IGNORED

Kool-Aid Man Completed in 7 Minutes

Eric7100

i'm one of the few that actually liked this game when it came out....i went to the local Osco store and behind the checkout clerk they kept the Intellivision games and i noticed a new game Kool Aid Man for $19.99 and i thought whoa a new game that cheap! lol and bought it and actually had a good time with it

I don't recall the game ever ending and I have achieved scores in excess of 4 million points. I recall it just being very repetitive and easy once you got the hang of it.

Hey, thanks, Troy. So it just keeps going forever, then.

There are a few beatable Intellivision games, 3 or 4 by Imagic but not many by Mattel or the other companies that made games.

Mostly high score based with continuous levels, or sports games. Very good question, you have me thinking about it and that says a lot! :P

Thanks! I started a thread about this a while back, actually, and then cparsley started his own with a somewhat different methodology. There's a whole continuum of "beatability", IMHO.

There are a small number of unambiguously beatable games, like AD&D Cloudy Mountain, Space Battle, Stonix, and Vectron. All of those have a clear end point, whether or not they have difficulty levels.

Swords & Serpents doesn't have a proper ending since the final boss fight wasn't implemented, but it's supposed to be "beaten" when you get to the dragon and find the BPD initials. I think most of us would agree that beating the CPU in sports games is also beating the game (though some would argue it should be beaten on the hardest settings to count).

Then you have games like Tower of Doom, which are definitely winnable but have a bunch of different scenarios and ways to approach them. Or Reversi, which has multiple difficulty levels and board sizes.

The next tier down are games that have an ending, but it's not clear what the win condition should be. Many of those are timed games. For instance, Skiing always ends, but it also specifies in the manual that "a downhill time under 38, or a slalom time under 105" is a Gold Medal performance. Should that be the threshold for "beating" the game? Probably. Or take Auto Racing: you can finish all the races, but what constitutes a victory?

Even Pitfall, which absolutely has an ending (though it just freezes), is tricky to assess. Do you need to get a perfect score, or just get all the treasures? I'd say a perfect score, but others would say finding all the treasures within the time limit is enough (and that's certainly not easy to do).

Finally, there are a couple of games with kill screens, deliberate or accidental. Atlantis can't be played past Day 12 because of a bug, and I'm guessing River Raid freezes at 1 million points like the Atari version.

Hey, thanks, Troy. So it just keeps going forever, then.

Thanks! I started a thread about this a while back, actually, and then cparsley started his own with a somewhat different methodology. There's a whole continuum of "beatability", IMHO.

There are a small number of unambiguously beatable games, like AD&D Cloudy Mountain, Space Battle, Stonix, and Vectron. All of those have a clear end point, whether or not they have difficulty levels.

Swords & Serpents doesn't have a proper ending since the final boss fight wasn't implemented, but it's supposed to be "beaten" when you get to the dragon and find the BPD initials. I think most of us would agree that beating the CPU in sports games is also beating the game (though some would argue it should be beaten on the hardest settings to count).

Then you have games like Tower of Doom, which are definitely winnable but have a bunch of different scenarios and ways to approach them. Or Reversi, which has multiple difficulty levels and board sizes.

The next tier down are games that have an ending, but it's not clear what the win condition should be. Many of those are timed games. For instance, Skiing always ends, but it also specifies in the manual that "a downhill time under 38, or a slalom time under 105" is a Gold Medal performance. Should that be the threshold for "beating" the game? Probably. Or take Auto Racing: you can finish all the races, but what constitutes a victory?

Even Pitfall, which absolutely has an ending (though it just freezes), is tricky to assess. Do you need to get a perfect score, or just get all the treasures? I'd say a perfect score, but others would say finding all the treasures within the time limit is enough (and that's certainly not easy to do).

Finally, there are a couple of games with kill screens, deliberate or accidental. Atlantis can't be played past Day 12 because of a bug, and I'm guessing River Raid freezes at 1 million points like the Atari version.

Wow, well done here! Great info on all of this and many I didn't consider. Great evaluation on the ability of which games can reach a conclusion and/or final ending.

What happens in Atlantis past day 12?

My understanding is that sometime around day 12, the game glitches out and purple junk characters float onto the playfield. Akito01 says it happens on day 12, whereas cparsley said it can happen as late as day 14. Someone edited Wikipedia to say that "most" copies of the game have the issue, but I'm not sure that a bug-free ROM variant has been identified, if it exists.