IGNORED

Help with Dreamcast VGA to HDMI please

DoctorTom

This is what you want: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=6191&seq=1&format=2

You will obviously need a VGA box as well that runs into the converter box. Technically it's just a converter, not an upscaler. It will still display at 640x480, but it will look way better on your flat panel TV than with composite or S-Video. With 2D games in particular you will be able to see the pixels and they look nice.

The xRGB Mini is great, but way too expensive for most peoples' needs. That's for the hardcore/enthusiast crowd only.

Only issue with the Dreamcast's VGA out though is that some games won't work with it, even with the alternate workaround available. Can be a bummer when you go to play your favorite game and it says it won't work with the video setup. Still, it's great for the games that do work with it (which is a majority of the Dreamcast's library).

• 1 month later...

And following on this, someone please break it down for me really simplistically if possible.

I already have a VGA adapter that makes my DC look really really nice. But I'd love to go HDMI / 720p or eventually if I get a TV that does 1080p, that.

I would need how many other adapters and what kind? Or just a simple VGA to HDMI powered adapter?

And yeah, that Framemeister looks sweet, but I was hoping to get something really nice for well under $400.

And following on this, someone please break it down for me really simplistically if possible.

I already have a VGA adapter that makes my DC look really really nice. But I'd love to go HDMI / 720p or eventually if I get a TV that does 1080p, that.

I would need how many other adapters and what kind? Or just a simple VGA to HDMI powered adapter?

And yeah, that Framemeister looks sweet, but I was hoping to get something really nice for well under $400.

Just use the VGA box you have, if the new TV accepts it. DC VGA looks great on my 1080p 42" set.

HD Retrovision is planning a component cable.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/future-products/

It will also resolve the need to revert back to S-Video or composite for games that don't support 480p.

By surpassing their Kickstarter goal of $25,000 by $15,000 (They're creating component cables for the SuperNes and Genesis that converts their native RGB output to YPbPr), hopefully that helps ensure that their Dreamcast plans come to fruition.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Reasonable advice, but most of the new TVs I am interested in don't have VGA anymore, and I do want to play DC on whatever I end up with.

I was thinking about the VGA to HDMI converter boxes at Monoprice, but don't know enough about things like scanlines etc, and/or if that would look any good.

Those will work but they are just converter boxes, not upscalers. Not all DC games will work either so it's best to find a compatibility list and see if your games will work. Visually what I found is for the most part 3D games still look pretty bad (it's a 640X480 signal on a big screen meant for 1080p), while 2D games look pretty good (you can see the pixels fairly clean--nice and blocky). Of course, results will vary depending on the game. Crazy Taxi still looked pretty decent, but Shenmue looked pretty bad.