IGNORED

BBS setup on internet

Cycloptrix

Hi,

I've been looking through the BBS post and tried connecting to a few using the internet addresses provided but I have no idea what I am doing. Is there a guide for this somewhere?

Furthermore, I have been waxing nostalgia and thinking about setting up my old hardware to run a BBS on it mostly for my friend's to enjoy. I could put it on a dialup but I don't think anyone has a modem anymore! Or a real phone line! So where would I learn about putting either a physical or emulated BBS on the internet? I would prefer a how-to on putting my real setup online since it's just sitting around doing nothing (I emulate the 800 for convenience on a computer on the projector in the game room, wireless joysticks and keyboards are awesome!).

It's really just for fun for some of my friends and so on, but googling this isn't helping :(

Thanks for any info!

Might want to start by reading up on some of the Lantronix threads. That works for just about any setup with real hardware. If you want more info than that it might help if you give us some more info on your software and hardware setup for a more specific solution.

Cheapest way may be to get a SIO2PC and use APE to let people telnet to your Atari via your PC.

That isn't necessarily true,especially if you are getting the full registered APE and already have a P:R: Connection or 850. You can get lucky and find a Lantronix box dirt cheap.

It's not a popular path, but a Portmaster 2e will do what you want for up to 30 machines (depending on the model). They go for under $100 on eBay, I use one right now hooked up to my 850 to put my A8 online. Here's an example of one on eBay. Be sure to watch the prices (some of those offerings are insane).

Not small, but I can use it with all my vintage computers, along with two vt420 terminals I have. :-)