IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

One question: I currently have a Happy 1050 from Atarimax in one of my 1050's and the only (but pretty irritating) thing is that when powering it off and on again the drive will often not do it's spin-up and the drive won't work then. Sometimes I have to wait up to 5 minutes or so before it works again. I have moved the Happy to my other 1050 drive to see if it was a drive problem or if it would move with the Happy, but indeed it did move with the Happy.

Will the Mega Speedy suffer from this problem as well?

Also, will there be a way to "hard" reset the drive (or won't that be necessary).

I found this info which I'm tempted to try: http://www.realdos.net/Drive%20Reset.html

Will this do a "hard" reset ?

Edited by Level42

One question: I currently have a Happy 1050 from Atarimax in one of my 1050's and the only (but pretty irritating) thing is that when powering it off and on again the drive will often not do it's spin-up and the drive won't work then. Sometimes I have to wait up to 5 minutes or so before it works again. I have moved the Happy to my other 1050 drive to see if it was a drive problem or if it would move with the Happy, but indeed it did move with the Happy.

I've never experienced such a problem, but I also don't have the Atarimax upgrade. Better contact Steve Tucker from Atarimax about this issue.

Will the Mega Speedy suffer from this problem as well?

Also, will there be a way to "hard" reset the drive (or won't that be necessary).

The Mega Speedy has a reset button on the display PCB, this will reset both the 1050 and the Mega Speedy. Resetting the Mega Speedy brings it back into the config mode, so you can easily change drive modes without having to powercycle the drive.

I found this info which I'm tempted to try: http://www.realdos.net/Drive%20Reset.html

Will this do a "hard" reset ?

Haven't tried this exact mod, but this should do it.

so long,

Hias

I've never experienced such a problem, but I also don't have the Atarimax upgrade. Better contact Steve Tucker from Atarimax about this issue.

The Mega Speedy has a reset button on the display PCB, this will reset both the 1050 and the Mega Speedy. Resetting the Mega Speedy brings it back into the config mode, so you can easily change drive modes without having to powercycle the drive.

Haven't tried this exact mod, but this should do it.

so long,

Hias

Thanks Hias !

Yes already contacted Steve about it.

Sounds great about the Mega Speedy, I actually like the track indicator and LEDs !

Cheers, André

This sounds REALLY cool. Was just imformed about this. He told me it even runs the duplicator firmware, which I wrote now about 30 years ago now. I fully endorse this. Very very cool. You can downloadthe source from my website.

Thanks a lot, that's wonderful! We'll happily include your Duplicator ROM in our stock ROM image!

so long,

Hias

Another quick update:

Just added a simple config menu (boot with the drive door open to get there) where you can easily change the drive mode and start the flasher:

post-9299-0-77505600-1415727696_thumb.jpg

You can also save the current config to the drive EEPROM (just press SHIFT+RETURN), this config will then be used as a default selection in the config menu.

so long,

Hias

• Like 4

Hello MrMartian,

The price is not changing a lot with the current amount.

We're up to 100 units. And for a better price, we need to go above 250 units. (I do not intend that, it's way to much WORK )

But I'm still waiting for some information from the manufacturer.

To give an indication, when I calculate all parts cost and the manufacturer does (almost) the same, their price is more than 90% higher than mine.

And that's only the parts cost, not the assembly work. (This is indicated at only $165, so that's not bad at all)

So please be patient for a bit longer.

BR/

Guus

• Like 3

Re

Just did that reset mod on the 1050 with the Happy inside. Works like a charm ! For now got the button hanging out of the drive select hole on the backside since it's temporary anyway.

Meh....it doesn't solve the problem if the Happy not spinning up the drive. I experimented with it a bit, turning power off, power on again, drive not spinning, pushing the reset button but still no spin/response. So....this doesn't solve my problem regretfully.

Hello Marius,

There's no official pré order list.

But I've written all the names I've seen in this thread and at the ABBUC site. (And added the amount)

And your name is on that list, in fact you're the first in line....

What happened up till now is 2 things.

1) It was an overwelming experience, I didn't expect to reach 50+ at all.

2) I've decided to have 100 units produced.

As the funding comes from ABBUC, they will be informed when the units are ready and get a "head start"

But don't fear, up till now all can have the amount they want.

Once we reach 100+ it's time to start worrying.

Current status, the PCB supplier has sent his bill and it will be payed quite fast. The've got a 20 to 30 days lead time and then some shipment time as well. So it will be new year before the production run will be there.

But now I'd like some opinions:

1) Should I start at the top of the list and sell everyone the amount they've asked?

2) Or sell just one to every person who asked and sell the rest to those who've asked more and stop when all are sold?

BR/

Guus

Edited by guus.assmann

You should clip off the usual ones, C56, C57, C58 and C61:

attachicon.gifcaps-clipped-1050.jpg

so long,

Hias

Regretfully this page http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/HighSpeed_en doesn't mention which caps to cut on the 600XL. By comparing the 600XL and 800XL schematics: it's C89 and C90.

About the resistor: should it be installed on the computer and 1050(s) ? or just on one side ?

Also...the text says:

The only important thing is to add 4k7 ohm resistor (if you do not have one already)

What does the "if you do not have one already" mean ? Does it mean that some computers/devices (1050's) had them factory installed ?

Edited by Level42

Hi Guus,

You can go for #2. The more people can enjoy this fabulous upgrade the better. Of course I would be happy to get more than one, so please leave my request for 3 units open.

I am slight neurotic when it comes to a8 hardware that I like. When I have something that is pretty useful I want to be secure and I buy a small stock for spare use. I can imagine I will use this Mega Speedy ultimate 1050 upgrade a lot, so I probably get very fond of it. The idea that it might break one day, and having a few spares gives me always a good feeling.

But my 'obsession' for this should not interfere with other people; other people that can enjoy this upgrade are more important.

• Like 1