IGNORED

Dungeon Hunt – a new game for the Atari 8 Bit!

jacobus

I sent him an email, so hopefully all is well with him and he can chime in here to help you guys.

Yes, there is a digital version that works with the Maxflash carts and has saving, but each copy is registered individually.

Any word back from him yet?

Any word back from him yet?

Yes, actually. Sounds like work has been keeping him busy lately. He mentioned not having any plans to put together any more Dungeon Hunt packages, but didn't mention anything about digital downloads.

Hopefully his schedule will open up and he can answer that for you guys.

It's a fun game and I hope everyone that's interested gets a chance to own some form of it, be it a cartridge, disk or download. It deserves a spot in the AtariAge store IMO. :)

• Like 1

It definitely needs more exposure and someone who can make a lot more copies of it. From the pictures it looks cool, and everyone in this thread who got it seems to love it. I am supposed to do a review of it for one of the new magazines, but if I can't get a copy then that will be the end of that. But if the game is impossible to get, then a review of a game no one can get any longer is pointless too.

I hope the author does something with it if he's done selling copies. Like release the "digital download" for free to all and yes, maybe the cartridge version through the Atari Age store But it seems to be a really good game that didn't get much exposure just from this thread, I'm sure more people would be interested that missed reading the thread. I missed this thread originally and only recently (about a monht ago) stumbled upon the knowledge of it's existence and found the thread.

I've longed for a dungeon crawler of this type on the 8-bit myself. I hope I haven't missed it.

I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Kicking it's but was indeed rewarding...

Don't be afraid to play at harder settings...

Being measured can help get you thru some levels, but remember.... sometimes you just gotta throw everything you have at the evil beasts and charge for success!

Sorry about the delay in getting back to everyone here!

OK, the word on Dungeon Hunt is that distribution is pretty much finished. I have two disk versions, one cartridge version, and absolutely no digital versions remaining in inventory. I am happy to offer the remaining two disk versions on a first-come first-serve basis ($30 + shipping) - please PM me if interested. Not sure what I will do with the cartridge version, I may offer it on eBay (sorry, I know that's kind of a-holeish of me, but I'm really curious what the last copy would go for...).

Out of fairness to the people who paid good money for the product when it was offered (thank you all very much!) I am not going to release the game into PD any time soon - if ever.

I am however considering a very limited release of DH as well as about a dozen other games and utilities that I have written over the years. They would be packaged in a MaxFlash cartridge, and (likely) a fancy box. No dates on this, I have to finish a couple of games and write one more to fill it. (teaser below :-)

post-11281-0-14848700-1477394686_thumb.pngpost-11281-0-12868500-1477394687_thumb.pngpost-11281-0-76315400-1477394687_thumb.png

post-11281-0-32515900-1477394688_thumb.pngpost-11281-0-91260100-1477394688_thumb.pngpost-11281-0-46529800-1477394689_thumb.png

post-11281-0-11079300-1477394690_thumb.pngpost-11281-0-57209800-1477394690_thumb.pngpost-11281-0-10087700-1477394703_thumb.png

post-11281-0-65933100-1477394703_thumb.pngpost-11281-0-24761100-1477394704_thumb.pngpost-11281-0-72984200-1477394704_thumb.png

post-11281-0-31952700-1477394705_thumb.png

• Like 6

Put me down for two of the maxflash package if/when you make them.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to everyone here!

OK, the word on Dungeon Hunt is that distribution is pretty much finished. I have two disk versions, one cartridge version, and absolutely no digital versions remaining in inventory. I am happy to offer the remaining two disk versions on a first-come first-serve basis ($30 + shipping) - please PM me if interested. Not sure what I will do with the cartridge version, I may offer it on eBay (sorry, I know that's kind of a-holeish of me, but I'm really curious what the last copy would go for...).

Out of fairness to the people who paid good money for the product when it was offered (thank you all very much!) I am not going to release the game into PD any time soon - if ever.

I am however considering a very limited release of DH as well as about a dozen other games and utilities that I have written over the years. They would be packaged in a MaxFlash cartridge, and (likely) a fancy box. No dates on this, I have to finish a couple of games and write one more to fill it. (teaser below :-)

attachicon.gifDefend the City.pngattachicon.gifDungeon Hunt.pngattachicon.gifFile Explorer.png

attachicon.gifFort Apotheosis.pngattachicon.gifImp.pngattachicon.gifInfluence.png

attachicon.gifInterco Flag Trainer.pngattachicon.gifMorse Code Trainer.pngattachicon.gifRunner.png

attachicon.gifSemaphore Trainer.pngattachicon.gifThe Horde.pngattachicon.gifVoyager.png

attachicon.gifZombie Attack!.png

Of course I can not speak for other people but I (as one of the people who paid gor the game) absolutely do encourage you to release the game as PD. I have the beautiful box and other stuff and the original disk so I am happy I paid for that.

I hate the fact though that I can not share the game with good friends now it is not available anymore.

Give it a thought please. I am pretty sure most (if not all) people feel the same....

Greetz

Marius

• Like 5

Well, I may have a line on a disk version from someone above who said they had disk and cart copies, but if the program will no longer be available, even as digital download, there isn't much sense in me reviewing it for the general public if they can't get it anymore anyway. It would have appeared in an issue of EXCEL in the near future, but it looks like the article idea will be thrown away and forgotten. A real shame that no one else will ever get to play it. And I won't be doing a review in hopes that some point in the future it's released as an Atarimax collection. I may revisit it if and when that is released (but I doubt it very much that I'll give a damn by then), but with the author's current attitude about it all and not releasing it as PD, well, he obviously doesn't care about any possible reviews since that would just attract people to inquire with him. Frankly, I've now lost interest in doing a review due to the author's attitude. Time to move on...I've already let Excel know and have moved on to writing reviews of games that are current and matter.

Edited by Gunstar

Whoa! the Author isn't saying never again... re read carefully.... He isn't doing it now or in the near future.... he is working on several other things a this very moment and can re visit this after all that is done.... Please don't go off on him... This is quality work that was quality tested and when time allows may be dealt with then... He is not ready to produce again at this time... he wants to keep the personalized and serialized software distribution at this time. He alone has the tools and ability to do it the way he wishes... I for one appreciate all the flavours he offered and provided... more options than most... and I am sure when the prevailing winds are blowing in the right direction.... a solution and possible continued issue of the software will occur... I am certain if you sit on the review when whatever incarnation is provided all will be satisfied and happy.... I have been late to the boat on many projects and left sitting at the dock many a time.... the good news in the Atari world is .... The ship may come in again as we have seen many times.

Keep positive.... the things he is working on right now are worth the inconvenience of other products not being available.... I have faith!

• Like 5

Whoa! the Author isn't saying never again... re read carefully.... He isn't doing it now or in the near future.... he is working on several other things a this very moment and can re visit this after all that is done.... Please don't go off on him... This is quality work that was quality tested and when time allows may be dealt with then... He is not ready to produce again at this time... he wants to keep the personalized and serialized software distribution at this time. He alone has the tools and ability to do it the way he wishes... I for one appreciate all the flavours he offered and provided... more options than most... and I am sure when the prevailing winds are blowing in the right direction.... a solution and possible continued issue of the software will occur... I am certain if you sit on the review when whatever incarnation is provided all will be satisfied and happy.... I have been late to the boat on many projects and left sitting at the dock many a time.... the good news in the Atari world is .... The ship may come in again as we have seen many times.

Keep positive.... the things he is working on right now are worth the inconvenience of other products not being available.... I have faith!

Good for you, having faith. I can't afford a luxury like that to do an official review on a game that no who doesn't already have it can get their hands on. I'm not going to waste my time writing an article and sitting on it until some future date when the game might be released again and then submit the article. As I already said, I will revisit it *maybe* if and when it is released again. There are too many other article/reviews for me to focus on that can be submitted right away for games that are freely available to everyone now, and are as good or better anyway. Not to mention the fact that I can't review a game that I don't have, and no guarantee that I will get it, even from a private owner.

And sorry, I'm not buying any excuses why a digital download copy can't still be made available to those who want it now. There should be very little time and effort involved in doing so. If there is time and effort involved, it's self-imposed and only necessary in the author's mind. And with that, I am out of here...done with this thread.

Edited by Gunstar

Good for you, having faith. I can't afford a luxury like that to do an official review on a game that no who doesn't already have it can get their hands on. I'm not going to waste my time writing an article and sitting on it until some future date when the game might be released again and then submit the article. As I already said, I will revisit it *maybe* if and when it is released again. There are too many other article/reviews for me to focus on that can be submitted right away for games that are freely available to everyone now, and are as good or better anyway. Not to mention the fact that I can't review a game that I don't have, and no guarantee that I will get it, even from a private owner.

And sorry, I'm not buying any excuses why a digital download copy can't still be made available to those who want it now. There should be very little time and effort involved in doing so. If there is time and effort involved, it's self-imposed and only necessary in the author's mind. And with that, I am out of here...done with this thread.

Can I 'dislike' this?

Dude, it's his game, his code to distribute as he sees fit. His decision (which I respect) and not anyone else's to bitch and moan about what should be in the public domain or not.

• Like 6

I've been ignoring guntar up to now as that it appears he has been angling for a free copy. All this talk of magazine reviews and coverage that he goes on about - always very vague and non-specific of course - seems to be just a feeble way of trying to impress me and make me hand him free stuff. He carefully chose not to purchase one of the last two disk copies when offered, but continues to agitate for a free one.

And in typical guntar fashion, when he doesn't get his way he gets all pissy and whiny.

• Like 2

Is there any difference in gameplay/levels between the various versions or is it just different media/package contents?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

For the commercial versions, only the media and package are different. The ABBUC demo version includes only the first four levels.

• Like 2

Well the only thing I know, is that it is a very very nice game, and that it is a pity for people not being able to purchase it anymore. You can take that as an honest compliment for your fabulous and hard work Jacobus.

Perhaps you can license abbuc or atariage to reproduce and sell your game for a certain (limited) time. That means you do not have to invest time in this, you do not have to provide aftersales support, but your game can be bought by other people and more people can enjoy this great creation for a8.

Anyway, please don't explain my words as being pushy; it's all up to you. I'm only expressing my enthusiasm about the game and some ideas about enlarging the Dungeon Hunt community :D

Good luck with all your other projects!

• Like 1

I just want to express my compliments for this game. It is a great amount of fun for the incredibly small amount of money that was charged. $30 for a new boxed game with manual, floppy, backup cd's and feelies! This package would have cost more if it was offered back in the 80's. This tells me that Jacobus's heart is in the right place and he doesn't deserve to be criticized for his decision.

• Like 3

Can I 'dislike' this?

Dude, it's his game, his code to distribute as he sees fit. His decision (which I respect) and not anyone else's to bitch and moan about what should be in the public domain or not.

That is right, it is all his decision to release or not. Just like it is my decision to review or not.

I've been ignoring guntar up to now as that it appears he has been angling for a free copy. All this talk of magazine reviews and coverage that he goes on about - always very vague and non-specific of course - seems to be just a feeble way of trying to impress me and make me hand him free stuff. He carefully chose not to purchase one of the last two disk copies when offered, but continues to agitate for a free one.

And in typical guntar fashion, when he doesn't get his way he gets all pissy and whiny.

No, I expect nor am angling for a free copy. The thought never crossed my mind. But now, I don't want any copy at all. I did not purchase one of your remaining copies because I already had a copy lined up from a user who had an extra or two he was willing to sell, LONG before you ever replied to anything here. But now, I don't want one from anyone. The ONLY thing I was originally going to ask for, when I was first looking to get a copy, was a map so I could include it with the review. but now, I don't give a damn about any of it.

Typical Gunstar fashion? Where, besides this thread, have I whined or gotten "pissy" about anything? Please remind me.

My reason, as I said plainly before, and as usual, with no ulterior motives, for being "pissy" is my concern as to whether others could get a copy of the game after attention would be drawn to it again from a magazine review, and my not understanding why it would be so difficult for you to continue to make it available for all as a simple digital download that people PAY for. That is it. I am not a women with a hidden agenda who tries to manipulate people, I say exactly what I mean and nothing more. I am as straight-forward as it gets.

Edited by Gunstar

I am sorry about getting so "pissy" over the situation, a poor attempt to get digital copies at least, made available again. I should have just moved on and forgotten about it all instead of putting up a fuss. So I apologize to Jacobus and all others my complaints have upset. I made the mistake of suggesting it as a review article to the person in charge of Excel, and his accepting the suggestion, before I knew it would be so long to hear from Jacobus about it and that he wasn't offering it anymore (except for a couple copies that he finally said he had, within this thread, not in answer to my PM). I was hoping to have a personal conversation with Jacobus, but he never replied to my PM's. He still hasn't, even though he finally replied within this thread, but by then I already had a copy lined up from elsewhere and had decided not to do a review due to a lack of availability. I got "pissy" due to these reasons stated and a lack of response to my PM's, that's the only way to have ordered a copy, right? Yet no response. Just a bit of common courtesy in answering his PM from me could have avoided it all. Again, sorry. But I'm moving on.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

...And with that, I am out of here...done with this thread.

It was too good to be true

But I'm moving on.

I sincerely hope so!

For the record, one of my first experiences here at AtariAge was a nasty email exchange with guntar over a simple difference of opinion - guntar quickly moved to insults and putdowns to try to make his case and I have been trying to ignore him ever since.

I write games for the Atari because I enjoy writing games for the Atari. I have no expectations of becoming rich (hell, I barely broke even on the DH sales), I do it because I have fun doing it. Because of that, I have absolutely no tolerance for a-holes who try to get in the way of my enjoyment. At the same time I have a tremendous amount of respect and gratitude for the people who purchased (and some of them purchased multiple copies!) Dungeon Hunt when it was on sale. I really don't want to risk cheapening their investment by either putting it in the public domain or diluting the market by adding more copies (no quantitative easing here!)

Again, thank you to everyone who purchased a copy, and since I can't say it too often and huge thank you to my beta testers who really helped make the game a success!

• Like 8

I'm having a play of the demo and its growing on me although I have no clue about what to do bar that S saves the game (I think), any word on what keys I need or is the demo ultra limited?

I just read a few posts back that it may never be released PD which is a shame but the authors right, I would love a digital version but not read the whole thread to see if there was a post saying no, seems a shame to see it do nothing with no way to actually purchase it.

I'm also primarily emulation based now as my gear was moved in to storage while my flat was decorated by the landlord and its now a little too painful to dig it all out with my arthritis etc.

I was never a Dungeon Master fan but for some reason I'm warming to that sort of game hence giving DH a go, please say its not 'an old man's game' :)

Edited by Mclaneinc