IGNORED

Games that "suck" but you like anyway

sku_u

It's like that quart of milk you find waaaay in the back of the refrigerator. You can't recall how long ago you bought it. The design on the carton is unlike anything in recent memory. You can't make out the expiration date because the print is obliterated by fuzzy blotches of black and green.

It defies all conceivable logic, but you can't help yourself. You have to smell it. Your brain screams at you, "Pour it down the toilet. Flush and run!!" Yet forces occult inexorably draws your arm noseward. You whif.

Your neck snaps backward like a whip. Tears flood into your eyes. The room dims then spins upward, smacking you squarely on the chin. An hour later, the tickle of maggots jolts you back to the world of the living. Bloated worms are feeding on the slurry that speckles your face and hangs in fleshy ropes, tying you to the crawling puddle on the kitchen floor. Again. You can't believe this has happened again!

Scanning through the cartridges of my collection, I spot a label waaaay in the back of the cabinet. I can't recall how long it's been since I've played Skeet Shoot, but an occult force draws my hand inexorably towards it. My brain screams at me, "Throw it down the toilet. Flush and run! Flush and RUN!!" But I'm powerless to help myself. Maggots which are not there but are there squirm across my field of vision as I grab the fecal brown cartridge and aim it into the gaping maw of my VCS. I blink, I wince and I rub my eyes as if these measures might somehow vanish the wriggling invaders. As if a thimbleful of long soured milk might somehow smother an erupting volcano tapped directly into the boiling fury of hell.

It couldn't POSSIBLY stink as bad as I remember it does, can it?! No! It just isn't possible. Squinting so hard I'm almost blind, my trembling fingers reach out to my console to flip the ON switch. Skeet Shoot lights up the screen. My neck snaps back like a whip, but too late. Fleshy ropes of putrified milk vibrating with feeding, bloated maggots, leap from the screen and splat onto the surface of my eyeballs. I reel backward in agony as the fetid stench of the game overwhelms me. The room dims rapidly, spinning upward to lay me flat. Again. I come to an hour later. Mercifully, the power cord was kicked free from the console when I fell.

I hold a rag over my mouth and pinch my nose tight as I shove my copy of Skeet Shoot back to the deepest, darkest corner of the cabinet. A raven lands on the window sil, and I spy him as I withdraw my trembling hand. "Nevermore!" I caw at him. "Nevermore!"

Again.

Ben

wow... I'm gonna download skeet shoot right now!

but of course.. I'm the guy that, as a joke, recomended peanut butter captain crunch and bailies as a bloody mary replacement for a breakfast drink..

and go figure..it turns into a Richmond cult classic...

Imagine.. a bowl of peanut butter captain crunch, and instead of milk,...Bailys..

sick and twisted.. but.. its kinda tastes like reeses peanut butter cup :)

hey..people actually pay $10 a pop for it..

Hmm....games that suck, but I play anyways?

Pac-Man. I don't know why, It's sure not the Arcade by any stretch. But hey....I still regularly play it. (On game 6 or so, it's not so bad, most the other settings are to slow)

CocoNuts. Another I don't know why. It's nothing but a fairly poorly assembled game of move left and right and try to avoid being smacked in the head by the coconuts as the monkey throws them. It's actually not to bad as a two player game.

Zaxxon. Hit detection of anything that's not on the ground seems to be way off, but I manage to squeeze buy a few levels befor the finger uncontrollably slamms the power button. Why oh why do I keep going back to this pile of crap? Probably because it's still a decent attempt at a third person NON SIDE SCROLLING shooting game.

Lots of "terrible" games listed here :D however the one that I played a lot when I was younger isn't listed by anyone:

Data Age's Sssnake

It's amusing to roll the score muliple times and see how long it takes until you screw up and get killed.

Wel, it was fun for me, anyway :ponder:

CocoNuts.  Another I don't know why.  It's nothing but a fairly poorly assembled game of move left and right and try to avoid being smacked in the head by the coconuts as the monkey throws them.  It's actually not to bad as a two player game.

Yeah, but that game was designed for little kids, though.

But it's nice to see one third of the Telesys library mentioned here though!

but of course.. I'm the guy that, as a joke, recomended peanut butter captain crunch and bailies as a bloody mary replacement for a breakfast drink.. and go figure..it turns into a Richmond cult classic...  Imagine.. a bowl of peanut butter captain crunch, and instead of milk,...Bailys.. sick and twisted.. but.. its kinda tastes like reeses peanut butter cup :)  hey..people actually pay $10 a pop for it..

Wow! That's alot of sugar and a strong liquor! That would jolt me awake in the morning! So what do people call this concoction?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Ben - have you ever read Ken Uston's review of Skeet Shoot? He figured out the patterns, and tells you how to skunk your opponent every game. Since I don't own the game, I've never tried it, but if you want me to fill you in, I'll go look it up again.

Nope. I never heard of the review, but the the name Ken Uston rings a bell. Is he the same Ken Uston who figured out all the patterns to Blackjack?

Anyway, yeah. I'd love to read Ken's review of Skeet Shoot if you can easily find it. Not becasue I'm anxious to employ his techniques, but to marvel at the sheer insanity of a man with the internal fortitude to endure the game as long as he must have in order to cook the game. It should be great reading!

Thanks in advance,

Ben