IGNORED

Child World Childrens Palace price tags on vintage game hardware

I remember Kay-Bee selling games. And I clearly remember the bargain bins when the video game crash happened.

I remember the bins of games. I picked up oddball Colecovision games like Frantic Freddy and Sorcerer and Firefly on Atari for 2 bucks each.

Sometime in mid to late 1984 (maybe early 85') my local Sears was dumping loads of later Atari games and later Activision titles. (Pengo, Joust etc) for 5-10 bucks a game or less.

$.50 for Berzerk?! Don't remember seeing it that heavily discounted at the usual outlets.

I'd say that's less of an indication of the "crash" and more telling of a retailer that simply couldn't unload the game. One aspect that isn't as talked about, is the fact there were a ton of non-traditional (gaming wise) retailers selling Atari games in the 80's. Grocery stores, drug stores, five and dime, small ma and pa hardware stores, Ace Hardware, etc. Target audience obviously wasn't gamers, so it was at these types of places where you could find great deals sometimes.

The game in the pic is from Revco. It was a local drug chain I remember. I actually remember games being blown out at these prices. I only ever picked up a few titles at the time because I already owned most of the common titles that they were dumping.