IGNORED

If you were Nintendo, what would you do?

TPA5

So, it's not a secret that Nintendo is struggling as of late. I don't believe they're going to sink into the mists of time tomorrow, but it's obvious they need to get their footing and re-establish themselves as a serious contender in the gaming market. I was wondering what I would do differently if I was running the show at Nintendo, and I then wondered what you folks may do if you ran the big show?

Personally, I would get a focus put on developing a new hand-held console. Something that's really killer, and refreshes the hand-held market. Yes, lots of folks are moving to smartphones and tablets for gaming, but I believe that handhelds can still be a force to reckon with. But they can't keep re-hashing the DS over and over, it's time they put together something really revolutionary.

I would also get teams working on really sick ports of classic Nintendo games for mobile devices and tablets. Nintendo is super opposed to this because they're afraid it will bite into their software sales for the DS, but I think the payoff would far outweigh any "lost" software sales. Imagine how people would eat up classics like Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros., and the like for mobile platforms. Square Soft did it for Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, and it was a pretty great success. Heck, I'd buy those Nintendo classics for my phone.

Finally, I would have effort poured into making an absolutely killer Legend of Zelda game to really move consoles. Nintendo saw some success with a few recent console-moving titles, but they really need a juggernaut like LoZ to move serious product.

Those are some of the things I would try, anyway. I'm by no-means any kind of expert on business, but that's my best guess.

What do you guys think, what might you change?

• Like 1

I would release Nintendo's back catalog of classic games on iOS, Android, and Steam. This would instantly create billions in revenue as people bought each now and in the future. The back catalog of games would extend to everything except the current generation of Nintendo hardware. This would keep franchises alive and build excitement about new releases.

New games would be Nintendo hardware exclusives, only released on iOS, Android, and Steam after they have had a good exclusive run on the Nintendo hardware.

• Like 8

I think I'd mostly focus on bringing the handheld and the console more in line with each other. I'd probably stop with the weird life improving stuff they seem fixated on since the Wii fit thing. That's a super saturated market with a new band or other dongle every other day from established fitness companies. I'd also stop with so man damn peripherals. Those things are neat oddities in like 20 years but I'm frankly tried of the mote stuff. That looks to be improving, at least. I personally like the Pro controller a lot and think it should just be the Wii U controller.

With neither the handheld nor console being prohibitively expensive it would bring a lot of cohesion to what they offer were they tired together more. The asynchronous gameplay aspects are something they currently have a bit of a monopoly on with the gamepad and I'd probably try and find ways to give that a more broad appeal. I'd also probably kill all motion gaming. I certainly would not just focus on classics or the backlog. I'd also focus on keeping things simple, and as part of that, merge the stores, licensing and communities. They are doing a lot of that but it's got a long way to go and it's way too late for that to be a weak area.

Revenue doesn't seem to be an issue yet. They have the money to make good moves, they just seem lost. For that reason I wouldn't do any sort of porting unless I did something like cross play with steam. That would be neat.

Edited by omegadot

I've given up on "worrying" about Nintendo or what they should do.

I simply just buy what they release, wait for the next sequel in the usual series I'm interested in and hope for an exclusive 3rd party game once in a while. (Their consoles are good homebrew machines!)

The 3DS though is cool because unlike tablets its got proper controls etc.

I don't know anymore. I dont care, whatever they do I'll always buy it but I've moved on, they'll never be my primary form of gaming. (That doesn't mean that they are no good. Just means they are limited in scope)

Oh and the OP asks what they should do to increase sales? Make games multiplatform, at LEAST make some apps on tablets. If they don't want to do that....get more third party support: snag devs up who are turned away elsewhere (Bayonetta is a good example!). Have a guy check Kickstarter every day. License your games out to flashback consoles or other people to use for advertising. Allow people to do remakes and help them sell it for a small fee. Create an MMO. Make a fast food chain people will go.......

Again, WTF other than that I don't know. :P

• Like 2

I am not sure that anything they will do will make a difference.

I would have no interest in playing their back catalog on tablets or smart phones with the lack of proper controls. How many "traditional gamers" would feel the same? Does the average tablet/smart phone user even care about these games when Candy Crush and Flappy Bird do well enough for them?

Steam as a possibility but the PC market continues to shrink. Outside of people like us and those that need to create content, the desktop/laptop market is dwindling.

And to what does a "serious contender in the gaming market" mean? The definition keeps changing. Will consoles beyond this generation even be relevant outside a niche market? Yea... the PS4 seems to be doing well enough with the Xbox One behind it, but what is the attach rate of games?

In other words. will Nintendo's problems today simply become similar problems for Microsoft and Sony tomorrow?

I'd definitely release old games on iOS and android markets. It's not going to hurt business in the least, and honestly, would probably net them billions almost instantly.

Next handheld, include an Appstore of some kind. If it's fully android (or iOs) or whatever, or if it's a cut down version, this whould incourage people to pruchase the Nintendo handheld. Sure, it would cut into official cart sales (some) but over all, I think the increase in sales and popularity would make up for it. And once people find out what a pleasure it is to play games with real controlls, I think other Android makers would make systems with integrated controlls instead of relying on the screen.

More interactivity between the handheld and console market. Im still surprised there's no "DS player" for the WiiU yet, since an integrated screen in the controller solves the whole "but you need two screens blah blah blah"

I would open the entire back catalog of SNES, NES, Etc. up on the WiiU.

It's pretty sad that the old defunct wii shop still has WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY more Virtual Console titles than the WiiU.

Yes I know I can go into Wii mode and get to all that stuff but joe user probably doesn't even think to try.

Bring it all over to the eShop and keep releasing as much from the back catalog as you can. That's money for nothin and your chips for free!

Also keep upgrading the TV integration. I LOVE using the WiiU controller instead of my LG tv's weird/retarded pointer remote.

I wish I could use it to turn on my Onkyo sound system though. Then I could just put all these remotes on my table away.

I would bring all DS games to WiiU.

And... I would end the handheld division entirely and start targeting mobile.

This is just what I would do. I am not at all worried about Nintendo long term. They have a stockpile of raining day cash to weather times like this.

As long as they give me a new Zelda and a Metriod Prime game every 5 or so years I'm good!

• Like 2

The 3ds is the only system of this generation (Wii u, Xbox one, ps4, ps vita) I have any interest in. The only advice I could offer to Nintendo is to keep on innovating. Keep trying to come up with new ideas that are different. Sometimes they will get it right like the Nes, Game boy, and Wii and make a fortune. Sometimes it won't be successful (virtual boy) and they will lose money.

• Like 1

I should be honest, if I were Nintendo I'd actually just make a giant gaming hideout in their headquarters and use the pile of banked cash to fund the longest video game party ever for me and a dozen or so friends as they had time to take from their dreary lives. I'm sorry world, but I'd ruin this company. Since I live a pretty small sensible life I could probably do that for the entirety and not really touch their fortunes in a meaningful way.

• Like 1

Make the handheld and the console be one and the same. Or at least share a common hardware core, allowing for the pool of software to be shared across both lines along with many other savings.

With so little outside support, Nintendo's biggest issue going at it alone is that they don't have the resources to release more than a handful of games a year on each platform (This also causes slow starts along with long end of generation lulls where 1st party releases virtually stop as they prepare for new hardware). I've said it before, but they're essentially fighting a two front war and losing.

They need to find a way to consolidate their forces to achieve the greatest effect instead of spreading themselves too thinly. They're not terribly far from breaking even as it is, but if something like Super Mario 3D World with this upcoming generation could be sold to all next gen Nintendo hardware owners, I think that's a game changer.

They very well might be able to make this nearly closed Nintendo system a very profitable enterprise and be able to support it with a steady stream of quality 1st party software, instead of going months in-between releases of significance.

And do a good enough job of it, the 3rd parties will naturally eventually return as they chase their customers.

If they do another closed console and closed handheld without this commonality and don't get a miracle like the casual craze the DS and Wii enjoyed, I'm not sure we'll see Nintendo's shareholders stand for another round of hardware investment the next time around.

Get it wrong over the next 2-3 years and it very well might seal their fate where hardware is concerned, which as far as I'm concerned would be a great loss to the gamer and the beginning of the end of Nintendo's magic and standard of quality.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

If I were them, I'd try to obtain sports licenses like Sega did toward their end. Nintendo has no sports titles whatsoever and I think that might be a large part of software sales that they are potentially missing. Sony has the exclusive deal with MLB, what is stopping Nintendo to work out a deal that would make one of the sports exclusive to their system?

That and 3rd party support is so important. Do anything to get the multi platform releases put on your systems. Its great Nintendo has all these top-notch exclusives, but outside of that they have shovelware. They are not very well balanced on the software side of things and that is unfortunately going to probably be there demise. I've said it before, of the exclusives that each of the three companies have, Nintendo is probably my favorite, but their lacking in support outside of that isn't really making a Nintendo system a must buy for me.

It's probably too late for the Wii U... But I would have dropped the tablet controller and knocked the price down to $149-$179 for starters.

Nintendo won't do that though. They are going to ride that ship straight to the bottom. But by then they'll come up with something else and (hopefully) learn from their Wii U mistakes.

• Like 1

Personally, I would get a focus put on developing a new hand-held console. Something that's really killer, and refreshes the hand-held market. Yes, lots of folks are moving to smartphones and tablets for gaming, but I believe that handhelds can still be a force to reckon with. But they can't keep re-hashing the DS over and over, it's time they put together something really revolutionary.

I would make a virtual boy 2 :D With online connectivity so you can meet your friends in virtual reality.

I don't think anything can save Nintendo this gen. It's already been 2 years since the Wii-U came out and still there's barely 5 games worth playing on it.

The price is too high which is mostly due to the tablet that most games don't even use and more and more games are not using. Even 1st party games that use it don't really add anything meaningful to the experience.

remaking the same games over and over again is annoying. but a reboot of an older IP that hasn't been used since for a long time? That could attract attention.

I would stop letting shovel-ware trash games from being released. focus on having quality games in a department store rather than hundreds of junk...quality over quantity. The Wii was like that and it's a huge reason I stopped looking for Wii games...having to sift through piles of garbage mini-game/party type games that all play the exact same way and brain games that bore me to death don't make want to buy anything.

The next Nintendo console should actually be a next gen console, The Wii and Wii-U are both underpowered previous gen machines compared to their competition. They aren't going to attract core gamers with last gen hardware.

• Like 2

I don't think I'll ever understand how these threads get going about Nintendo no matter how well or poor Nintendo seems to be doing. Even when they were making money by the truckload with the Wii people would start threads about how Nintendo was sure to die once the fad wears off. Right now Nintendo currently has more consoles sold than the Xbone, and still selling plenty of systems every week. They will be eclipsed by the xbone by next year at the current rate, but when they release games in their own franchises they sell a LOT of copies. They aren't going anywhere any time soon.

(Yes they have issues to work out if they want to do -better-, particularly with 3rd party developers, but I still don't believe they're going to go under any time soon.)

Right now Nintendo currently has more consoles sold than the Xbone, and still selling plenty of systems every week. They will be eclipsed by the xbone by next year at the current rate, but when they release games in their own franchises they sell a LOT of copies. They aren't going anywhere any time soon.

The Wii-U has been out twice as long as the PS4 and Xbone.

The Wii-U has been out twice as long as the PS4 and Xbone.

We're talking 1 year. And that was a year when it really did have very few things to buy even if everyone was rushing out to buy games for it. Regardless it's still selling consoles just fine, has a decent attach rate, which is mostly 1st party titles to boot as usual for a Nintendo console which means even more cash for Nintendo. They're going to do just fine regardless of how much doom and gloom people keep wanting to paint on them.

They're just not going to be running the show the way they use to with the NES/SNES. At least not until they learn to play with the 3rd party developers rather than the lip service they tend to give.

If Nintendo wants more customers, they should attempt to appeal to all of the customers that their 3rd parties used to cover but no longer do.

I do see them occasionally touch the surface of this concept, but nowhere near enough for me to get on board. I've gotten pretty close to buying a 3ds probably half a dozen times since it's come out, but the reason I never have is that there just aren't any major games on it for me. A couple fair looking c-list titles at best.

But then maybe Nintendo doesn't need more customers. Maybe they're as happy without me as I am without them.

Vtech's game systems don't target me as a customer, and they're doing fine. Maybe Nintendo's changed to that model.

Edited by Reaperman

I don't think anybody said Wii U was doing worse than the current gen. Then again, the current gen still isn't doing as good as the last gen.

This is the first generation I've seen where NONE (and I mean that literally) of my friends, or me, has any of them, within a year of launch. It's not due to lack of money, but lack of interest. Simply no new exclusive games. To be honest, if I got a new console, it's as much, or more likely to be a wiiU than a PS4 or Xbox one. The latter two have simply gotten to far away from gaming.

That, and currently, anything on new consoles can be had on the last gen as well. (latest call of duty, destiny, whatever games I'm interested) so no need for an update.

Yeah, my friends talk about the "mastachief collection" uh...I have all those games. Don't care about high def conversions, and definitely don't care about loosing the online bits. Halo CE anniversary was a total disappointment cause of lack of meaningful online, as in, it's cool original unrestricted maps. I'd love to play 16 player ratrace with exclusively grenades and rockets. That was fun. Instead, it was just tacked on reaches engine and the part of the game that would have had a meaning to be updated, was completely lost. Master Chief collection will be the same, crippled down to halo 4's "me too call of duty" engine. Just not interested.

Anyhow, I don't know (and don't care) about current sales numbers, but yeah, like I said, from local support, all three next gens seem to be tanking at the moment.

• Like 1

Stop trying to be different, release a console that is comparable to your competitions current consoles (not their last gen ones) so it gets 3rd party games on top of your solid first party, and get some new blood in there i.e. relaxing the Iwata/Miyamoto creative stranglehold. If the U had the 3rd party support/power of the PS4 on top of Mario Kart or SMash, they would effing own the generation.

Edited by xg4bx
  • Like 1

- Tie downloaded games to a user account, not a console (this recently bit me in the ass when my original Wii started freezing up).

- Let someone besides Team Ninja work on a Metroid game.

- "Dump" the Wii U, give it a different name and a slightly different design, and re-release it. Market it as being fully backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U. (half-joking here)

Other than that I think they should just keep doing what they're doing. I like that they are trying different things with user input. They have a lot more guts and imagination than Sony and Microsoft. So far I don't have a Wii U but will probably consider it when the new Zelda game is released.

As for releasing their old games for iOS and Android, I think that is a bad idea. Those games were designed for controllers. It may be fine for a select few titles but imagine trying to fight the Darknuts in Legend of Zelda with touch input. It'll just end up making a new generation of players think their old games suck because they control like crap.