IGNORED

Virtual Jaguar 2.1.2 released!

Shamus

Not sure what you mean by 'fit the screen', every game did its own thing with regards to screen size and borders and there is no standard. If you're talking about the black borders on the sides (that's most evident with wide monitors), those are there because otherwise, the aspect ratio would be wrong. I know some people like this kind of display (strange, strange people), but it's *wrong* and it doesn't look good. Televisions of the Jaguar era were 4:3 (at least NTSC televisions were, PAL was slightly more square), and that just looks bad stretched out to 16:9 (or wider).

• Like 1

I was talking about what CJ said. Is there a way other than hitting th F9 key to fix this? Shouldn't it scale back out?

Also since you mentioned adjustable aspect ratio, is that something you may implement in the future?

I understand that you personally dont like upscaled aspect ratios, however other people may want that as an option.

I currently have my Jaguar plugged into a 4k tv and the tv automatically upscales it to 16:9 and although i do understand what you are talking about the graphics do not appear stretched or distorted it looks great. It doesn't matter to me either way but again as I said others may want that as an option.

I suppose since the rendering backend is OpenGL now, there's no reason for it not to scale to random window sizes—though it would still preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio. I'll probably still keep the x1/x2/x3 buttons as 'shortcuts' to get the screen to a 'standard' size though.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hey Shamus, thanks for posting that. I was playing with the IrataJaguar on the Android and figure I would try out a more seasoned Jag emulator on the Mac.

So far I have unpacked the file you provided, which got me this...

post-4709-0-52149400-1507949575.png

And currently I am trying to find where the cartridge directory should be (and Bios image?)

At the moment I am getting this though I have put a rom file in all the provided directories

post-4709-0-96166000-1507949584.png

Naturally any help appreciated from Shamus or anyone.

• Like 2

Hey Shamus, thanks for posting that. I was playing with the IrataJaguar on the Android and figure I would try out a more seasoned Jag emulator on the Mac.

So far I have unpacked the file you provided, which got me this...

And currently I am trying to find where the cartridge directory should be (and Bios image?)

At the moment I am getting this though I have put a rom file in all the provided directories

Naturally any help appreciated from Shamus or anyone.

Check this post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247783-virtual-jaguar-for-mac-need-for-qt-4-help-help/page-2#entry3430626

I had the exact same issue when I ran VJ on my Mac. This will get you sorted.

• Like 1

2.7 ghz (core intel i5) ran much smoother in the Bubsy gameplay. Intro was a bit choppy, but then I suspect there is lot being loaded in at that point.

Couldn't get a bluetooth controller to map. Was that possible with the 2.1.0 revision of Virtual Jaguar?

That's the only Jag controller connector on the market (that I know of.) I bought 4 of them directly from Raphnet's site back then. Looks more expensive in this auction. Shipping too, but I don't remember the details of the purchase. I've used a PS2 controller in the past. Minus all the number keys it works great :)

This looks interesting. Bought one to give a try.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This looks interesting. Bought one to give a try.

Got it in the mail today annnndd... no Mac support. (And I'll be honest I didn't check ahead of time.)

So Mac users buyer beware.

Fun $20 experiment. May tinker with it more later. Next...

Edited by doctorclu

Mapping controllers so far is unresponsive. At least it was with Bluetooth controllers.

But I'll dig out another USB controller and see if I have any more luck. There was a game enhancer mod I used to use for USB controllers and the Lynx emulator. Might check and see if that is still a thing.

• 2 years later...
On 10/26/2017 at 9:25 AM, doctorclu said:

Mapping controllers so far is unresponsive. At least it was with Bluetooth controllers.

But I'll dig out another USB controller and see if I have any more luck. There was a game enhancer mod I used to use for USB controllers and the Lynx emulator. Might check and see if that is still a thing.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:34 PM, Zerosquare said:

Do other USB controllers work with VJ on your machine?

Mapping worked perfectly for my Retroflag SNES-model USB controller. Its the only USB controller Ive never had any compatibility issues with, Ive also been using it a lot for about a year with no signs of wear while tons of crappy USB controllers have broken on me after a month or two. One once shattered in my hands from my grip. 

• Like 1