IGNORED

A wish list of games/projects you like to see running....

The coder for the rumored 7800 version of Paperboy turned up some months ago: 7800 Paperboy. But apparently he wasn't able to locate any of the related materials after searching through his stored 7800 hardware and software. Too bad as the sources could have been useful for a version on the 8-bits.

Edited by MrFish

Just to finish this up (for this thread). I searched it via google image search.

Did it again and found this (strange google URL on purpose):

It clearly states "C64" in multiple places.

You don't know what can clearly been stated in the internet, which is not true ;)

A viable source for C64 images is lemon64.

TBH I haven't bothered to do a 2nd search although I noticed the colors were way off of the normal C64 palette.

That's the problem. You see clearly colours , just as the "golden Yellow" the C64 never had. And you have just 16 colours.

Rastaconverter has been build for importing "real colour" images, but it still has problems to adjust the colour values in those low colourcount indexed pictures.

The best result will be reached , if the image gets the real values of the used palette and the fitting resolution, before the conversion is done.

But, particular the Paperboy title works well with the picture from "Lemon64" ... no dither needed.

If it will turn out OK or if I start another conversion: posts will be in the RC thread. ;)

I'll post again here when I played "Paperboy" and made up my mind on the gameplay ;)

Well, that's also a point. Games Conversions mostly struggle by faulty informations BEFORE the conversion starts. That's why many conversion will get never finished.

And, btw. Thanks for your special example.

I found the original arcade version ate my quarters faster than it deserved. Always seemed to be too hard. It was like everything made the delivery boy crash. I know other people who loved the game to death.

The video of the NES version has to be using a hack that disables collisions or the game is just plain stupid easy on the NES for some reason.

It is incredibly easy - I tried a physical cartridge in a real NES and it's just like that.

Although they do say the hardest version is the C64 conversion, which may have skewed my impression of how the game should be.

It clearly states "C64" in multiple places. TBH I haven't bothered to do a 2nd search although I noticed the colors were way off of the normal C64 palette.

If it will turn out OK or if I start another conversion: posts will be in the RC thread. ;)

I'll post again here when I played "Paperboy" and made up my mind on the gameplay ;)

One thing you can do, is get a program called ConGo, which will take that picture, and convert it into a standard C=64 koalapad file with the right colors. You can then export it to a standard format like JPG or whatever. It's what I have been using for my C=64 koalapad to PCIN converter. I might have a go at the picture myself and see what results I can get out of it in the PCIN mode.

http://www.editorix.org/congo/congo5full.exe

OK, here's a rough PCIN conversion, from the C=64 title screen. I did a straight G2F conversion instead of using my C=64 viewer, because this was an FLI. I think this one did real well, with only a bit of flicker visible on the house front and on the sun. These colors were optimized for NTSC. PAL systems will display the colors (and especially the combined grey on the road and clouds) one step out of phase.

post-23798-0-23612800-1422770389_thumb.png paperboy-pcin.obx

Edited by Synthpopalooza

OK, here you go: Easy matter of swapping Antic 4 BAK/PM0 and PF0 (which is now the sky in this render) ...

post-23798-0-45446800-1422774762_thumb.png paperboy-pcin.obx

Here is the source .asm file plus the needed .fnt and .scr files:

paperboy-pcin.zip

Only drawback is, you get an artifact on the last pixel column, this is because of the mode 12 HSCROL shift needed to line the mode 12 pixels up with mode 10 (the HIP bug) ... maybe PM0 or M0 can be used to cover this up, as it will be the BG color (black) anyway.

***EDIT: This post now has the correct .obx file, sorry.

Edited by Synthpopalooza

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised that nobody ever had a go at a vertically scrolling version with a birds eye viewpoint. It'd probably make it a lot easier to code and to conceptualise.

Not all so-called bird's eye view is most appealing - and I think that in Paperboy - that was probably the best viewpoint/angle to use - allowing nice graphics to be used, as such.

Whereas the viewpoint as in Speedway Rally doesn't lend itself to nice graphics possible.

When you think about vertical scrollers that use a top view as such - all you see, would be roofs, paths, roads - and the tops of peoples' heads - sideview is a bit more interesting - but one dimensional - whereas isometric allows the third dimension to be present...

Perhaps game design - is also about whether you want to be original or not? To be bold enough to try for new game ideas, or rather not copying something done already - but trying for a new/different sort of game - that's probably not done before?

By starting with some kind of premise - initial concept - and then slowly adding more and more elements to it - until it starts evolving into a game as such. The downside to this - is that you may well end up with something that may not work at all.

Whereas if you start with the idea of cloning/copying an existing game concept - all the hard work has been done already - and it's a tried and tested concept that already works. The downside is that it's been done before (maybe to ad nauseum) - and so to keep peoples' interest in it, you still need to add some new twist/touch/etc to it, that is your own - that could make it look interesting and fresh... and a viable, playable game as such.

Harvey

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a video of a new level from GTIABlast! - which illustrates the kind of comments I've been making here. This is to show continued development of this particular project

While it does look like a Zaxxon game - it really isn't - as collision detection with the landscape will not be enabled - but it does show what you can do with the Zaxxon look - when you do not stick with the original version, but allow yourself to experiment with it - also to use the hardware of the target system you are using..

Harvey

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

"Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" and the whole series maybe.

This would be a cool game to port to the A8. I remember playing this on my friend's Apple ][+ back in the '80s and wondered why there wasn't an Atari port.

If not a straight port, a game that works similar to this would be nice too.

I still would like to see an Atari8 reproduction of the original Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. I played the CGA MS-DOS version. There was also (according to Wikipedia) an Apple2 version. The MS-DOS version uses the PC Speaker to beep out its sounds, and the Apple must only be worse. The sound could be greatly improved on the A8, as well as the number of colors. Possibly joystick / mouse point and click (with context controls)???

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisure_Suit_Larry_in_the_Land_of_the_Lounge_Lizards

Edit: I see it was being discussed here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/102953-agi-interpreter-doing-16-colors-at-160x200/

but the thread just dried up...

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 2

It is not surprising to see that some projects dry up -without really getting started, and others have yet to hit the home straight in getting finished...

It is a lot of work - even with conversions - and it is very surprising that some projects got finished at all, eg. Space Harrier.

And life gets in the way - with people just busy with other things.

Harvey

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While Prince of Persia and Rick Dangerous are platform games - and it is good to see these being worked or nearly completed for the A8 hardware - I still feel that there is yet to be a fun platform game - since the likes of Miner 2049'er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back. Mr Robot (and other such games) did not appeal to me - because of their quirky graphics.

Crownland almost pulled it off - since I felt it was only on the control side it could have fared better?

I am not the biggest fan of platform games - but the one game to most emulate (ie. copy/learn from) would be Super MarioWorld for the SNES. This takes Mario into weird and wonderful worlds/situations/etc.

As too with Super Metroid, and the Megaman games - if you wanted to go towards those gaming formats - which the Turrican games copied (ie. Metroid) being simplified versions of.

It is a lot of work to work on any project - that spells out quality - but if you are driven by your desire/dream(s) - it is possible for it to come true eventually.

Harvey

I'm not sure if these have been mentioned earlier as I haven't read every post, but I think a sequel to FLIP N FLOP would be great, NECROMANCER and MASTER OF THE LAMPS would be good too. There is also a modification I would like to see to 1 game, but I won't mention it yet as it is in my list of "TO DO" things, in time....