IGNORED

Jaguar Bomberman

PSW

I'm not bothered, I just point out facts. First off, we have someone saying that this Bomberman, which has never been released, is not complete and per the Jaguar dev manual, can't possibly support 10 players is "technically" the first 10 player Bomberman game. Beating out the 10 player Bomberman on Saturn that ACTUALLY EXISTS. That's fume logic. Then we have someone claiming that this unfinished game that may never see the light of day will be considered one of the best Jaguar games. And now you're speculating that it not only uses multiple team taps, but the JagLink instead of perhaps the SMALL chance the dev couldn't remember if it supported 8 or 10 players. The developer himself said he couldn't remember if it was 8 or 10 players, yet all the fume inhalers know better and say it supports 10 players.

• Like 4

FUME INHALERS. Wow such emotion.

With the history of the folks around here lashing out around here over trivial nonsense, are you really surprised? Maybe he just really hates bomberman. Better yet maybe he's not actually a FAN of the Jaguar. Madman would probably fancy himself playing Amiga or Atari ST games. Or perhaps the multiplayer is the real issue. Perhaps he never enjoyed Bomberman before due to not having enough friends to round up for a multiplayer game? (no 8-10 friends, huh buddy?) WOW those were really mean comments from me. I APOLOGIZE, SINCERELY. That smug Atari Age attitude seems to be rubbing off on me......

I had many late night hours of multi-player Bomberman on SNES when I was in college. There isn't anything to get, it's just blowing up your friends and sometimes yourself on accident. One of the best party games ever IMO.

Or perhaps the multiplayer is the real issue. Perhaps he never enjoyed Bomberman before due to not having enough friends to round up for a multiplayer game? (no 8-10 friends, huh buddy?)

• Like 3

I'm not bothered, I just point out facts. First off, we have someone saying that this Bomberman, which has never been released, is not complete and per the Jaguar dev manual, can't possibly support 10 players is "technically" the first 10 player Bomberman game. Beating out the 10 player Bomberman on Saturn that ACTUALLY EXISTS. That's fume logic. Then we have someone claiming that this unfinished game that may never see the light of day will be considered one of the best Jaguar games. And now you're speculating that it not only uses multiple team taps, but the JagLink instead of perhaps the SMALL chance the dev couldn't remember if it supported 8 or 10 players. The developer himself said he couldn't remember if it was 8 or 10 players, yet all the fume inhalers know better and say it supports 10 players.

But you are bothered and you aren't pointing out facts. I count 6 instances in your message where you bring up the question of it being 10 players. You're trying to beat this into our heads as facts when in fact your statements are merely speculations like ours.

1. Yes, the Jaguar console by itself supports 8 players with 2 team taps. LAST I CHECKED THAT WAS NEVER A QUESTION HERE. But, it is possible for a game to support more than 8 players and that is through the JagLink. And whether it does or not, who cares? The developer, who is the only one in a position to talk actual facts about the game, can't remember exactly. Nobody is rushing out to buy another console and JagLink in the hopes of this game supporting more than 8 players. But thank you for gracing us with your wisdom as I had my keys in hand and was about to rush out to buy another system based on my own speculation.

2. Saying a game will be the best available for any system is SUBJECTIVE. I would have thought you'd known that. The rest of us do. You didn't see anyone jump in here and say "Heresy! Tempest 2K is the best game on the Jaguar!" It doesn't take away from your favorite game if someone says they like a different game more even if they say their favorite will be the best ever.

3. Nobody here is under the illusion that the Jaguar will rise from the grave and start taking on main stream consoles. Honestly, why can't we have a little fun speculating and talking about the possibility of a new game. It's kind of like talking about prototypes or other unreleased games. Last I checked SoulStar was nearing a release. A few years ago maybe you would've pointed out that the only version available was corrupted and that a playable version would never happen.

4. Who cares about the Saturn version? I don't. I don't own a Saturn and will not be buying one. So that makes the Saturn version of Bomberman just as accessible for me to play as the Jag version. Nobody has asked to compare and contrast the versions with one another. It was merely brought up as currently the one that supports...Ah hell, I'm tired of arguing with someone who doesn't care anything about this thread.

• Like 2

But you are bothered and you aren't pointing out facts.

I pointed out that the Saturn Bomberman was released and the Jaguar Bomberman isn't. That's not a fact? Please provide me a link to the Jag Bomberman ROM or a place to purchase the cart to disprove my claim.

I pointed out that an unreleased game in which nobody can confirm how many players are supported is not the first 10 player Bomberman game, the Saturn version is. That's not a fact? Can you upload a screen shot from your 10 player Jag Bomberman setup to disprove me?

I linked to documentation from the Jaguar dev manual that 8 players are the most supported. That's not a fact? Can you upload some sample code showing 10 player support on a Jag?

• Like 2

Madman points out facts. He's right about the fumes not having gone anywhere over the years, hehe. 'Fun speculation' is fun, but for those that have been involved in the Jag scene for 20+ years, it's a bit tiring. It's better to be logical and focus on what's known and whats PROBABLE (not just possible, no matter infinitesimally likely it is to come to pass). I'm not trying to be abrupt or belittling, but let's look at what's known:

- Back in the day there were rumours about Bomberman coming out (online, late 90s / early 2000s), but no official announcements of the game (IIRC) and it didn't appear on any official coming soon lists (IIRC). I have a multi-hundred page folder of physical Jag stuff here that's roughly in chronological order. I can check it when I get a chance, but I don't remember it being mentioned in any magazines.
- No ROM has been uncovered, maybe there's some source code or binary on a disc. Maybe. Artwork looks somewhat official, but I don't remember Konami being an official developer / publisher. I could be wrong.

- 8 players via team-tap is the maximum the Jag officially supports. I have no doubt that they could've put in Jaglink support, but given how vocal Atari was about it being in games that never ended up supporting it (Club Drive, Iron Soldier) and given it's never been mentioned in anything surrounding Bomberman, I doubt it's in there. Let's play with facts and work with the likelihood it doesn't support it. So, eight players max as suggested, or perhaps four players. Either would be great.

I help run small video game and music events at pubs, and have assisted with video games museums at bigger conventions with retro areas (e.g. PAX Australia). Bomberman is hands down our go to party game, be it on the PC Engine (5 players) or Sega Saturn (10 players, but what a chore it is to get set up!). IF a Jaguar Bomberman game were to come out, IF it supported 4 to 8 players, and IF it was a nice blend of all the classic Bomberman games, it has the potential to be the best Jaguar party game by a good mile. That's a whole lot of ifs.

I think it's good to hope for the best, I think it's good to follow and speak to devs online, it's good to post news, it's good to want the game (I'm very keen). I don't think it's particularly helpful to endlessly speculate, nor (sorry to say, I'm being honest and not trying to be rude) discuss possible gameplay options or do box art for something that at this point doesn't exist.

If all comes to pass, I personally *hope* the graphics and sound are a good notch above the 16 bit versions, but I'm not holding my breath. If it was a straight PC Engine or SNES port, or was similar to the Saturn version, I'd be pretty happy.

That said, there's already a homebrew version (was a binary ever released??). And, there's RB+. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard for a small team of enthusiasts to make X or Y game if desired. If I had the time and flexibility in my programming skills, I'd have a crack at it a first RB+ learning task....nothing like setting the bar too high ;). Unfortunately I have next to no time, and my game programming skills are okay but very rigid (which I could fix, but see that time issue).

Personal opinion: I reckon if the effort spent on speculation was spent on learning to code, not only would valuable skills be learnt, but there'd be more Jag games (I say that as a school IT teacher though, everyone can learn how to code IMHO). Win win. ;)

Edited by skip
  • Like 5

We'll see them in the future,i hope so and i'm sorry if i created some kind of war with my posts.

There's no 'war', it's not that exciting ;) , but a sense of rationality needs to be applied to almost any Jag related 'news' these days... Or ever really. ;)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't be a proto if it was complete.

Thats why asked if the PROTO was complete.......and did not ask if the GAME was complete.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/22/7434715/google-first-complete-prototype-autonomous-car-photo

Google should of asked you if they were allowed to make this complete prototype. Shame on them.

Edited by Rev

• 1 month later...

Is it true that you were once working on a Bomberman title for the Atari Jaguar?

It’s true! In 1994, my friends and I formed a company that began work on the title for Atari. We managed to get the multiplayer game up and running before Atari shut down all Jaguar related efforts (boooooo – Ed).

Wow! Is there any chance this title could yet see the light of day, especially considering the strong and passionate Jaguar homebrew community?

Strong and passionate is an understatement! I love this community because they will keep all hope alive. And if they hadn’t been persistent all those years, we may have overlooked the archive we found in my brother’s garage. He was the lead programmer and the key person behind the game. So many people have offered to help, and we may reach out to them, but until then, it has been backed up and my brother, along with another Jaguar scene aficionado, plan to get it up and running and made available to the community (yippee! – Ed).