IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

Hallo All,

For now, I've just stopped counting.

I know that we've gotten past 100 units.

Twice as many as I expected.

Once the first 100 are there, I'll figure out what to do.

Maybe make another 50 extra, who knows.

When I make more, it will mean that there will be at least another 3 months waiting involved.

And I'm not sure if that will work.

Payment in advance is also some kind of risk, I'm not sure if I can guarantee the price for a second batch.

BR/

Guus Assmann

Edited by guus.assmann

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

The PCB's have arrived.

And I've already programmed all 100 CPLD devices successfully.

Some more assembly work to do still.

And the Displays, plus half of the encoders are still missing.

These are expected around February 8th.

But finally I do see some progress and the shipment coming up.

BR/

Guus Assmann

post-14026-0-70344200-1422293226_thumb.jpg

post-14026-0-67150900-1422293356_thumb.jpg

post-14026-0-81407900-1422293496_thumb.jpg

post-14026-0-16969000-1422293580_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

And for North American atarians, there's DropCheck, wonder if she can do the bezel with her new 3D printer

I just bought an XYZPrint daVinci 1.0. It's not the one with the scanner, but it can do 20cm in all 3 axes. I'm hoping to get it set up this weekend but I'm sure it will be a long time before I am doing any complicated designs with it. It would be cool to get a library of Atari pieces started.

• Like 2

I have my eyes on 3D printers too, just haven't quite decided how much i want to spend on it though, and oh I also want a Scope, and a CNC router too.. LOL

NewEgg has the DaVinci combo for $839 Cdn = 670 US, the one without the scanner is about $390 US, and reviews say "forget about the scanner".

Edited by atari8warez

Hello All,

The project got partially done, I've completed 100 MegaSpeedy main boards. Final assembly, programming and testing is finished.

Yesterday I also ordered the packaging material. Expected delivery in the coming week.

It will be a sturdy cartboard external, with a foam interiour. Price only 0,91 Euro a piece.

There will be one sheet of information and instructions. The complete material is on the websites of Steve and Hias.

Unfortunatelly, the Displays and some rotary-encoders are still missing.

If the supplier doesn't change the date (again) these will be delivered in 2 weeks.

About the price, I'm communicating with ABBUC and hope to publish it soon.

BR/

Guus Assmann

• Like 2

Hello All,

The price is also known, but please don't pay any order yet, the product is not complete.

Mega Speedy 50,00 Euro

Non ABBUC members add 5,00 Euro

DPD Postage Germany 4,50 Euro

Postage Europa & World DHL Letter & registration 6,00 Euro

Payment to bank account no extra charge 0,00 Euro

Payment with PayPAL add for cost 1,50 Euro

Right now, a total of 85 people have ordered a total of 112 units.

All 85 will all get at least 1 unit.

As the project was funded by ABBUC, they will get the orders of more units filled in first.

The remainder will go to a random selection of persons.

Of course everybody will be notified in advance.

Because the shipment cost (from Germany) is not that bad, the 2nd units will be shipped seperately.

This way, as many people as possible will get a MegaSpeedy.

If there's enough additional demand, I am willing to make a second batch.

That will need to be 50 units and at least 40 will need to be pré-booked before I'll start the process.

BR/

Guus Assmann

• Like 2

As the project was funded by ABBUC, they will get the orders of more units filled in first.

I sure hope the people on page 1 of this thread that expressed interest have priority in the "Random Selection" for a 2nd unit ;)

• Like 1

Hello All,

The price is also known, but please don't pay any order yet, the product is not complete.

Mega Speedy 50,00 Euro

Non ABBUC members add 5,00 Euro

DPD Postage Germany 4,50 Euro

Postage Europa & World DHL Letter & registration 6,00 Euro

Payment to bank account no extra charge 0,00 Euro

Payment with PayPAL add for cost 1,50 Euro

Of course everybody will be notified in advance.

Because the shipment cost (from Germany) is not that bad, the 2nd units will be shipped seperately.

This way, as many people as possible will get a MegaSpeedy.

If there's enough additional demand, I am willing to make a second batch.

That will need to be 50 units and at least 40 will need to be pré-booked before I'll start the process.

BR/

Guus Assmann

Hi Guus,

If you like I can drive by to pick it up, no need for you to ship my order to GER only to have ABBUC sent it back to NL again. Besides that, it will be good to talk to you in person again.

re-atari

Hello rdea6,

Adding the ABBUC member number will ensure a discount, or rather not the extra charge.

This is done to promote membership and of course get some payback for the sponsoring / pré-payment for the production.

@PlayingTheAngel:

Because it has been decided that to start with we will only sell one unit per person, You also have a very good chance.

To all:

Unfortunatelly, the diplays are still not here.

The packaging stuff is supposed to arrive Monday next.

Because the bills are payed already, we don't ask for payment very long in advance.

Once we can deliver, we'll ask for the address and payment.

As soon as payment is received, the item will be shipped.

BR/

Guus Assmann

• Like 3

I recently upgraded the firmware to 1.00

Flashing this thing is a breeze.

Looking sweet and ready for about everything....the menu to choose the set-up is really nice. Awesome work from HIAS and everyone else involved.....

Edited by Level42

And for North American atarians, there's DropCheck, wonder if she can do the bezel with her new 3D printer

I have thought about it. The sad fact of consumer 3d printing is that it is not a volume activity. Depending on the complexity and size of the item and the capabilities of the printer it can take 30min to hours for 1 single item. Time is money and at this stage the filiament is still somewhat expensive too. I don't know if I could come up with something that would be cheap enough for most people to buy.

I can definitely try to design a bezel that would incorporate the led/switch panel. I'll be back with more info later.

• Like 1

I have thought about it. The sad fact of consumer 3d printing is that it is not a volume activity. Depending on the complexity and size of the item and the capabilities of the printer it can take 30min to hours for 1 single item. Time is money and at this stage the filiament is still somewhat expensive too. I don't know if I could come up with something that would be cheap enough for most people to buy.

I can definitely try to design a bezel that would incorporate the led/switch panel. I'll be back with more info later.

I hear you, and I agree that it's time consuming and still relatively expensive to produce objects. I thought about making SIO plugs that way but honestly the economics and the time required to produce each plug turned me off. IMHO currently the technology (at least the affordable segment) is only good enough to be used for prototyping, sample production runs, making replacement parts and other niche applications.

It's a hot new "must have" for many people though (I don't necessarly include you in this category, so please don't get offended :) ) and I have hard time understanding those people paying hundreds and even thousands to make a few nick nacks and possibly and quite probably get bored after a short while and let the printer gather dust in the basement or attic.

Edited by atari8warez