IGNORED

Introducing: Edladdin Controllers for the 7800

edladdin

Everything is on track with the Seagull 78 adapter! Use this adapter to play two-button 7800 games with the "B" and "C" buttons on your Sega Genesis Gamepad.

* We just finished the PCB design and ordered the first run of 200 boards

* Components + enclosures for 100 units have been ordered from Mouser

* 50 molded DB9 cords have arrived = 28" long. The best deal I could find on these was to harvest them out of brand new repo Genesis controllers from Hong Kong!

Attached is the Bill of Materials and our costs for these items. Yellow highlights are estimates. Likewise the labor, where we're assuming 0.5 hour each to strip the cords, modify the enclosures, build the PCBs, and pack up the finished product.

post-40253-0-51731800-1411452471_thumb.jpg

Edited by edladdin
  • Like 1

Will these also work with a Sega arcade stick?

That's a great question, but I don't have an answer. We tested the prototype with both a 3 button and a 6 button SEGA controller and both of those worked fine, so my GUESS would be the arcade stick would work fine also.

We will definitely give you a speedy refund if you try the Seagull 78 adapter and it does not work properly with that controller.

Will these also work with a Sega arcade stick?

That's a good question for which I do not have an answer. They SHOULD work.... We tested the prototype with both three and six button Sega pads and the Seagull adapter worked fine with both.

The PCBs are due in this afternoon or on Monday, so we should have the first production models to play with by the end of the next week or so. san-d-2000, would you be willing to be a beta tester and help us answer that question? If you will report back, I will send you one of the first lot to try. You can keep it if it works for you.

Doh! Sorry for the double post. I am still getting to know the posting interface...

Anyhow, here are some photos that show us gearing up. The first shows our starting inventory of sticks and buttons from Groovy Game Gear. The next shows what 50 gutted gamepads looks like, all stripped for their cords for the Seagull 78 adapters. The last photo is a side-by-side of the three joysticks we'll use in the Super 78s and Supreme 78s: The Zippyy, the Omni 4/8 stick, and the all-leaf stick.

post-40253-0-25996100-1412344219_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-88756400-1412344423_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-86245400-1412344546_thumb.jpg

Here are examples of a couple of Super Twin 78 prototypes. I tried a couple of different button configs and the one you see with the yellow and green parts is the winner. As compared with the red/white/blue unit, the differences are a one inch shift to the left for all components, an extra 0.25" of space between each stick and its buttons, and abandonment of the idea of putting buttons where you see the empty holes. Those kept getting tapped by the heel of the hand.

The Super Twin 78s instantly transform Robotron 2084 from a barely-playable mess to the fast-moving shooter from the arcade!

post-40253-0-26798200-1412345653_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If you're looking to use the proto housings that you drilled holes you didn't like the button positioning for you can get plugs to fill them

that look like arcade buttons. If you recall sometimes conversion cabs in arcades had them filling un-needed button holes for games

that used fewer buttons than needed from a previous game.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!

I thought you might like to see our product label artwork, which is finally finished and off to the printer.

We have also found a vendor that will print one-off overlays for the "Super" enclosure, so anyone that wants to send us their artwork will be able to have the whole control panel customized to meet their exact wishes. Once we get the basic products and the website off the ground we will post a template and pricing for this customization service.

Best wishes,

Ed

post-40253-0-13997100-1413400585_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-07580200-1413400586_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-08694200-1413400587_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-06662800-1413400588_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-06527100-1413400589_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you're looking to use the proto housings that you drilled holes you didn't like the button positioning for you can get plugs to fill them

that look like arcade buttons. If you recall sometimes conversion cabs in arcades had them filling un-needed button holes for games

that used fewer buttons than needed from a previous game.

That's a great idea! That one with the holes will end up being my personal unit, but it will look much nicer with the plugs. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to write and post a quick update, as I thought we would be over the finish line and "open for business" by the beginning of November. As it is, everything is taking a bit longer than expected.

1. Seagull 78 - We have 45 of these Sega/Atari adapters completely done and ready to ship! By the end of this week we plan to have the website/store running at www.edladdin.com, at which point we can begin processing orders.

2. Super 78 and Super Twin 78 - For these we have all the parts ready for assembly and wiring of the first dozen or so units. At this point we only lack getting a final brand/product label back from the printer. These should be ready to sell by the end of next week if the printer delivers as promised. This week we have been focusing on building the wiring harnesses for the Supers. We are using spade connectors on all fittings for EZ replacement of microswitches in the future. Likewise, we are using Atari colors on all the connection wires so there will be a direct match between the hardware and the 7800 controller pinout diagrams in the FAQ.

3. All-Leaf Supreme & All-Play 4/8 Supreme - These are the farthest from completion. On these we are also waiting for the final labels, plus we are still waiting for the cabinetmaker to deliver the first run of oak enclosures. We should have the labels next week, but the cabinetmaker has been more elusive.

I'll post again when the website is live! v1.0 is going to be pretty simple, but it will process payments securely and calculate postage correctly.

Best wishes,

Ed

post-40253-0-12419100-1415198341_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-25348600-1415198354_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-86087300-1415199472_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...