IGNORED

Atari 400/800 - The Chip Disk Backup/Developmet System by Spartan

elkingkong

This was how I copied Alternate Reality, and actually sent a copy to Richard Adams. Told him I only used the Happy Archiver. Probably took him all of 6 minutes to figure out the rest. Oh, my were those days great!

That's a great story, and very informative! Did you ever hear back from him? I'm guessing not.

• 1 year later...

Thanks guys , I just added a second phone line to my account it will only cost me $18.00 Canadian a month for it and that guarantees that the BBS will be up 24/7, top it all of I have a multiplexer on order, so I might go multi line ... , i found out that i use my first line too much... as my cell phone died. Anyways I will try those codes but I am sure it will not work with my speedy.

The Archiver open code is not exactly a password for privacy purposes. The purpose was to defend against nasty software copy protections that might attempt to detect a custom drive and refuse to run intentionally.

Each original Chip/Archiver came with a different open code that was provided by the manufacturer. But non original EPROMS, not being a boxed product, usually came with such an obvious open code intentionally. There is nothing wrong with that unless somebody will write modern software that would attack such an Archiver open code.

Edited by ijor

I learned in a prior thread where I dumped an 810 archiver ROM that the 'open code' is determined by the first two bytes of the ROM dump: 

An open code of "1234" would mean the first two bytes of the ROM dump would be $34 then $12 (reversed). So, it would have been trivial for someone cloning the Archiver to modify the two bytes to something easy to remember, which would also help hide the source of the original ROM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1