IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

1. Buy programmed 1284P and 29F040 chips with cart label from me for $17.

2. Buy an assembled Ubergrom board from Arcadeshopper or Ksarul.

3. Supply your own cartridge shell.

4. Put it all together and you've got an XB v2.7 Suite cart.

Please inform every human being on the planet of the process. (or just point them towards this message :) )

Or I can just keep posting this over and over and over again as I've figured out copy and paste so it's not too difficult. :twisted:

Gazoo

One note on the 29F040 chips--they really need a high-quality programming socket. I've had perfect results every time with this type of socket (these are live-bug type):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320480344864?

These work too, although they don't last as long, from the experiences of others that tried them (dead-bug type):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360211889539?

Avoid anything of lower quality like the plague. Those adapters don't work well at all.

1. Buy programmed 1284P and 29F040 chips with cart label from me for $17.

2. Buy an assembled Ubergrom board from Arcadeshopper or Ksarul.

3. Supply your own cartridge shell.

4. Put it all together and you've got an XB v2.7 Suite cart.

Please inform every human being on the planet of the process. (or just point them towards this message :) )

Or I can just keep posting this over and over and over again as I've figured out copy and paste so it's not too difficult. :twisted:

Gazoo

Gazoo, I would definitely like to take you up on the offer to buy the programmed chips from you as stated line 1 of your post above. I would love to put one of these carts together.

I have PM'ed you regarding this. Please let me know if this is something you'd consider. I know that I am new here but I PM'ed you before about the XB v2.7 and never received a reply so I thought that I would try again.

Thank you....

Try pressing and holding SHIFT and ENTER when your system boots. You should get the traditional TI titlle screen. Press any key and the XB2.7 cartridge should appear as a menu option.

A late Thank you very much for this Tip. It works flawlessly like that. BOOT / MENU are skipped and the XB-2.7 cartridge menu appears and everything starts with that! Yippeh!

I will also give the non-autostart Image a try once I got a programmer.

Repurposed--new cases cost significantly more. A repurposed case runs between $2 and $4 dollars, while a new cast case runs that much in materials alone. When the cost of the rig to make the castings is considered, the cost is closer to $5 or $6--and each case takes about an hour to produce. I'd have to make something like 500 cases to recoup the cost of the casting rig at those prices with the labor being totally free. They are an option for special-purpose use, but they are definitely not the answer for mass production. A 3D printed case can cost as much as $50 (Shapeways on professional grade equipment), less on consumer-grade devices--but still much more than the cost of a repurposed shell.

I have a dozen cases I had made by Shapeways for my personal set of cartridges using the various cartridge boards--and I have a few more in cast cases I've made. Acadiel has a couple more that he made while developing the 3D files for cases, and I believe NathanAllen has made a few of the same design on his 3D printer. That's pretty much it for new-made cases.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Important notice regarding the Extended Basic v2.7 Suite cartridge

There are several versions of this cartridge software that I created 'out in the wild'.

The one that I was most concerned about has recently been updated. (He was my beta

tester for the process, so I know it works.) There are some unstable beta versions out

there that definitely need to be upgraded. There are also some version 1 carts that can

be upgraded to version 2 at the discretion of the owner.

The newest version, version 2, has an undocumented feature. There is 15k of GRAM memory

from g>6000 to g>9BFF on page 9, or recently referred to as Grom Base >9820. This memory

can be used to run GPL code (which I've tested and is pretty cool) or can be used by an

assembly language program as 15k of extra data storage space.

To check which version of the cartridge that you have, press fctn-7 at the main

white-on-blue menu screen. You will see the green credits screen. If it is outlined in black,

you have version 2 and are up to date, so don't bother with this upgrade, you're good.

If the entire screen is green with no black around the edges, there are 2 possibilities.

#1, you have a version 1 cartridge you purchased directly from me. The code in this

cartridge is stable, and you're ok unless you have a need for the 15k of Gram Memory.

#2, you have a Beta version bootleg cartridge that you didn't purchase from me. The code

in this cartridge is not stable and you should definitely upgrade it.

Now that you know what you have, and what you need to do, you know whether you need the

XB v2.7 Suite upgrade disk image attached to this post or not.

To use the XB v2.7 Suite upgrade disk image:

Make a real 40 track DSSD floppy disk from the image provided and put it in the DSK1 drive.

Do not put this disk in an 80 track drive when used with the TI disk controller, I've taken steps

to insure it will fail if you do so. (and that's just a dumb thing to do, anyway) If you have an

80 track drive as DSK1, contact me and I will provide you with an appropriate disk image.

Load the GROMCFG program with the XB v2.7 Suite cart in the cartridge port. You can do

this 3 ways, Select the TI Writer/Assembler cart (B), press 6, type 'DSK1.GROMCFG', and

press enter. The program will load.

Select Extended Basic v2.7 (A), and the program will load automatically.

Select TI Basic (Z), type 'OLD DSK1.BASICLOAD', type 'RUN', and the program will load

automatically. The 3rd option is the most cool, as you can recover from a bricked cart

with this, thanks to Tursi and Senior Falcon with their assistance on this.

Now that you've got the program loaded, follow these steps to upgrade/restore your XB v2.7

Suite cartridge.

Press ctrl-L. You'll be asked a question, press 'Y'. Type 'DSK1.XB27', and press enter.

Let the process complete! It will take some time. One the process has completed successfully,

press fctn-= (quit), and you'll be presented with the XB v2.7 menu. Press fctn-7 and you'll

see the green credits screen with the black edges.

If the process didn't work correctly, do not despair. Use the TI Basic load option for

GROMCFG and repeat the process until you are successful.

Have fun,

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 6

XB27UpgradeNoMenu.dsk

Here's another option.

This option is if you want to eliminate the autostart function of the XB v2.7 Suite cart and use the Review Module Library function of the console instead.

It might be useful if you have another device that loads an autostart program that you prefer to use instead of the XB v2.7 Suite menu. It is described in this post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229718-extended-basic-v27-suite-cartridge/page-9?do=findComment&comment=3143554

Follow the directions in the previous post for this disk, but instead of using 'DSK1.XB27' to flash the cartridge, use 'DSK1.XB27NOMENU'.

Have some more fun,

Gazoo

P.S. More fun to come. ;)

• Like 2

Gazoo...

I know youre not always providing assembled carts amd that the individual components can be purchased and assembled.

As someone who does not have the current capabilities to do an assembly, is there a time in the near future when I can expect assembled carts to come available again? $40 is extremely fair, if not undervalued for this fantastic project.

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in bringing this to be. :)

Gazoo...

I know youre not always providing assembled carts and that the individual components can be purchased and assembled.

As someone who does not have the current capabilities to do an assembly, is there a time in the near future when I can expect assembled carts to come available again? $40 is extremely fair, if not undervalued for this fantastic project.

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in bringing this to be. :)

I have enough supplies on hand to do a few more if need be. The market is pretty saturated at this point. Send me a PM, I can certainly make one for you.

Gazoo

The newest version, version 2, has an undocumented feature. There is 15k of GRAM memory
from g>6000 to g>9BFF on page 9, or recently referred to as Grom Base >9820. This memory
can be used to run GPL code (which I've tested and is pretty cool) or can be used by an
assembly language program as 15k of extra data storage space.

So close and yet so far... I was getting excited there for a micro-second, until I realized it was GRAM memory.

At first glance I only saw the >6000 but not the g in front of it. Then I saw 15k and thought, GREAT! Stuff 4A/DOS in there and have the TI go straight into the program on startup like you've done with the main menu. <sigh> someday...

The Extended Basic v2.7 Suite files are released to everyone as of today. The zip file attached contains all the files required for anyone to make their own cartridge. Up until this point I wanted to be certain of the quality of the carts released so I programmed all the chips myself and didn't release the code except to a few individuals. The process of programming the chips is well known enough at this point that I can let my quality concerns go and let other people take on that responsibility. Please do not alter the contents of this zip file in any way.

Thanks,

Gazoo

• Like 5

IMHO, the Extended BASIC 2.7 Suite cartridge is currently the best cartridge EVER made for the TI-99/4A.

I do have one observation, (you know me never quite satisfied) about a possible tweak, if another version is ever released due to new versions of programs being released or whatever... The Disk Manager 2 program that is taking up a GROM slot, does anyone with one of these cartridges actually use that program, or would you like to see it replaced in a future version? If so, what would you replace it with? To me the 'M' selection in DM2K does it all.

Thank's Gazoo (Tony) for the best damn cartridge in the TI world! (Yes, really, I'm not kidding or exaggerating).

This cartridge is so good, It's now in my computer 99% of the TIme.

• Like 1

Hey Tony, I attempted to test the restore with these disks in Classic99, and I got an error on the XB27Upgrade.DSK - both Classic99's DSR and the TI Disk Controller think there are only 3 records in the file (TI99Dir seems to see the entire thing). I had no problem restoring the NOMENU version.

It seems like the number of records in the descriptor block is corrupt, instead of >E0,>03 like the NOMENU version, it shows >03,>00.

Hey Tony, I attempted to test the restore with these disks in Classic99, and I got an error on the XB27Upgrade.DSK - both Classic99's DSR and the TI Disk Controller think there are only 3 records in the file (TI99Dir seems to see the entire thing). I had no problem restoring the NOMENU version.

It seems like the number of records in the descriptor block is corrupt, instead of >E0,>03 like the NOMENU version, it shows >03,>00.

Interesting. I created the disks with TIIMAGETOOL and it shows the complete file when opened there like TI99DIR. Also tried it in MESS and got the 3 records like you did. Thanks for the notification!

Here's a new zip with the disk image repaired.

[deleted attachment=385912:Extended Basic v2.7 Suite complete package.zip]

I tried to delete the file I originally posted a few messages back, but find that I can no longer edit that message. :( Is this a bug in the board, or is this a new function? If it's a new function, BOO!!! Please put it back the way it was. And if so, can a Moderator please delete the original file a few messages back.

Thanks, and sorry for the bad disk image. Thanks again for finding it, Tursi.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

I have enough supplies on hand to do a few more if need be. The market is pretty saturated at this point. Send me a PM, I can certainly make one for you.

Gazoo

A few more? :) I would be interested in one as well, as I have zero technical skills and/or knowledge. Would you possibly sell me one as well? I can PP F&F the $ to you.

• Like 1