IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar 2.1.2 released!

Shamus

• 2 months later...

Hi,

i tried to build the virtual jaguar from git clone for my Beaglebone Black. After some problems with compile and a hack on EJag Fest i now tried to search for the clean solution.

The INSTALL file said, i need QT >= 4.7.3 but not QT5.

This is not right. With the help of google i found, the include files will only work for QT5 but not for QT4. The same with the class for file locations. I changed the include statements to allow to compile the source with QT4 and with QT5. The output with the diffs from git are attached. If someone will give me access to the repository, i can commit my changes.

There is also a problem with QtOpenGL on my system. It seems, it support only OpenGLES. OpenGL was also present on my system. If i changed the Makefile (define for include and lib gl instead of gles i can compile and link the code. But i did not know if this will work. A test did not show any output. My knowledge of QT and OpenGL is very limited (nearly 0). But if someone will help me, i can try to change the code to suport also OpenGLES.

Best regards

Michael

Well, the doco is slightly out-of-date. :P If you're building from GIT sources, you will need Qt5 as you discovered. ;)

I don't know if Qt supports GLES; I would be quite surprised if it didn't as it's meant to work on tablets and phones now. Virtual Jaguar's use of OpenGL is quite minimal and I would suspect that supporting GLES would require nothing more than fixing some definitions inside the virtualjaguar.pro file. If I get a chance I'll look into it to see what's required.

Hi Shamus,

Well, the doco is slightly out-of-date. :P If you're building from GIT sources, you will need Qt5 as you discovered. ;)

But it compiles with my changes also with Qt4. Does it really need Qt5? I had to change only the include files, Qt4 needs other include files (found with help from google). And there are one file which uses the standard paths of the applications which should also be changed.

I don't know if Qt supports GLES; I would be quite surprised if it didn't as it's meant to work on tablets and phones now. Virtual Jaguar's use of OpenGL is quite minimal and I would suspect that supporting GLES would require nothing more than fixing some definitions inside the virtualjaguar.pro file. If I get a chance I'll look into it to see what's required.

I used the help of google and it found, Qt supports also GLES. It seems, my repeository has a Qt with GLES support instead of GL. Maybe this is because my device is a ARM based SBC and more like a embedded system than a powerfull PC.

I am afraid it needs more than fixing some definitions in the .pro file. There are functions like glBegin and glEnd not declared. A short google seaqrch indicated, that drawing vertexes must be made with a different approach than currently present in virtualjaguar. Sadly i have not knowledge with GL and GLES (and qT), so i did not try to modify the source. If you would like to solve this problem, i can try to help you with my limizted knowlwdge about GUI development.

Best regards

Michael

Yes, it really needs Qt5 since we (and the Qt developers) are leaving Qt4 behind. I've already converted all of my projects over to Qt5, and it was really easy--especially when compared to the clusterf**k that was the Qt3 to Qt4 conversion. :P

It's a bit of a shame that GLES isn't just a one-line change in the .pro file, but it isn't a disaster. It would be fairly simple to add a GLES renderer in the GUI and some #defines to control compilation. I do have a RPi kicking around, so maybe I'll have a chance to do some testing there.

If you (or anyone!) want to write a patch to support GLES, feel free, and I'll make sure it gets supported by VJ. :)

Hi,

It's a bit of a shame that GLES isn't just a one-line change in the .pro file, but it isn't a disaster. It would be fairly simple to add a GLES renderer in the GUI and some #defines to control compilation. I do have a RPi kicking around, so maybe I'll have a chance to do some testing there.

Fine. I expect a nice small paltform for Virtiual Jaguar.

If you (or anyone!) want to write a patch to support GLES, feel free, and I'll make sure it gets supported by VJ. :)

I did not have any knowledge about QT and OpenGL. I write software at work for embedded system which dont have a GUI. Otherwise i would have published a pacth with my question. But so i had to wait for someone with mor knowledge.

Best regards

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shamus doesn't seem to have ever mentioned it (not even to his mates!) but I was stalk^H^H^H^H^H researching some Jaguar stuff last night when this Edge Online article showed up. It kicks off with Shamus, VJ and Rayman and goes on to discuss the VB and other hardware that maybe never really lived but refuses to die. It's not all 100% factually correct, these things rarely are, but it's well written and quite an enjoyable read (I haven't read much beyond the Jaguar stuf, tbh!).

post-25413-0-23684300-1423850004_thumb.png

• Like 5

How do you get Virtual Jaguar to recognize a USB joypad? I've searched and searched for this information and saw one place where it mentioned telling it what virtual controller port you wanted it to use, but there was no mention how to do this.

All I get in the controller configuration is mapping it to my keyboard. There's no mention of how to change to a different controller.

• 8 months later...

Hello. Iam just a guy who want to play Jaguar Games.

I tried with Virtual Jaguar but it doesn't work properly on my computer.

Maybe you can help me.

Some Games work but very, very slowly in PAL and to fast in NTCS mode:

Zool2
Zero5
AvP
Raiden
Chekered Flag
PitFall
Rayman
Trevor McFur
Val d'isère
Atari Karts
Defender 2000
Tempest 2000
I-War

Some games access to main menu but crash when I start to play

Doom
Skyhammer (ce lance mais au bout de quelques secondes fige)
Ultra Vortek

Some access to main menu but stay on black screen when I start to play

BatlleSphere
BattleSphere Gold
Super Burnout
Iron Soldier
Iron Soldier 2
Power Drive Rally

Some simply doesn't work

Attack of the Mutant Piguins
Brutal Sports Football
CyberMorph (Rev1)

I try Virtual Jaguar on another computer with an another download link and I have the same results.

Maybe there is something I don't know.

Sorry for my poor English and thank you very much for answers.

Sorry if the information is listed somewhere about this question but what are the keyboard commands when you select the option to boot VJ in full screen mode? It's stuck of course on the static filled screen and I'm not sure how to disable full screen or do anything else. This is the first time I've messed with VJ and so far it's awesome. I've used the Project Tempest emulator for a few years just to play T2K and Zool 2.

Thanks

Edited by soulmeister