IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Maybe something like this would look better? (Yes I am aware that the mockup looks crappy, it was just a quickie for illustrative purposes.)

That's different from Post #1242 on the last page how?

You going with great minds think alike? Or did you just copy/paste?

I may make a version with white box spines and cart end label. That would break up the yellow. I may also reverse the order of Pac-Man and the ghost. Not sure yet. I want to stay away from the blue since the Pac-Man 4K cart is blue. I think something so true to the original arcade should leverage the arcade graphics and colors.

I'll post an update when I can.

Thanks!

B

I like it! Bright and bold. Would you have a hi res version of the box front I could use for my Launchbox cover art?

I have no problem giving you the high-res artwork, but since what I have created has not been blessed by the developer it shouldnt be considered the approved packaging. If what I have designed winds up being what he decides to use I can get you the assets.

Thanks!

B

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to try to sway his opinion, but I hope its the Yellow. :D

Problem with the yellow is it is so loud having an all yellow label. That's why I voted for the Navy background. It makes the Pacman logo really pop. Then again, NostAlgea's artwork on the previous page is also very nice. I like the sunshine effect as opposed to a solid color backdrop.

Problem with the yellow is it is so loud having an all yellow label. That's why I voted for the Navy background. It makes the Pacman logo really pop. Then again, NostAlgea's artwork on the previous page is also very nice. I like the sunshine effect as opposed to a solid color backdrop.

I agree, but don't forget Brian O's artwork also has the sunburst effect (you just can't see it unless you view the full image).

The reverse of the characters and their eyes makes more sense. (I mean NostAlgae37's)

Thanks, NE146, I never saw a Puck-Man cabinet! Never thought that was actually made.

post-27802-0-53184700-1467043009.jpeg

• Like 7

I agree, but don't forget Brian O's artwork also has the sunburst effect (you just can't see it unless you view the full image).

The reverse of the characters and their eyes makes more sense.

Thanks, NE146, I never saw a Puck-Man cabinet! Never thought that was actually made.

Now we are talking! :lust:

• Like 1

I would love to see Brian O make box/label mockups using the minor changes I suggested (and possibly tweaking the colors by breaking up the solid yellow portion). Sometimes small details can make a huge difference in people's perceptions (it's why I tend to focus on pose/gesture in art because it can tell a story all by itself).

The reverse of the characters and their eyes makes more sense. (I mean NostAlgae37's)

Um, forget what I ever said about the yellow. Also,

emoji.jpg

Now we are talking! :lust:

You call that an emoji? :grin:

• Like 1

Personally i would change the yellow sunburst-effect with the parts of black background, which the arcade-machine had. Then it would look really good.

Is it possible to make a clickable poll here in the forum? Then all users can vote for their favourite label of "PAC-MAN 2600", maybe two weeks long or so, and the winner in the end will be the new label then.

I created the image the way I thought looked best. I can't spend countless hours revamping the packaging to accommodate every design possibility.

Besides, Dintar hasn't weighed in yet. He may not want to use any of my design. For now, I'm keeping the design as is, unless Dintar wants to move forward with it.

Thanks,

-B

Edited by Brian O

Hello, after a long time (about 7 months since the last version) here is a new update.

These are the changes:

1. Now the "hi sccore" is only on the title screen.

2 .The function of the switches has changed: "reset" = reset to the title screen, "select" = select level, and now only with "fire" starts the game.

3. Added a "pause" function (with "fire").

4. A change in the "chase / scatter timer". (now there are 3 "tables" like the arcade: the first at level 1, the second at level 2 and the last from level 5).

5. A change in "flicker" routine (more optimized and simplified).

I just found this earlier in the week - no surprise when I say holly freakin' cow!

As you can see by my handle - I am a long standing "Pac - Man - Fan"

Like everyone else, I wish this was the game Atari had put out long ago when I was beyond exited to get pac-man for my 2600 back in the day.

But, before you finalize the game, a humble request:

An option for a FAST pac-man speed.

Many of the original arcades got a speed up chip to help keep the game interesting. I would assume this would be a simple addition (with a difficult switch or something) if you so choose.

Edited by pac_man_fan

Namco never throws C&D orders around? I'm glad they have the kindness to just leave this little niche alone. They'd have nothing to gain from it.

I'll gladly support DINTAR and AA for putting this out.

I think that's more of a Nintendo thing, who have a history of shitting on their biggest fans. Here's the latest casualty:

https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/nintendo-entertainment-system-famicom-a-visual-compendium-submit

Zippy the Porcupine, as well as all of the wonderful Pacman related IP in the AA store, seem safe for now.

• Like 1