IGNORED

Need advice for putting MAME on new Mac

FlightSuit

Hi,

On my old Mac, I've got MAME OS X version 0.135 and the entire 32GB ROM set that was current a few years ago. I was glad to be able to find the whole ROM set in one place, because finally various obscure games that I wanted to play, such as Dazzler and Logger, actually worked.

Well, now I've got a Mac running OS X Mavericks, and I'd like to put MAME on it. I see that, apparently, the latest version of MAME OS X is still 0.135:

http://mameosx.sourceforge.net

Therefore, should I simply install that and transfer my 32GB ROM folder over to the new machine and not worry about any new developments that have occurred in recent years?

Or is there a newer, better MAME I should be using, along with a newer, better ROM set?

Your advice is much appreciated!

look through the whats new and changelog files

Where, exactly? Should I check them for MAME itself? I know MAME OS X is basically just a MAME front end, but if I install MAME OS X, which hasn't been updated since 2009, does that mean I don't get a version of MAME which is newer than that?

I really like the idea of not having to deal with the command line interface, so a front end is much preferred.

Or are we talking about a change log file for the ROM set itself? If so, are people here allowed to post its download location, or is that against the rules? Last time, I recall getting the full 32GB collection from a bit torrent site that was just exclusively devoted to MAME, but I suspect somebody had to PM me the address, 'cause stuff that violates copyright is not posted here publicly.

(Please note that I am not asking anybody to violate copyright here!)

Where, exactly? Should I check them for MAME itself? I know MAME OS X is basically just a MAME front end, but if I install MAME OS X, which hasn't been updated since 2009, does that mean I don't get a version of MAME which is newer than that?

I really like the idea of not having to deal with the command line interface, so a front end is much preferred.

Actually MAME OS X just has a very basic frontend. QMC2 you can use QMC2 I think as a front end. For me there's is one good reason to keep using it. MAME OS X just takes much better screenshots than SDLMAME.