Rick Dangerous

No Atari system is complete without one too many space shooters. Many of the standard releases have been discussed ad nausea here..

I have at this point:

Raiden

Trevor McFur

Protector SE

Defender 2k

What I'm wondering is, where do I go from here? Out of the following three demo's/partially completed games, which would you say is the best/most complete, and in what order would you acquire them?

Phase Zero

Space War

Zero 5

Additionally, are there any noteworthy space shooters that I forgot to mention, and what are their merits and high point?

Much appreciate the inputs on my journey to put together a rock solid Jaguar collection.

(and I intentionally did not include BS or BSG because they aren't really attainable games for new collectors. Please omit them if you can bear to.)

Zero 5 *is* complete and the best of the three you listed IMO.

Next shooter I'd get before considering the others is I-War. Great game all around that even has some minor puzzle elements to it.

You can skip Hoverstrike on cartridge. :lol:

Phase Zero is more complete I think, than Space War, but no real reason to play either - other than curiosities sake for a few minutes. That said, Phase Zero is a little more fun than Air Cars. Maybe. :lol:

If you'd consider the CD unit, Battlemorph is the best shooter yet - of the ones I just talked about.

Battlesph...

(and I intentionally did not include BS or BSG because they aren't really attainable games for new collectors. Please omit them if you can bear to.)

Oh. Nuts.

I'd throw Fallen Angels in there. The price is right and it's pretty fun for a while.

• Like 2

Zero 5 *is* complete and the best of the three you listed IMO.

Next shooter I'd get before considering the others is I-War. Great game all around that even has some minor puzzle elements to it.

You can skip Hoverstrike on cartridge. :lol:

Phase Zero is more complete I think, than Space War, but no real reason to play either - other than curiosities sake for a few minutes. That said, Phase Zero is a little more fun than Air Cars. Maybe. :lol:

If you'd consider the CD unit, Battlemorph is the best shooter yet - of the ones I just talked about.

Thanks! Zero 5 it is, for my next space shooter purchase. I have I war and enjoy it, as well as the CD version of hoverstrike. I guess I didn't include those because you are hovering around terrain but I suppose they are in space, one literal, the other cyber?

Don't know how I forgot Battlermorph, maybe because it doesn't seem like it's in space. But have it and love it! Easily one of my favorites for the jag.

Battlesph...

Oh. Nuts.

I'd throw Fallen Angels in there. The price is right and it's pretty fun for a while.

Thank you! I know everyone on here has had it forever and would part with their left nut before selling it for 2k on ebay, but its just frustrating for new collectors.

Fallen Angels is a partially completed game and is on Jag CD and available from best or B&C correct? Thanks for the tip will check it out, especially if on CD.

Well, we got new work laptops. Unfortunately for my Jaguar Homebrew CD burning aspirations they are MacBook airs.

Thinking of going up to my parents (!) and burning everything on their desktop. CJ is the reboot page (how to burn a Jaguar CD) up to date as far as you know? Still use DJ 6, etc?

http://reboot.atari.org/new-reboot/burning.html

Unless you're some sort of masochist, get a autofire kit from Danny Galaga and put it in a jagpad. This will really help with Zero5. I have one myself but have not put it in yet. It might be a bear to put in.

I have seen videos of Zero 5 and this seems like a good idea. Luckily there is a local electronics wizard that could install the kit for me.

Do you have the link/contact info for the kit? Thanks

Wow after playing Raiden last night I'm definitely going to have to looks into this... More than a few game son the jag it seems would benefit from a turbo button.

Careful. You'll have the "don't be a whining pussy" brigade - who prefer to hit a fire button, repeatedly, 2163 times in a single sitting of Raiden - on your back.

Or at least, that's what happened to me years ago when I complained of a lack of auto-fire option in Raiden/Zero5/TMcFur ;-)

"Kids these days just want things easy" etc :P

• Like 1