IGNORED

ITalk II voice synthesizer for Atari 400/800

Savetz

Great stuff! I was always interested in these things when I saw the ads in magazines. Do you have a working Alien voice unit?

I haven't gotten the Alien voice unit to work yet. I'm having problems with the software. I should RTFM, that might help. Doing it by intuition has not helped.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

@Deadline Second question: Yes. The Atari's Pokey sound chip is capable of doing the voice synthesis of these devices all on it's own. The proof is S.A.M. (maybe just SAM) Which, IIRC, stands for Software Actuated Mouth. I'd have provided a link or the software here, but my internet is intermittent right now and I can't get Atarimania archive to load, but I believe they have it for download there, as well as half a dozen or more Atari archive sites.

For your first question, have you tried Googling?

Edited by Gunstar

@Gunstar, thanks. Yes I certainly will google search it. Please forgive me for wanting to interact with the community rather than look something up in a database. ?

I wasn't aware that SAM was available for the Atari machines, and this is a good enough answer for me. So I appreciate it.

@Deadline I ask a lot too, before searching. I just didn't have an answer to your first question. Modern voice synthesis just doesn't come up much, anywhere, that I've ever seen in the past 25 or so years, so not a clue about it. I don't think it's something many people use or care about these days beyond Alexa and Siri, etc.. The only stuff I hear about along these lines is voice-to-text programs like Dragon.

By the same token, I wasn't aware that SAM was available for other machines myself, especially 8-bit. I thought it was a program exclusive to Atari 8-bits since they have the POKEY. I think the only other 8-bit with a sound chip good enough, without additional hardware, to do software-only synthesis on 8-bits might be the C64's SID. I'm guessing that's where you know it from?

Edited by Gunstar