IGNORED

Game Hacking: Translations

snicklin

Has there ever been a proper effort to translate a lot of games for the Atari 8-bit?

For example, there are a lot of Polish games which although playable for people from other countries, may be better if translated to other languages?

I appreciate that text adventures are probably out of the question as the parsers would need amending, but translating some of the menu items and the on-screen indicators (such as 'Score') should be simple enough.

I guess it will be easier if the words being translated are longer in the original language and then can be replaced by shorter/equal length words in the target language. i.e. Punkte -> Score. That will then not need re-compiling, just add a space in there and that should be enough.

Just the use of a sector editor would be enough to do this.

Hmm,

here are a few ones I know:

- Klatwa (polish version) / The Curse (english version)

- Little Computer Project (german version; I translated this into english and someone from Poland made BIG bugfixes)

- Wille (german version; at Fandal`s webpage recently appeared an english version)

- Der Neffe (german version) also available as The Nephew (english version)

- Exoter (new!) available in polish, czech, german and english language

- Kolony 2106: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=K&tg=Kolony+2106#Kolony_2106

- children`s game ??? (polish version), available as Counting Images (english version)

- Tajemniczy Zamek: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=T&tg=Tajemniczy+Zamek+2#Tajemniczy_Zamek_2

I have some more programs available in english and german (often translated the other way around, from english into german), but I have to take a look at my PC harddisk. Maybe the polish Atarians can help with some more programs that were translated from polish into english language...

Thanks for that above.

However, I thought that the Kolony 2016 game was created for multiple languages from the start?

I think it'd be great if a lot of people worked on translating games and then collating them all together in one location.

If games can be made available to more people, that would be great. It would also include translations from English to other languages.

Then again, most games are quite obvious as to what you need to do when in another language....

Yes,

Kolony 2106 was available in multiple languages right from the start at AOL (errm, atarionline.pl the Atarians simply call it AOL).

The translation and heavy bugfixing of Little Computer Project / Computer Inhabitants (one and the same program, based on Little Computer People) can be found here: http://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=851&page=1

Will post the latest german+english versions of LCP/CI (or the versions I kept for my collection) here soon...

Alright,

here is some more stuff for you to download:

- F.R.E.E. was originally available in french language; I do not have the french version, but I do have the french solution ;-) Later the author released an english version, which one can find e.g. here:

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4025

If you are good in both french and english (or you have a good dictionary or Google/Bing/... translate) you can simply translate the french solution into english language and use it for the english version of the game. Tested this with the first 2-3 inputs and it worked...

- White Circus: was originally created (but not finished?) in italian language, thanks to Philsan the author finished the program and released it in english language here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211862-white-circus/?hl=%2Bwhite+%2Bcircus&do=findComment&comment=2759662

- Computer Inhabitants / Little Computer Project: We discussed this simple german program at atarionline.pl in 2012 and in the end I translated it into english and QTZ made BIG bugfixes to the original game (many sub-programs / modules did not work, he fixed this and many many other things). Attached you can find both updated german and english versions...

- Labyrinth of Death: released by Thimo Graef in german language and later by him (or someone else?) in english language. Attached both versions here...

- Monopoly: a very simple version of this game created (?) by J.Seehaus in Atari Basic in the early 80s in german language and later compiled; I also found an english version of this game and attached it here... (but maybe the english version came first, I do not know).

- Der Neffe / The Nephew: Think the original version was using german language, the english version can be found here: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4503

- Paradox: a german graphic+text adventure, someone translated it into english it seems. Attached it here...

- Solitaire: I have this version in two variants in my collection, one comes in french language, the other one comes in english language. Attached both variants here...

- Tales of Dragons and Cavemen: by AMC-Verlag (Ralf Kothe, Rainer Kothe, Holger Kurth and Armin Stuermer); the game-title used a german text, I changed it into english (press Select to... / press START to...) Attached my version with english text here...

Thats all I found on my harddisk. As said before, many more commercial programs had been translated from english into german in the past (e.g. Silent Service, Mask of the Sun, Serpent Star, Lapis Philosophorum / The Philosopher`s stone, etc.).

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

P.S.: Cancel the program "Wille", it was "Trolls" that has been released recently at Fandal`s webpage in english language... http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7023

computer_inhabitants.zip

Free.zip

lab_of_death.zip

monopoly.zip

paradox.zip

solitair.zip

tales_of_dragons.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 3

• 5 years later...
On 7/26/2014 at 12:38 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Ha,

you forgot to translate/edit the german sample "Spieler Eins los!" (player one go!) and "Spieler Eins Schluss" (player one over) :grin:

yes, i would have loved to translate the speech, but that is beyond my ability....if anyone wants to give it a go, let me know so i can download it!