IGNORED

Altirra 2.50 Final out

serj

Here's a couple more ideas:

Selective mute for each of the four audio channels (or 8 in stereo).

Selective hide for the 4 players and 4 missiles. This would just prevent their rendering (display), collision detection etc. should remain unaffected.

The idea behind this is that making some players not appear allows insight into how many games and demos achieve their displays. Muting some audio channels is interesting for those who want to silence a game's background music, or isolate a single instrument in a multichannel song, etc.

Here's a couple more ideas:

Selective mute for each of the four audio channels (or 8 in stereo).

Selective hide for the 4 players and 4 missiles. This would just prevent their rendering (display), collision detection etc. should remain unaffected.

The idea behind this is that making some players not appear allows insight into how many games and demos achieve their displays. Muting some audio channels is interesting for those who want to silence a game's background music, or isolate a single instrument in a multichannel song, etc.

Ctrl+Alt+1/2/3/4 mutes channels 1/2/3/4. I agree it would be nice if that were extended to channels 5-8.

Ctrl+F8 enables GTIA visualization mode which paints the playfields in grays, PF3 in white, and the PMGs in different colors.

Shilt+F8 enables ANTIC visualization mode which can quickly show if a line is using a graphics or character mode. It can also reveal playfield width, scrolling, PMG DMA, etc. The overlay of gray dots show where ANTIC is performing DMA and blocking the CPU. But you have to learn the significance of their positions. See the Altirra Hardware Reference Manual for handy diagrams of ANTIC's various DMA patterns.

Edited by Xuel

Phaeron does a great job with the emulator and has provided fairly complete documentation which is organized very well. It's great to present ideas for new features. If you want to do that though, please make yourself thouroughly familair with the program, the help, and the revision notes each release. I'm just suggesting this because I worry if that doesn't happen enough, and people aren't paying enough attention, it may discourage Phaeron some. And I doubt any of us want that! ;-)

I am not pointing any fingers here. It's just a thought that popped up.

• Like 1

I think its safe to say Phaeron knows we love his work and dedication.

As for the odd question about its workings, no harm done, even I fail to know what it all does and I've followed it since the very first beta and use it daily. Also these days most people are incredibly busy so reading docs etc takes second place to life :)

After reading the earlier post about Hotel no longer working with Altirra Basic I thought I'd try it with with my Space Station Multiplication program using the latest build and it seems to get stuck on the menu page. Attached is the disk image if you don't have it handy.

Sorry in advance if I'm just setting something up incorrectly.

Bob

Space Station Multiplication.atr

Edited by bfollett

Without going too much off-topic. I tend to use docs as reference material. And I'll search for subject-related keywords such as DISK or CASSETTE if I want to know more about those things. When I've got some downtime I'll read the theory-of-operation if one is provided. I rarely follow 1-2-3 step by step tutorials unless it is some lengthy procedure taking place in an unfamiliar/new program.

After reading the earlier post about Hotel no longer working with Altirra Basic I thought I'd try it with with my Space Station Multiplication program using the latest build and it seems to get stuck on the menu page. Attached is the disk image if you don't have it handy.

Sorry in advance if I'm just setting something up incorrectly.

Bob

Just a side note, I thought the program was completely hung on the menu screen because the word "start" is suppose to be flashing between red and yellow and it doesn't appear to be but if you press both option and select then it does start to flash colors. You still can't press Option, Select or Start like you're suppose to but it does appear to be running the code in some fashion.

Bob

"The host device (H:) can now also register itself as D:, for direct-loaded programs that need disk access."

This feature is awesome! I was looking at the New Aladdin magazines and it was constantly prompting for disk swaps. By placing all of the diskette files into the H1: drive, swapping is no longer required. Just, "Press Any Key" and the program will continue :) Thanks, phaeron.

Argh... introduced a zero page location overlap. Fixed in ATBasic 1.36:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test36.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test36-src.zip

There's a lot of stuff that's not documented in the help file, and some stuff that's now stale. Still working on fleshing it out. Do check the compatibility list if you haven't done so, though.

atbasic.bin

atbasicx.xex

• Like 1

True, but investing time writing lists of advanced feature requests implies a level of interest sufficient to warrant looking at the manual first.

Yes indeed, wasn't meaning to rubbish peoples time and dedication.....

Poorly thought out by me...

Too much on my plate as it were...

This feature is awesome! I was looking at the New Aladdin magazines and it was constantly prompting for disk swaps. By placing all of the diskette files into the H1: drive, swapping is no longer required. Just, "Press Any Key" and the program will continue :) Thanks, phaeron.

Oh missed this...So much for me not reading docs, apologies Avery... :)

Dead handy feature...

I'm having some trouble getting HD to boot properly. It works 100% under the settings I have in my registry, but not the ones in my .ini file. Under the .ini file, the HD is recognized okay, but SDX is not using the multi-config files I have setup within the "SPARTA.DOS" directory on the HD. The HD is set up through U1MB, SIDE2 type .vhd. This behavior is noted in 2.60t36 and 2.60t33. Probably would happen in others too I'm guessing.

Okay, I want to attach a 7zip file with some files which would hopefully be useful to figure out what's happening. Looks like I might have to get it into my library 1st. Watch for an edit of this message soon.

** Hmm. I tried to upload an .7z file as an attachment, but was informed I am not permitted to upload files of that type. I will try individual files.

** What a PITA. The only individual file it let me upload was an text file export of my Altirra registry branch. So I thought I would just rename the .7z file with a .txt and see if it let me. Sure enough, it did. So obviously, just remove the .txt off the end of the attached file.

Altirra troubleshoot.7z.txt

Edited by fujidude

Check the firmware settings -- it looks like you're running on Default on both and it may pick different firmware depending on whether you're running INI or Registry.

I have looked over the firmware settings a number of times. What firmware setting in particular would you suggest I focus on again?

Edited by fujidude

I have looked over the firmware settings a number of times. What firmware setting in particular would you suggest I focus on again?

I think I know hat you mean. You mean the autoselection of the os? Doesn't that get made irrelevant by the U1MB though? The U1MB takes care of the SDX, OS, and BASIC plus whatever else.

Also, Altirra did not modify the .ini file back to autoselect afdter I chose it again in the menu. It just stayed at the previously specified one. Yes, I did close and restart Altirra to make sure it had a chance wo write new ini settings if it does so on ext.

I had to manually modify the ini to make the specific reference an emty quoted one. Same for the OS type. And no, I have not done any manual editing of the ini previous to that, so it isn't the source of any of the issues I'm seeing.

How does the MIO option work ? Do I have to load a ROM file separately ? Enabling the feature and then trying to go into the menu doesn't seem to do anything, and looking at the handler table doesn't show any devices pointing in to the PBI vectors.

You need an MIO ROM. If you have trouble finding one there might be help.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test37.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test37-src.zip

• Fixed Autoselect not sticking for firmware mode.
  • Firmware is now sorted internally so auto is more consistent.
  • ATOS: Fixed keyboard repeat timer and character escaping compatibility issues.
  • Added SX212 emulation support. Additions disk now contains an SX212 handler.
  • Like 3

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test37.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test37-src.zip

• Fixed Autoselect not sticking for firmware mode.
  • Firmware is now sorted internally so auto is more consistent.
  • ATOS: Fixed keyboard repeat timer and character escaping compatibility issues.
  • Added SX212 emulation support. Additions disk now contains an SX212 handler.

Avery, the changes you made for this version solved the issues I had reported. Thanks for your continued efforts!

Not sure if this is the best place to post, and sorry if it's a stupid question but.....

Does crossbow (rom cart image) work in Altirra? Seems it should since it looks like it has pen/lightgun support, but I'm stumped how to enable it and get it to work. Any help appreciated.

Otherwise, Altirra is fantastic. This is the first time I've tried to get a lightgun program to work, and I'm stuck.

ps - also, just wondering, has anybody ever hacked crossbow to work with a joystick so you can play it on a real atari on a modern flatscreen???

Friend of mine handed me a bag of obscure hardware he pulled out of his ass garage:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test38.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.60-test38-src.zip

Adds MidiMate emulation. No actual MIDI in/out and just pipes basic MIDI events to the system MIDI player, but it's enough to get MidiTrack III to play.

Does crossbow (rom cart image) work in Altirra? Seems it should since it looks like it has pen/lightgun support, but I'm stumped how to enable it and get it to work. Any help appreciated.

Yes, it does. There's a trick: you have to bind an inverted or toggle input to the On-Screen input or it won't work, because the emulator thinks you always have the gun pointed off-screen. Setup instructions:

• Input > Input Mappings...
  • Add, then select and Edit
  • Add Controller > Light Pen / Gun
  • Select Axis 1 > Edit > Source > Mouse Pos X (light pen)
  • Select Axis 2 > Edit > Source > Mouse Pos Y (light pen)
  • Select Gun trigger / inverted pen switch > Edit > Source > Mouse LMB
  • Select On-screen > Edit > Mode > Inverted
  • OK, OK
  • Input > Port 1 > (your new map)

You will probably need to adjust the light gun timing a little bit in Input > Light Pen/Gun. I had to change the horizontal offset to +3.

• Like 2