IGNORED

Thoughts on Selling Software Bundled with Computers

I am finally getting around to putting my TT030 up for sale. I am interested to know peoples opinions on software still loaded and installed on the machine. Should I erase any of the software on the machine prior to selling it so that someone can start off fresh, or just leave it there? Are there any legal reasons for deleting the software or should I include the original boxes, manuals and discs with the system purchase? Does having those items (boxes, manuals, discs) add any value to the machine itself? Would there be any "dilemma" in selling the machine with all the software as is and then selling the software separately?

Also, I have a hard / CD ROM shoebox case. Should I include that with the system or sell separately?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris

Most of our old software is classed as abandonware so it's a case of the makers don't much care (so long as you don't try and profit from it).

Exceptions in the case of ST/TT/Falcon would be modern-day stuff that is payfor and probably some of the old music/Midi related stuff.

I'd just leave it on there, let the next owner decide.

What to include with the system - it's tricky because generally on eBay auctions you have a fixed list of items. Somewhere like here you can simply have the option for the buyer to take which things they want from the list if you choose to do it that way.

Plenty of people post here about things they've put straight to eBay... personally I find that a bit inconsiderate in that they get support from the community here and in return should offer uncommon items here first before going public. If the item is good enough then they'll get a decent price just keeping it here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be happy to accept a few $ less to keep things within the community around these forums. I've got a suspicion that as demand rises, there are people buying and hoarding this stuff, with the intention of selling it on at a profit. This isn't a business for me- I'd rather sell to someone who will enjoy owning and using it.

As for the software, you'll probably get a better total price if you sell it separately, assuming it's stuff that is in demand. Selling software can be a lot of faffing around though, and some of it is worth less than the postage.

I wouldn't worry about including the software, it would be polite to delete anything that's still sold though (e.g. Calamus) unless you include the original disks.

Tillek has approached me in email and we've discussed the purchase via phone for the last few weeks/days. He has made what I think is a fair offer. I'm not going to post it out of respect for him.

He approached me almost from the time I posted the original message above so I opted not to go the eBay route or even put an asking price for the machine here or elsewhere. He is buying everything from me, including software, etc. Great person and I hope he will be happy with the machine!

Regards,

Chris

Tillek has approached me in email and we've discussed the purchase via phone for the last few weeks/days. He has made what I think is a fair offer. I'm not going to post it out of respect for him.

He approached me almost from the time I posted the original message above so I opted not to go the eBay route or even put an asking price for the machine here or elsewhere. He is buying everything from me, including software, etc. Great person and I hope he will be happy with the machine!

Regards,

Chris

No sweat, wasn't trying to pressure you or anything. I'm always curious when one shows up on ebay, can't tell if the prices are whack or spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, pull HD Driver and ExTendos off if there, or anything that is still even halfway maintained.

Uwe keeps track of each and every serial number registered with users whom purchase his softs.

It's only right.

ExTendos is another product that deserves observance.

Roger has provided a product for us that really doesn't have competition, or same continual development. He's also contributed immeasurably projects he's worked on for open use.

Honestly, I don't think "I have the original disk, I can transfer the license to whomever buys it" valid. A user purchases the license, and unless people like Uwe or Roger allow that license to be passed on, then the burden should be placed on the seller, or purchaser, not either of the two developers.

Yup, there's hundreds of coders who have, and continue to support all of us in more ways than half of us will ever know and don't ask for much.

But that's not justification.....

I'm getting weird with age