IGNORED

Death Race - Odyssey 2

LS_Dracon

Thanks.

You're not the first to talk me about digitized scream from voice module.

I don't know exactly how the voice module works, I don't own one and really don't have interest on it.

The little I know, it plays pieces of digitized sounds internally, so you must mix these pieces to have a full word.

It not plays any sound, that is, you can't load a sound you wish it to play (as far I know).

Make it scream would be like set a robotic voice like "ah-ah-ah..."

It's a shame you have no interest in it, because it really does add a whole new dimension to games like Smithereens! and Turtles, to name just a couple. I have no clue how it works from a technical standpoint, but even if it doesn't use digitized sounds, some of the effects achieved with it sure sound like it, like the explosions in the aforementioned Smithereens! or the "doot doot doot" background "music" in Turtles.

I own Death Race on cartridge and think it's a fine work, but I am one of those people who count the lack of voice as a minor disappointment.

Right, besides voice "bits" it also comes with some digitized sounds like explosions, laughs and laser beam, stuffs like that.

Don't get me wrong, I know the voice is a good add-on for Odyssey2, but I'm not a Odyssey 2 collector, really, and voice module is expensive and rare item in my country.

Like I said there are others ways to make digitized sound on old hardware.

The Odyssey 2 sound processor is really weak, is difficult to extract something good from it, that's why the sound effects is not the best from this game.

I had others plans which not comes to final product, like an Odyssey 3 / VG7400+ (high res) graphics for the title screen.

And the black and white display option for the game, I ran out of ROM for this.

This is the problem when you code for such old machine, like Atari 2600, you put a huge effort in your game and at end, it looks just a sketch of your original idea.

I find the G7400 High Res graphics tend to distract from the Videopac and Odyssey 2 games, though on a title screen it would have been nice. And many of us using CRT's can just manually change the screens to black and white....

Anyhow you did a great job however you programmed in the randomness and AI, and that's what matters most. I bet if you release the source code someone will happily hack the ROM for you for voice effects....

Edited by doug0909

Personally I think you should just lock this game down as 'completed' and move on to new projects!

You took this project on and got it done. I'm very happy with this game: it captures the look and spirit of the arcade original. The presentation is excellent, with a nice case, good artwork, and an interesting background history. It's better than plenty of other commercial and homebrew releases, both for the O2 and for other systems.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...