IGNORED

Jaguar Bomberman

PSW

It sounds like the single player version is really involved and nowhere near done. If someone else is going to be doing it in their spare time I wouldn't be holding my breath for this to be done and out anytime soon.

The development complexity of a DynaBlaster (If I'm not mistaken, Dynablaster predates Bomberman) clone depends linearly on the number of game modes you would like to have in the game.

About 5-10 yrs ago I was invited to implement a multiplatorm next-gen version with on-line leaderboards, rankings, clothing/body customization and about a triple amount of game modes compared to X360 Bomberman (read : insane amount of game modes - I declined, as financing was sketchy).

From the very detailed GameDesign document, it became clearly obvious - that the shortest way to get some playable prototype - is to implement a 2-player game (as there was no AI to debug/tweak : the AI is essentially supplied by another human being).

Assuming the coder would not have to start from scratch, but would work with some library he is familiar with, and thus can focus on the actual game coding (not the low-level audio/rendering/input engine side of things in ASM), I am pretty confident it is possible to whip up a fully playable level (2D, for 2 players, no bots, 3-5 powerups, some basic sounds, score) in under a single week.

Sounds easy, eh ? Well, only until you try to get a full-time week worth of coding done over your life schedule :)

3-4 weekends would give you an equivalent of one full-time week, so that's probably a more realistic scenario.

We're not in Jaguar forum ? :-D Sorry !

Unless I'm mistaken, that's the Bomberman clone that Seb worked on, which is not the same Bomberman that Mike Mika (professional programmer) managed to strike a deal with between Atari and Hudson Soft for an SNES version port to the Jaguar.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's the Bomberman clone that Seb worked on, which is not the same Bomberman that Mike Mika (professional programmer) managed to strike a deal with between Atari and Hudson Soft for an SNES version port to the Jaguar.

Pardon my ignorance, but how long did Mike work for Atari [Corp]? Did he also originally work for Atari Inc? I tried Googling and checking LinkedIn but didn't find a lot of info. His work on reprogramming Donkey Kong [i'm guessing it was the NES ROM] to allow the player to play as the female character was definitely cool.

Pardon my ignorance, but how long did Mike work for Atari [Corp]? Did he also originally work for Atari Inc? I tried Googling and checking LinkedIn but didn't find a lot of info. His work on reprogramming Donkey Kong [i'm guessing it was the NES ROM] to allow the player to play as the female character was definitely cool.

All that seems to be explained in the radio interview that was posted at the beginning of this thread.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I've actually been in off and on contact with Mike over the past decade to locate this source... he contacted me again this summer to let me know they had recently re-discovered it, but I have not received anything yet. Hopefully soon, as I could use another project to work on after Resurgence is available. :)

What's News?

• Like 2

Very cool! I'm very tempted to contact Mike Mika since he's in the Bay Area to see if he's willing to pass the source code to the Jaguar community to see if the game can be completed for an offical release. (Sounds like he's willing to listening to the podcast) Image playing 8 players w/ 2 team taps on the jag! Talk about the ultimate party game :)

Just shy of the 10 player Bomberman for the Saturn but crap I would be game for a copy of this one I would just need a few more controllers and some team taps.

It's not a legend ! Ok here it is :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8ttwz_ac-2008-19-et-20-avril-2008_videogames at 11:10

http://zerosquare.free.fr/ac_2008/DSCF0869.JPG

(from left to right) Fadest, SebRmv, Fredifredo and Stabylo betatesting the Removers' Bomberman clone, on the Jaguar.

Aw sticks of dynamite though. But definitely awesome.

Stick of dynamite is pretty clever if they're trying to get around the Bomberman/Dynablaster theme. Which come to think of it, Dynablaster as titles go, fits an exploding stick of dynamite better than a bomb, but whatever UBI/Hudson!

Am hoping we get a multi-player DynamiteStickMan Bomberman clone to play on the Jaguar one of these years! :)

• 2 months later...