IGNORED

Atari Word Processing

gilsaluki

Well you could modify an XEP 80 to do a Color 80 column display....

someone was working to strip out all the time wasting that was incorperated into the driver...

they may have done so for 50 hz speed up already but the project needs to be completed so it works on 60hz properly...

the color project was for NTSC, but I am not sure how far along it was....

weird that 50 driver was worked on while NTSC color was coming about.... the two ends of the project did not meet! But it was pretty much almost done...

Does/did anyone use the macro facilities on word processors and text editors which have them? TextPro had a good macro preprocessor, and TLW's is similar but somewhat expanded. I'm really curious, since I used to play with the macro facility in TextPro a lot, but I don't know if TLW's macros ever get used at all. I seem to remember that SuperScript could be heavily automated as well (I finally got hold of that one a couple of years back, and it looks way powerful, but apparently completely tied to the DOS 2 file system).

• 3 years later...

I use The Last Word and an SIOP2PC cable that reads a folder on my PC's hard drive like it's a disk. Write on the Atari, and I can print to a dot matrix there, or I print/format on my actual PC. Works great, and the keyboard is lightyears better on the Atari.

Back in the day, I used paperclip

• Like 2

My father was a University and Grad school professor throughout his career, and by the time he started using computers in the late 80's, he used WordStar and seemed to love it. Of course he hated doing anything else on the IBM/MS-DOS clone. I had my 130XE at the time, and spent months trying to convince him to go with an Atari ST, save big bucks, etc., but all his colleagues used WordStar, and he didn't want to take a chance of compatibility issues and transfers, etc.

I used Atariwriter+ for all my college work through '96, as I recall, it had an 80-column scroll mode that was fine with me at the time, though I certainly did eye the XEP80, but being a poor college student didn't allow it.

Since getting my Atari 8-bit up and running again a few years ago, I found The Last Word 3.2/3.3 and have never looked back. For both the 80 column (which is fabulous with my video upgrade) and able to use all my 256/512K memory. I have yet to learn most of it's functions and macro possibilities, but intend too. It has more than I'll ever need in a wordprocessor and I get to use my Atari 1200XL with it's wonderful keyboard. I also have OpenOffice, and occasionally use it's word processor if I'm already on the PC, but for my serious book and magazine review writing, I use TLWP and then save the work (if reviews I need to send) to my PC via SIO2PC. If it's for my book, I save it on my MyIDE II CF partition.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...