IGNORED

the guy that programmed Pengo

Mazerati

the guy that programmed the atari 5200 version of Pengo did an awesome job

he seemed to realize that the Pengo arcade game was way too hard and way too fast to put together any kind of strategy at all....so by slowing it down to a perfect pace and in my opinion having better graphics than the arcade version he did an awesome job

I loved the 5200 version.. but it was just a little strange to me since it didn't have the music I was used to in the game (which we now know as the "popcorn" music). So it always felt off in that way. That might be a cool little hack but I doubt anyone would bother. :P

On that note, the arcade Pengo varied pretty wildly with the default difficulty. I've noticed if the "ice clearing" happens in the beginning of the stages (usually on the asian machines) the game tended to be on it's easier setting. If there was no ice clearing (usually the US machines), the games tended to be set to the higher difficulties. Probably not related at all but just saying.

Is it strange that I've never actually played the arcade version? I should see if I have it on MAME.

Triangle Service programmed an updated widescreen version of Pengo as a new Sega arcade game just a few years ago.

The widescreen 8-player version and the arcade original, along with some mini games was released for JPN Xbox360, and is reported to be a region free disc.

• Like 1

I loved the 5200 version.. but it was just a little strange to me since it didn't have the music I was used to in the game (which we now know as the "popcorn" music). So it always felt off in that way. That might be a cool little hack but I doubt anyone would bother. :P

That's because it's a copyrighted instrumental tune. It's also the most covered instrumental I can think of.

I never thought very highly of the conversion or played it much. The arcade version is annoyingly hard though.

There's 2 versions of the official arcade game - Set 1 uses the Popcorn music, Set 2 uses the "original snappy tune", whether there was some © problem I've got no idea. And Set 2 has higher difficulty.

Yeah, the original music is the tech song "Popcorn" by Hot Butter. Maybe Atari didn't want to pay a royalty, I have never read anything which truly explains the change in music from the Sega coin op. But other versions/ rip offs of Pengo have the Popcorn tune - like the C64 game. There is a YT video called let's compare Pengo which has many diff versions.

Was the 5200 music the same as coin op set 2 music?

Isn't the Atari music just based on arcade Set 2? I get the feeling Set 2 machines were more common, every chance a Rom update kit went out because it would make the machines more profitable. Even possible Set 1 didn't even get a US release. I can only remember seeing one real machine around and it had the Popcorn tune.

Why they changed it is beyond me, the Set 2 tune is nowhere near as atmospheric or matching for the pace of the game.

Edited by Rybags