IGNORED

Modded Flashback 2

magnusfalkirk

Thanks for your response, Bill. The quick answer is I have limited room for console systems. My question is, what exactly is a modded 2600 or 7800?

A 2600 or 7800 modded for composite output so you don't have to mess with RF out and get a cleaner/better picture. They're relatively easy to buy that way, plus there are people who will do the mod if you get one without one and don't want to do the hack yourself.

For most practical purposes, a 7800 modded for composite is the best value, since you'll have high backwards compatibility and also be able to take advantage of all the 7800 stuff. Regardless, it will still be more compatible that a cartridge modded Atari Flashback 2/2+.

The 2600 controller is superior to the 7800 stick. AV modding a 2600 or 7800 are not that much money, but I think you'd probably spend less money just having a FB2 modded depending on what someone would charge. Plus you'd have "new" controllers to use.

To be fair, Atari 2600 controllers are quite cheap, plus the 7800 can use ColecoVision controllers, so that opens up a whole range of additional options if you want to play 7800 games that require two buttons. I just don't see the value in modding an FB2 if you're not going to be as compatible as either a real 2600 or 7800. A pre-modded 2600 can be quite cheap. Here's one example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Woodgrain-Console-Only-NTSC-AV-Mod-160-/151452427447?pt=Video_Games&hash=item234344a4b7 and here's one with more stuff: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Woodgrain-Console-NTSC-with-a-10-game-bundle-AV-Mod-143-/161483012415?pt=Video_Games&hash=item259923393f . So again, why get something that's not the real thing? An equivalent 7800 would probably be about $40 more.

To echo others here, the 2600 stick is superior to the 7800. It's a great controller. The only thing is that there are certain games like Desert Falcon where you need the extra button to fire special items. But the upside is that you'll probably never figure out exactly how to properly play those games anyway. :D

Edit: The OP wants the FB2 with the cart mod? I've been curious about those myself. I really liked the look of the FB2. He just has to make sure he gets a legit one as I've heard that there are fakes floating around, so buyer beware.

Edited by toptenmaterial