IGNORED

Tunnels of Doom alternate cover manual

adamantyr

Curious on this one...

As we all know, Texas Instruments often had two cover variations for their different cartridges. One was a simple background with pixel-based art directly from the cartridge itself, the other a more photo-realsitic image. I'm certain that the latter is a re-release from 1982 thereabouts to increase visibility.

Example with Munch-Man:

post-17978-0-37969600-1411669877_thumb.jpgpost-17978-0-26534900-1411669868_thumb.jpg

So, with Tunnels of Doom, I've only ever seen the first one. BUT... in an early TexComp catalog, they had a black-and-white trashy-looking photocopy ad for Tunnels of Doom that had what looked like the SECOND cover style, with a party of adventurers and fantasy style artwork. At least, it KIND of looked like that... the quality of the ad was very poor to say the least.

Here's a clip of it from the 1988 TexComp catalog:

post-17978-0-12591200-1411673297_thumb.png

Has anyone ever seen this alternate cover, or attempted to verify if it was ever actually released? My suspicion is that it was a mock-up that was planned but dropped when the entire TI-99/4a product line was ceased in late 1983. The TexComp owner may have just had a press release ad he copied it from for the catalog. Or maybe the TexComp guy created the artwork himself, but I'm not sure why he'd do that?

Adamantyr

Edited by adamantyr
  • Like 1

The 'Cyc' has a B/W picture of the new cover that came from a TI Ad kit and a small, poor quality, color picture that came from a brochure TI put out. My guess is that it was never published.

post-28093-0-88029700-1411677860_thumb.jpg

post-28093-0-52705800-1411677938.jpg

Please be advised that since it's from the 'Cyc' it is copyrighted material.....etc....etc....

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 3

The 'Cyc' has a B/W picture of the new cover that came from a TI Ad kit and a small, poor quality, color picture that came from a brochure TI put out. My guess is that it was never published.

attachicon.gifphm3042.jpg

attachicon.gifphm3042-a.jpg

Please be advised that since it's from the 'Cyc' it is copyrighted material.....etc....etc....

Very cool! I need to look on my Cyc disc for that...

It definitely looks like a planned cover that never made it to production... otherwise we'd see one or two about. The artwork is okay, the monster looks a little too "Alien" inspired for my taste.

Adamantyr

Very cool! I need to look on my Cyc disc for that...

It definitely looks like a planned cover that never made it to production... otherwise we'd see one or two about. The artwork is okay, the monster looks a little too "Alien" inspired for my taste.

Adamantyr

My thought too. When I looked at it I thought, 'hey, they ripped off Alien.'