IGNORED

My Intellivision died!

cmb1100

Hey guys! I have a Model 1 Intellivision and when I turn it on, it shows a black screen with nothing on it whether or not there is a cartridge inserted. What has happened to my Intellivision and is there any way to fix it? Or do I have to go buy a new one? I have a lot of games for it and would like to be able to play them again.

Any help is much appreciated.

Chris

First thing to try.. Put in cartridge, turn on and press reset button. A lot of these console end up doing this but hitting reset will make it work. If that doesnt work you need to open the console, take the power switch apart and clean it and try. From there it gets more difficult and detailed

Definitely try a variety of carts. I have Intellivisions that are 'picky' and don't like certain carts. Sometimes inserting one partially or even at an angle does the trick. Make sure to clean your cart pub connectors (I use either isopropyl alcohol or Windex on a Q-tip). Finally, if you own an Intellivoice, try using that between the console and the cart. It doesn't really solve your problem, but might get you playing again. I have a console that seems to hate carts, but connects well with the Intellivoice. The carts then seem to like the Intellivoice, so voila! Good luck! Pimpmaul won't steer you wrong :)

Definitely try inserting the cartridge then backing it out a hair, and pressing reset.

If you still get a black screen, then the next thing to check is to open the unit and check the power supply voltages, and the ribbon cable for continuity. The ribbon cables are notorious for going bad. The ribbon is made from metal strips inside laminated plastic. The plastic delaminates and separates over time, and the metal strips inside can corrode and fail. Missing voltages can cause the black screen problem.

- J

• Like 1

Finally, if you own an Intellivoice, try using that between the console and the cart. It doesn't really solve your problem, but might get you playing again. I have a console that seems to hate carts, but connects well with the Intellivoice. The carts then seem to like the Intellivoice, so voila! Good luck! Pimpmaul won't steer you wrong :)

I had exactly the same problem. Guess what!

Some contacts of the cartridge connector (little springs) were no more aligned properly. It worked with an Intellivoice, but not with my cartridges. One spring contact was a tiny, little bit off and no more closing the contact. With the help of a small screw driver I very carefully bent the springs to the middle of the connector. That's all. :)

I have a Model 1 Intellivision and when I turn it on, it shows a black screen with nothing on it whether or not there is a cartridge inserted.

Do you know this console? Sure that it worked until recently. Or an "ebay black box"?

There are many possible reasons! Often bad contacts. But can also be a dead component.

If cleaning does not work, you probably need somebody, with some Intellivision and electronic skills and probably a working console to swap components. Do not throw away your dead console. It always can be an useful box full of spare parts for other consoles.