IGNORED

MyBIOS 4.9.B6 released, for MyIDE-][, altirra and stand-a-lone.

mr-atari

I would be using Help key held down to get to all the menu's and using help + whatever other key at the same time to toggle stuff....

select is MIO territory and start is cassette, option is basic/self test. help is a natural key to get screens to help you do what you want.

holding help and reset at the same time on a black box performs a cold start but leaves extended banks as they were with ramdisk contents preserved

so holding help down gets menus or holding help and a key at same time toggles functions but just quick press acts like a normal help key for a program

EDIT: sorry I was reading previous page of thread, I see you have the timed key press idea already... still would like most function be tied to help+akey to get stuf done like sio on off etc instead of all the other stuff

[HELP] is a key itself.

Pressing 2 keys on a A8 does not work

So [HELP] + anykey, does nothing.

Thanks for the help though!

Edited by mr-atari

I see, that helps thanks, I guess the original MyIDE functions still work the same, going by what i read at atarimax. Is the most recent version version 3.21 of the last word from FJC compatible seems to hang up while booting...

Yes, the latest BETA: MyBIOS4.9.B8 is fully compatible with Last Word.

:-)

But since LW uses OSRAM, you must use the internal ROM version (R2) to make this work.

The MyBIOS (F2) loaded from cartridge installs itself in OSRAM and 2 users is a no-go area....

When you have u1MB, just flash the R2 in one of the empty OS-slots.

Be sure the MyIDE-][ cartridge has the same firmware, R2 does a identification-check.

Edited by mr-atari

IIRC it was possible using ANTIC to generate (by an external switch) an NMI which can not be disabled. Perhaps an RESET_NMI is the one we are talking about.

Of course I understand it has to be a feature in the MyBIOS, but that was what I was referring to: make the MyBIOS act that when that NMI occurs the MyIDE menu (with swapping features etc.) comes up. Or isn't that possible?

But I have to look it up for you. Perhaps I can find it in the manual of the MultiPlexer of Bob Puff. The Multiplexer had the feature of installing a small switch on your atari and providing some on-the-fly ML-monitor. To be continued

Yes, the RESET_NMI. The same as I was referring to.

One draw-back: when a GAME is installed and runs from OSRAM, this button will do nothing either......

[HELP]+reset works great for now, for me.....

huh, I was using last word with mybios on myide1mbitflash before... it won't work anymore?

No, the term "fully compatible with Last Word" is applicable now ;-)

It has always worked from ROM, but some shift+control-keys were consumed by the OS, needed for LW-functions.

That's all to it.

I would like to see a file that can be run from DOS, that would switch to the MyIDE OS living in RAM under the OS. It could be useful to me when changing media and trying to read each drive which some are setup MyIDE, and some are SpartaDOS-X APT partitions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is possible when using SDX in USE BANKED mode to load a replacement OS into RAM.

That would be a useful tool.

• Like 1

At the moment I have only 2 flavours.

One version loaded from MyIDE-][ flashrom, installs into OSRAM.

One version as replacement OS inside your ATARI.

But I don't see the use for a file-version, except for OS_B 400/800 compatibility.

You still need the MyIDE-][ cartridge to use the OS in full.

I guess when you are skilled enough, you can replace the $FF in $FE of the ROM version to get version that runs from OSRAM.

(The OS has no checksum)

Somewhere found here:

0743++ C591 A9 3C       	LDA     #$3C
0744++ C593 8D 03 D3    	STA     PBCTL   ;precondition port B outputs
0745++ C596~            	.IF RAM
0746++ C596~            	LDA     #$FE	;SOFT-OS, BASIC OFF
0747++ C596             	.ELSE
0748++ C596 A9 FF       	LDA	#$FF	;HARD-OS, BASIC OFF
0749++ C598             	.ENDIF
0750++ C598 8D 01 D3    	STA     PORTB   ;pre-initialize port B 

But you need to write a loader, then do a JMP (RESET)

At the moment I have only 2 flavours.

One version loaded from MyIDE-][ flashrom, installs into OSRAM.

One version as replacement OS inside your ATARI.

But I don't see the use for a file-version, except for OS_B 400/800 compatibility.

You still need the MyIDE-][ cartridge to use the OS in full.

I guess when you are skilled enough, you can replace the $FF in $FE of the ROM version to get version that runs from OSRAM.

(The OS has no checksum)

Somewhere found here:

0743++ C591 A9 3C       	LDA     #$3C
0744++ C593 8D 03 D3    	STA     PBCTL   ;precondition port B outputs
0745++ C596~            	.IF RAM
0746++ C596~            	LDA     #$FE	;SOFT-OS, BASIC OFF
0747++ C596             	.ELSE
0748++ C596 A9 FF       	LDA	#$FF	;HARD-OS, BASIC OFF
0749++ C598             	.ENDIF
0750++ C598 8D 01 D3    	STA     PORTB   ;pre-initialize port B 

But you need to write a loader, then do a JMP (RESET)

But for you being master coder is all so easy... for end user purchaser.... these things are beyond capable....

• Like 1

No, the term "fully compatible with Last Word" is applicable now ;-)

It has always worked from ROM, but some shift+control-keys were consumed by the OS, needed for LW-functions.

That's all to it.

The last word 2.1 Seems to work from the image menu, i was a able to open and write to a file. would be nice to be able to use the later versions as well without having an U1MB ( currently working on getting one installed)

The delayed special-keys / flashing border and audio-feedback works great for me.

Short update:

I found and fixed some compatibility issues with 400/800 software jumping directly to CIO-subroutines as-well as E:,S:,K:-subroutines.

Moved some stuff around and finally put the last bit of MyIDE-][ code into flash.

Hey, why have it in the OS when the cartridge is not present?

;-)

I have put the MyBIOS boot-up-screen in the ROM-version (selftest-area) for user-recognition, when it boots without the cartridge.

Seems now that the whole OS can fit again in 16k space including a full international character-set.

Who knows I can send out an almost ready beta #9 later this year....

I must honestly admit that in the past I was very skeptical about soft-OS, but since almost 2 years I'm only using stock Atari 8bit computers; so with MyIDE ][ this means I'm with the Flash OS, and it does really a nice job. I can run everything I want on that (except Turbobasic XL 1.5). That is pretty cool.

I'm doing my business administration with Syncalc on MyBIOS-F and I'm using Bobterm and Ice-Term with the Flash OS… and a word processor.

Even the fabulous Abbuc Winning Game Dimo's Quest runs excellent from the Images in MyBIOS-F …

So a congratulations is in place. It's pretty good.

• Like 1

Does the help key work with shift and control like any other atari key??? would that not solve some problems?

Control Help to get MyIDE main

Shift Help to get MyIDE Image Menu

Shift Control Help to get Reset Menu

maybe thats another way to go or no?

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Update, now on beta #10.

Rough code, needs to be cleaned-up later.

But the core seems OK now.

Just drop me a line when you spot strange behavior.

File is for MyIDE-][ cartridge and optional internal OS.

Standard 4.8 version that came with the cartridge is also included.

Cheers,

Sijmen.

Update, now on beta #10.

Rough code, needs to be cleaned-up later.

But the core seems OK now.

Just drop me a line when you spot strange behavior.

File is for MyIDE-][ cartridge and optional internal OS.

Standard 4.8 version that came with the cartridge is also included.

Cheers,

Sijmen.

Hi Sijmen,

Could you also provide the PAC file (in the readme.txt I read about it, but it was not in the zip).

Thanks

M.

Am I right btw. that the 'freeze' function uses the same space on the CF card as the saved menu of R1 does?

Which means: when I use that feature I would lose compatibility with R1 with the same CF card?

I also found in previous versions that the Diskette version occupies also that space. Is there enough space on that unused part of the CF card to take different locations?

You probably can't imagine but I found use for the Diskette version on MyIDE+Flash (MyIDE 1).

I did put SDX on MyIDE+Flash and I transferred your Diskette version to a COM file, so I am able to use MyBIOS on that MyIDE+Flash without the need of a SIO drive to use MyBIOS (which is no longer as a flash version on that MyIDE). But when I re-inserted that CF card in my MyIDE 2 interface, I found out that the MyBIOS menu's were gone.

Also when I used MyIDE R2 on a certain point the MyIDE menu from R1 was gone.

Since I keep also using F1/R1 (especially since I also keep using my MyIDE1 interfaces), I hope you can use different locations for:

*) Myide R1 menu

*) 'Freezer' save/load

*) Diskette version of MyBIOS

Any chance that is possible?

I would appreciate it!

Greetz

M.

Yes, I did this just to be on the safe side.....

For advanced users, that like to build their own flash-file.

And know what they are doing.

Here are the separate files for #B10.

Thanks! I appreciate that too!

Yes, you are right. LBA2-LBA255 are used for different functions between MyIDE-1 and MyIDE-2

It was nver intended to combine both MyBIOS on the same CF-card.

Not sure how to fix, freeze/unfreeze uses a lot of space, also to dump partial SRAM-content......

But your remarks are noted.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by mr-atari