IGNORED

new cart haul and a glitcher...

Atari-Collector

Well I picked up 3 games carts at the used game store last week... One works fine from what I can tell, Space Shuttle, but got to find a manual for it, I'm sure that won't be too hard.

The other two aren't so hot..

Sky Jinx International Edition, needs to be pulled out slightly to work... Is the International Edition something special??

And Star Wars Jedi Area just scrolls fast when I turn it on.

I've cleaned all the carts. rubbing alcohol first, then the two that are having trouble with contact cleaner on a cotton swab. In fact Sky Jinx didn't start at all until I had at it with contact cleaner.. But that isn't helping Jedi Arena.. :? I'll give them both another shot of contact cleaner and cotton swab later, but was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the scroll issue?

thanks

Well I picked up 3 games carts at the used game store last week... One works fine from what I can tell, Space Shuttle, but got to find a manual for it, I'm sure that won't be too hard.

The other two aren't so hot..

Sky Jinx International Edition, needs to be pulled out slightly to work... Is the International Edition something special??

And Star Wars Jedi Area just scrolls fast when I turn it on.

I've cleaned all the carts. rubbing alcohol first, then the two that are having trouble with contact cleaner on a cotton swab. In fact Sky Jinx didn't start at all until I had at it with contact cleaner.. But that isn't helping Jedi Arena.. :? I'll give them both another shot of contact cleaner and cotton swab later, but was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the scroll issue?

thanks

When you say "fast scroll", do you mean that the screen is "rolling"? If so, you might have yourself a PAL cart on your hands. In that case, it wouldn't be broken, per se. Rather, it just won't work properly on NTSC machines/TV's due to a difference in scan-lines.

When you say "fast scroll", do you mean that the screen is "rolling"? If so, you might have yourself a PAL cart on your hands. In that case, it wouldn't be broken, per se. Rather, it just won't work properly on NTSC machines/TV's due to a difference in scan-lines.

Yes, it's rolling.. So I guess I'm out of luck on that one... Maybe if I used my TV tuner card in my computer and set it to PAL mode it mite work? Wild guessing here... Or maybe just ebay it some time and ship to overseas only on it..

Yes, it's rolling.. So I guess I'm out of luck on that one... Maybe if I used my TV tuner card in my computer and set it to PAL mode it mite work? Wild guessing here... Or maybe just ebay it some time and ship to overseas only on it..

It might work…it also might just be an NTSC cartridge with some corrosion issues. You could try cleaning it with something a bit more abrasive…like a pencil eraser. That might fix it, if it is a corrosion issue.

Sky jynx needs to be cleaned, star wars is likely pal (probably purchased from the store in the same lot as your international edition)

Game stores rarely take the time to test atari carts, and they pretty much never check pal/ntsc for old stuff.

If you video mod your system and hook it up to a commodore 1702 monitor you can play both Pal and ntsc, with a nice crisp picture while still keeping the look retro :)

• Like 1

Sky jynx needs to be cleaned, star wars is likely pal (probably purchased from the store in the same lot as your international edition)

Game stores rarely take the time to test atari carts, and they pretty much never check pal/ntsc for old stuff.

If you video mod your system and hook it up to a commodore 1702 monitor you can play both Pal and ntsc, with a nice crisp picture while still keeping the look retro :)

I did an av mod on My 2600 Jr (simple transistor style since I had all the parts on hand) I'll look for one of those monitors, there a ham radio flea market in month and a half, and I've seen old computer stuff at it in the past.

I did an av mod on My 2600 Jr (simple transistor style since I had all the parts on hand) I'll look for one of those monitors, there a ham radio flea market in month and a half, and I've seen old computer stuff at it in the past.

Perfect! When you play PAL games on your new monitor just a quick adjustment of the V hold knob and you will be able to play an entire new library of games :)

As mentioned, you need a monitor with adjustable V-hold. Many old Commodore (and other) monitors will have this, not just a 1702 - I use a 1084, for example. It really is worth it just to be able to play PAL games. Colours will still be weird, but it's one of those rare times you can play "imports" without modification etc.

As mentioned, you need a monitor with adjustable V-hold. Many old Commodore (and other) monitors will have this, not just a 1702 - I use a 1084, for example. It really is worth it just to be able to play PAL games. Colours will still be weird, but it's one of those rare times you can play "imports" without modification etc.

Yeah, but the 1702 just looks sooooo 80's :)

Yeah, but I got RGB input, bitch! Not that I use it for anything other than occasionally hooking up my Mr. Do. arcade board that I have no monitor for... which then requires me to turn the monitor on its side, which then makes me realize that arcade emulation is board-perfect on this game anyway...