IGNORED

Tron Light Cycles for Colecovision - Work in progress

parkfun101

Just wanted to give you guys some heads up on the label art its not fully completed it but just to show that its still on going heres a 45% on it in BW only. So far Im doing both color and shade and yea both the Light Wall and other items are missing from it but just so I dont wanted to give away too much^^

post-5587-0-62276100-1433660997_thumb.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

This is AWESOME Atariboy2600!!! You even did the text with the coloring and font like I used on the Title screen except in 3-D!

For those of you who are like, "What are those ball things on the right?" Those are Disruptor spheres that when touched, disrupt the lines of all the other bikes temporarily, leaving gaps in their lines.

Awesome Cover!!!

• 1 month later...

I just make the games and hand it off to CollectorVision Games to produce so that is a question for Coleco_Master. He told me sometime in August, but he would have to confirm the actual release date.

:ahoy: Nobody every uses this emoticon, so I thought I would.

• Like 2

I just make the games and hand it off to CollectorVision Games to produce so that is a question for Coleco_Master. He told me sometime in August, but he would have to confirm the actual release date.

:ahoy: Nobody every uses this emoticon, so I thought I would.

I prefer this one :dunce: I use it every time I send a game to Collectorvision :P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For a while, Discs of Tron was actually one of my "potential" projects on teampixelboy.com. :)

Wow! That looks amazing. How far did you get with that project?

I consider myself very fortunate to finally have had the opportunity to play the cabinet of that at the Pittsburgh convention earlier this month. The game surpassed my expectations, and I believe it is the best Tron game (either arcade or console). But I'm sure I am only saying that because I have yet to acquire and play Light Cycle Racing ;)

I only made a few mockup screenshots. It never went beyond the stage of "potential project". :)

The problem for any programmer converting Disc of Tron is the control scheme. That spinner that can move up and down vertically along with the joystick and two fire buttons required might only be doable with super action controllers, but never having programmed the spinner I can't say for sure if that would even work well enough

The problem for any programmer converting Disc of Tron is the control scheme. That spinner that can move up and down vertically along with the joystick and two fire buttons required might only be doable with super action controllers, but never having programmed the spinner I can't say for sure if that would even work well enough

It wouldn't work well with the SAC's spinner. The spinner is not like a paddle controller, it's much more imprecise. Just play Super Action Baseball or Soccer, and you'll see just how approximative the spinner really is. Usually, the spinner is used to send a stream of interrupt signals to indicate left/right movement, and the faster you spin it, the more interrupts it generates. It's definately not an input device designed for precision movement.

The Roller Controller is probably a better choice for Discs of Tron, but only if Player 2's joystick can still be used normally to move Tron around the discs.

This got me thinking about the controls for the Intellivision version of Tron Deadly Discs. The numeric keypad controls the direction of the disc, while the flat disc part of the controller moves the player. Seems to me that type of control might work for Discs of Tron: the numeric keypad could control player movement, as it is largely left-right (with up and down in later levels) and the joystick could control the target symbol at which you aim the disc. One fire button for throw, the other for blocking--I could see it happening.

This got me thinking about the controls for the Intellivision version of Tron Deadly Discs. The numeric keypad controls the direction of the disc, while the flat disc part of the controller moves the player. Seems to me that type of control might work for Discs of Tron: the numeric keypad could control player movement, as it is largely left-right (with up and down in later levels) and the joystick could control the target symbol at which you aim the disc. One fire button for throw, the other for blocking--I could see it happening.

In practice, it wouldn't work because of the way the ColecoVision controller is held: If you hold the controller with the right hand, you want to keep your index and thumb on the side buttons. This means your left hand would have to constantly move between the joystick and the keypad, and you'd have to look down at the keypad constantly to see which button you need to press. Discs of Tron is too "active" a game for this to work, and this proposed controller setup wouldn't work for Robotron 2084 for the same reason.

In practice, it wouldn't work because of the way the ColecoVision controller is held: If you hold the controller with the right hand, you want to keep your index and thumb on the side buttons. This means your left hand would have to constantly move between the joystick and the keypad, and you'd have to look down at the keypad constantly to see which button you need to press. Discs of Tron is too "active" a game for this to work, and this proposed controller setup wouldn't work for Robotron 2084 for the same reason.

For Robotron 2084, if there was some sort of Colecovision controller holder, the player could potentially use 2 joysticks. The controller holder would just secure the Colecovision controllers so they could be held together side by side or sat down on a table. It would be wide enough to fit over your lap and perhaps be a bit weighted to help keep it from moving while you play. The player could then use the Player 1 joystick to move and Player 2 joystick to fire. If this controller holder existed, the player could choose which side they want the Movement and Firing controllers on which would be a nice feature. Just a thought. ....I've never played Discs of Tron, but perhaps this controller holder could also be used for that game.

• Like 1

For Robotron 2084, if there was some sort of Colecovision controller holder, the player could potentially use 2 joysticks. The controller holder would just secure the Colecovision controllers so they could be held together side by side or sat down on a table. It would be wide enough to fit over your lap and perhaps be a bit weighted to help keep it from moving while you play. The player could then use the Player 1 joystick to move and Player 2 joystick to fire. If this controller holder existed, the player could choose which side they want the Movement and Firing controllers on which would be a nice feature. Just a thought. ....I've never played Discs of Tron, but perhaps this controller holder could also be used for that game.

A "controller holder" like that would work, I suppose, but then you lose access to the fire buttons. That's why the Roller Controller would be the best option. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome looking game. I can't wait to add it to my collection. What is your status? Will you be ready for pre-orders soon?

I always like it when someone else asks - I don't feel like a bother this way :D

Collectorvision will be selling these - it was last said ' should be in August ' so maybe today? (whistles) I'm still waiting for my email

Edited by Bodyshots