IGNORED

Homebrew Games like this just piss me off

PDog

Concerning cost of this game (or any other for that matter), to put into perspective whether you want to view this game as being $60, or with shipping $72, if Smurf Rescue came out for the Intellivision in 1982, as it did for the ColecoVision and Atari 2600, the game would have been priced ~$24-29 (After tax).

post-18-0-35526000-1407342286_thumb.pngpost-18-0-44810800-1407342287_thumb.png

IMHO, this is a full-blown-all-the-bells-and-whistles, as good as, retail release Intellivision game. Well worth '1982 pricing' of ~$24-29/'2014 pricing' of $60-72.

Honestly though, they can't control shipping...The actual 1982 price is $24.29.

• Like 3

Concerning cost of this game (or any other for that matter), to put into perspective whether you want to view this game as being $60, or with shipping $72, if Smurf Rescue came out for the Intellivision in 1982, as it did for the ColecoVision and Atari 2600, the game would have been priced ~$24-29 (After tax).

attachicon.gifINTV_60.PNGattachicon.gifINTV-2.PNG

IMHO, this is a full-blown-all-the-bells-and-whistles, as good as, retail release Intellivision game. Well worth '1982 pricing' of ~$24-29/'2014 pricing' of $60-72.

Plus, they were producing TONS of copies of the same game

That's clearly not our case

• Like 3

I don't recall any NEW games released in the late 70's and early 80's for the 2600 or ColecoVision being sold for under $25 especially since if they were, I would have been able to buy a lot more. Although I will have to take a look through ads and catalogs to confirm my memory... perhaps some of the lesser known companies that released poor quality games might have had such low suggested retail prices (ie: Atari with Pac-Man and E.T. for the 2600 :D ).

Without a doubt lots of games in this time period were reduced in price, but that would have been many months later after their initial release and full retail price.

I did go directly to the source, your YouTube video, and you ignored me and most everyone else who questioned the pricing and quality of the game. Someone even made a great suggestion that you ignored: Release the ROM for free to show everyone you're about the gamers and not the money, but still sell the boxed game for those die-hard collectors wanting to pay the $72, and trust me there's no shortage of them.

Hey, you cheapskate. How about you get a game programmed, design and manufacture a circuit board, collect/recycle old cart shells or get a 3d cad of a new shell and get a mold, then have new shells made by injection mold plastics company...thats like 10k just for new shells and a few bucks for each new shell, probably 1000 shell minimum order. Then print boxes, manuals, overlays, stickers....also run a website to showcase your games.

So, do all this and let us know your price point for your new game.

And then some youtube nerds want the Rom for free....nice.

Until then, stop bitching and making a fool of yourself. Its quite embarrassing to watch bro.

Edited by revolutionika
  • Like 5

No you wouldn't. It's *very* rare that stuff in the AA store is way overpriced. I don't see you as a profiteer. I see you as someone who has a love for the hobby and community over money.

On average, it is $50 for a boxed homebrew in the AA store. The game being discussed here is $60, and it comes with a gatefold box, manual and overlays. I am not sure how that could ever be misconstrued as "overpriced". IMHO, it has become evident that the OP is and was only looking for a free ROM….which he will be able to get for free once the game is released.

• Like 1

The thing that everyone seems to be missing here is the need to "fly under the radar" when it comes to developing games that use characters, etc. which are actively protected by their rights holders.

Since most homebrew tend to sell like hot butter anyway, at least those with some quality involved, why even bother to include copyrighted material and attempt to fly under the radar? Sooner or later it goes public anyway, and with smart search engines and bots scanning the results daily, you might have to pay the price. If it is a parody game released as a free download and nothing more, perhaps you can go under the radar and just remove it if you get a C&D letter but when money is involved...

Are budget releases the middle-ground? Not-so collectable packaging and xerox copied manuals? What would make everyone happy?

How about not trying to make up for losses or initial capital investments on a single item, all at once?

Let's say I invest in a box cutting die, cartridge shell mold, and PCB boards to make games. If my intention is to make more than one game, then I prorate some of these costs over at least a couple of games in order to recoup the investment and break even. Counting on at least some piece of the long tail to eventually earn a profit.

If, on the other hand, I expect to recoup that investment immediately on my first project, then I should better make darn sure it is a game worth of such a high price.

If this is a hobby, investments and "losses" are just the cost of your participation; if it is a business, they should have been built as part of the business plan in order to predict cash-flows and costs. Sometimes there is no practical way to turn it into a workable business (too much effort for a small group, strained cash-flows, limited market, prohibitive costs, etc.). So be it.

I know that some of these enterprises are being run as half-hobby/half-business, counting on the charitable support of the community while aiming at making a profit from the hard-core collectors; but then they shouldn't be surprised when they get bad looks from those who don't appreciate that. Then again, making snide or offensive remarks when you don't agree with someone's model is not constructive at all.

All that said, I appreciate what you guys are doing, and I understand all the costs involved in producing the Sydney game. It's just that, for what it was (which, lets face it, old-school Smurfs Rescue wasn't the shiniest moment in gaming history), some of us feel the price is just too much. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to lower your costs and lessen the burden on your customers by making it into a budget release.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

By the way, implied in that last paragraph is my hope that having more home-brewers and publishers in the Intellivision community will lead to more and better games, lower prices, and ultimately to a stronger community. In other words, I welcome ColectorVision to our community, and look forward to their future releases. :)

-dZ.

• Like 3

On average, it is $50 for a boxed homebrew in the AA store. The game being discussed here is $60, and it comes with a gatefold box, manual and overlays. I am not sure how that could ever be misconstrued as "overpriced". IMHO, it has become evident that the OP is and was only looking for a free ROM….which he will be able to get for free once the game is released.

I wasn't speaking so much about the game as Al not charging a ton.

That said, the seller already explained why he's charging so much, to pass on the cost of the errant boxes. If not for that, the price would probably be in a more reasonable range.

All that said, I appreciate what you guys are doing, and I understand all the costs involved in producing the Sydney game. It's just that, for what it was (which, lets face it, old-school Smurfs Rescue wasn't the shiniest moment in gaming history), some of us feel the price is just too much. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to lower your costs and lessen the burden on your customers by making it into a budget release.

-dZ.

I wouldn't say that. Smurf Rescue was targeted to very young player ( 3- 6 year old not for old retro gamer of 30-50 year olds ) . and if you take that in consideration it is a really good game. My little boys love it and were able to play it since they have 2 years old. The control scheme (mainly the jump that lot of us don't like) is perfect for their little hands. The animation was amazing for its time. Even the music. in 82-83 , it was the first game were you have the feeling to control a cartoon on TV!!.

I would love to have a Smurf Rescue on Intellivision. I love the Atari 2600 et Colecovision version. It is really pitty.

I think the "problem" with that Sydney Game. Is that it is sydney, not a Smurf. When you see this kind of hero , you expect another type of game, more "adult" more complex, so it is kind of frusting to see so beautiful graphism with a perceived weak gameplay. But i'm sure very young peoples will still love that game.

Personnaly, i really love the Graphism and the sound track. Very nice work!

No you wouldn't. It's *very* rare that stuff in the AA store is way overpriced. I don't see you as a profiteer. I see you as someone who has a love for the hobby and community over money.

I was being sarcastic, but I think some people don't realize how much work it is to produce limited runs of games in this nature. You're not buying parts in the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or millions like the big companies were doing "back in the day". And this factor of scale can really influence prices, especially with things like boxes. Boxes are expensive to print in the quantities we need them for in this hobby, and most companies aren't even interested in doing such small runs. And if they are, you can be looking at spending several thousand dollars up front for boxes you have no guarantee of selling. And that's just the boxes.

It's a big effort to manage a homebrew project so all the pieces come to together (software, label/label/box design, having labels, boxes and manuals printed (often by different companies), buying all the parts needed to build the games (if you haven't already amassed a good stock of them), and then the physical act of building everything. This includes preparing cart shells, which for me at the moment is a very time consuming process, programming any chips required for the cartridge PCB, soldering boards, testing boards, assembling boards into games, testing the assembled game, labeling the carts, and assembling it all into the final package. And I'm leaving out steps like folding/gluing boxes together, as you generally receive them flat from the printer. In my case I print many manuals myself as well, so that's additional work of printing the manuals, cutting them down to size, and then folding, collating and stapling them.

So, besides the money invested in all the physical materials, there's a great amount of time spent actually building the games. There's no automation here, every copy is hand built. How much is your time worth?

..Al

• Like 14

I think that the issue is whether or not s production cost should be passed on to a consumer. And the big answer is: it happens *more than you know*. It's only in small markets like this where you notice it. WTF is $72 anyway for something desired?? If you don't desire the product in the first place, what are you complaining about? Jesus, people.