of your TV. If you happen to have ane of the early 6 swithes and you don't have the switchbox which came with the console, you need to buy or build a female RCA to male IEC connector.

Once you have the console connected to the TV you must plug a cartridge, turn it on and do an ANALOG (not digital!) channel search (refer to your TV manual for that) until you see the picture.

That said, I suggest you to get a CRT TV for your Atari, as it really doesn't loog good on modern flat screens for several reasons.

Australia, South Australia, Adelaide

Cool,I'm in Adelaide also...

What suburb ?

Does your tv have analog tv as well as digital tv ?,if so you need to hook the unit up to the tv,then tune the unit into the tv using analog.. then it should be ok.

If it doesn't have analog then you're stuffed... unless it has av out which is rare.

I have mine hooked up to my 50" flat screen Panny and it looks awesome...

Edited by pangasinan

I'd love to see a visual "how to" with pictures of these connectors. As so much online is for the US/NTSC crowd, it's hard to envision just hooking up a 2600 to a TV without a switchbox, etc. I've never paid that close attention to older TVs when I've been in PAL territories to notice how they're different.

If you live in Australia then the F-connector to RCA adapter is useless because

A - PAL TVs use the IEC antenna connector and not the F-connector for RF

B - PAL Atari VCS came fitted with the IEC connector and not with RCA + switchbox (with the exception of the very early 6 switches).

So in most cases you just connect the Atari directly to the antenna socket of your TV. If you happen to have ane of the early 6 swithes and you don't have the switchbox which came with the console, you need to buy or build a female RCA to male IEC connector.

Once you have the console connected to the TV you must plug a cartridge, turn it on and do an ANALOG (not digital!) channel search (refer to your TV manual for that) until you see the picture.

That said, I suggest you to get a CRT TV for your Atari, as it really doesn't loog good on modern flat screens for several reasons.

Thanks! When I was trying to set it up I did plug it into the Antena area, but didn't think to search for non-digital search, I've given it a shot now and it works perfectly!

It should tune into VHF channel 1 IIRC. Doubtful you've got a heavy 6er, the PAL ones are somewhat rare. The dead giveaway is the front view, heavy sixer has a much more rounded shape on the surround trim of the woodgrain panel.

post-1244-1124510071.jpg

Thanks for the info, I was having trouble telling the difference, but it is most certainly a non-heavy now that I know what to look for!