IGNORED

Alien Final Version

GadgetUK

21 hours ago, GadgetUK said:

Thanks, there's an updated version coming soon - I did a couple of streams talking about some of the changes last week.  I just want to see what else I can optimize and see what additional space is left of other tweaks.

Have you considered reskinning the game, to be able to release it "officially" (and physically)?

3 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Have you considered reskinning the game, to be able to release it "officially" (and physically)?

Would you play for instance a Star Wars or a Batman game with every character replaced by a generic one? I wouldn't, but maybe it's just me. Unfortunately, sometimes part of the "fun" is in the license, or at least the lore imho.

I'm gonna quote CJ from another topic: "it doesn't matter as long as the game is fun" ;)

And yes obviously the Aliens intro screen makes its little effect, especially because @GadgetUK did an awesome job on that one. But apart from that you could do almost the exact same game with an almost identical context by just rebranding it. Think the Alien Breed games for instance, it's a clear ripoff from Aliens (the second movie) and it just works fine, and even created a mini legacy of its own :)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

I admit Alien may not be as specific as Star Wars and Batman. But Alien Breed was based on the second movie, which is more action oriented anyway. Of course, you can replace the cat by a dog, but it's not like Disney has some kind of patent on the general story of Alien. As long as you don't use copyrighted material (logo, pictures, etc.), you can easily make a game strongly inspired like this one:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1.03 - Too many fixes to list, lots of small tweaks, cosmetic tweaks a few extra screens added.  "How to Play" added, computer room stuff too, as well as a screen that appears when a character dies.  Lots and lots of optimisation and changes for performance and memory usage etc.  I suspect 1.04 may be the final release - some more stuff I want to try and fit in there if I can juggle things around and optimise more.

If you play this and spot any bug, please let me know!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8rnvne93rl4l4k/Alien 1.03.zip?dl=0

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, JagChris said:

Did you catch the noisy pause 'bug' while using a character with the motion detector?

Thanks!  I will check that in a sec =D

If anyone is interested in a bit about the dev of this, there are 3 short streams where I talked about and tested the changes in the 1.03 (above).

• Like 3

It seems hard to find testers for this lol!  Just to re-itterate, 1.03 is linked above.

I've fixed a few more bugs in 1.04 that I am working on, and just added in an "alien blasted out of the airlock" ending screen.  Once I've done a bit more tidying up on 1.04 and had some feedback on 1.03 I will push out what I think we be the final one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GadgetUK said:

It seems hard to find testers for this lol!  Just to re-itterate, 1.03 is linked above.

I've fixed a few more bugs in 1.04 that I am working on, and just added in an "alien blasted out of the airlock" ending screen.  Once I've done a bit more tidying up on 1.04 and had some feedback on 1.03 I will push out what I think we be the final one.

I will give it a try this weekend. Play the original release quite a bit back in the days. But in any case it's fantastic to see you updating the game what, 6-7 years after its release!

Have you considered a reskinned version, let's call it "Elian" to be able to make a physical release?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LordKraken said:

I will give it a try this weekend. Play the original release quite a bit back in the days. But in any case it's fantastic to see you updating the game what, 6-7 years after its release!

Have you considered a reskinned version, let's call it "Elian" to be able to make a physical release?

Thanks!  I am not bothered about releasing a cart version - plenty of SD cart solutions for the Lynx now!

EDIT: You can see the changes in 1.04 here:-

Edited by GadgetUK
Better than additional post
  • Like 1

Will work on this tonight. Be patient. Lot of options to try out. Easy, medium and hard etc. Classic and enhanced. Give us a month.

A suggestion. Maybe make battle scenes a little more expressive. There's no feedback when attacking/attacked. Kinda a faith based system that things are happening. Maybe Alien can flash when taking damage or something.

GO GO GADGET CODER!

Edited by JagChris

8 hours ago, JagChris said:

Will work on this tonight. Be patient. Lot of options to try out. Easy, medium and hard etc. Classic and enhanced. Give us a month.

A suggestion. Maybe make battle scenes a little more expressive. There's no feedback when attacking/attacked. Kinda a faith based system that things are happening. Maybe Alien can flash when taking damage or something.

GO GO GADGET CODER!

Thanks, yes - need something there!  I added the alien death sample, and it being blasted ouf of the airlock, and fixed some more bugs (in 1.04).  Will see what I can do to show damage on the alien and crew.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 3:42 AM, JagChris said:

Have you thought about getting ahold of the original coder? See what he thinks of your homage?

I did but could not find anything recent about him regards if he's still around or contactable.

I've done a lot more changes, including a hit indicator so you can see when characters get hit, or the alien / android.  Lots of performance improvements, several bugs fixed.  I will push v1.04 out once I've done a few more bits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2022 at 4:17 AM, JagChris said:

Pause audio issue while on character using motion sensor still at large

Thanks!  I had fixed it previously, but I notice just looking at code for 1.03 I re-introduced it lol.

I've just fixed it again in the 1.04 build (that will go up soon).  Lots and lots of changes in v1.04.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a fun game to play. One of the reasons is you can play it while watching a show or listening to a podcast. it's not fast pace and need your unidivided attention every moment.

So what I have noticed when being attacked by the alien against 2 or more members of the party pressing right doesn't always cycle through to the next person in the same attack with the Alien and I have to go left on the controls. Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know if this is because of how the game works or if it is a bug that is not reading things right from time to time.

Also is this scoring correct? I do better than this, actually beat the Alien and I get a D. 

IMG_20220611_134001.jpg

Edited by JagChris
Added info
  • Like 1

I've updated the game info page, including the ROM here - https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game/Alien/127667786

Maybe with it being playable in the browser now will get more people trying it out...

I really like the enhanced graphics, though in terms of gameplay - I am so terrible at this kind of game, I have no idea what I'm doing and my characters just end up dead ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

I never knew Alison, but my condolences to her family and friends.

BTW - is it possible for someone to upload a gameplay video of Alien? I’m really curious to see it in action.

Thank you in advance!

Just give it a try.

It's basically a board game ran by the Lynx

• Like 1

When cycling through the characters if I stop at 1 and then tell them to move to a new room and when it tells me it's moving then I hit left to cycle to another character it stops what it was doing. Which I mean it stops moving the previous character. So if I don't stay on the character and move to another character before move is finished it will not follow through with the initiated move.

Thoughts. I don't think in general the motion sensor is very useful overall except when you're near the airlocks so in the future I think I'm going to take any motion sensors I get and just drop them by the airlock control so it's there when I need them.