IGNORED

Got a 600XL!

Sega Dude

Today I got an Atari 600XL today from Craigslist for just $10. I came with a bunch of stuff including the original manuals, 3 game carts (Pole Position, Centipede and E.T. Phone Home) , a 1010 tape drive with miscellaneous tapes, all needed cables and more. Since I don't have an Atari switchbox, I tried it with a Sega Auto RF Adapter. It works but the picture was extremely staticy. I also tried my NES RF adapter, which was better, but it was still staticy. At least I could see what's on the screen. I think the problem is with the RF switches. Haven't tested the 1010 tape drive yet, but I;m sure it works. This is not the first 80s computer I've ever gotten. I also have a Commodore 128 I've owned for about 7 years now. However, this is my first Atari home computer.

110_8841.jpg

110_8843.jpg

110_8844.jpg

• Like 4

You got all that for $10? Man...you have my unending envy. ;) My 600XL is right here on my desk, beside my Mac. It's a good and faithful servant. Very nice haul you've got there!

The 600XL is infinitely easy to upgrade to 64k of RAM, as Paul says. I upgraded mine, and I barely know which end of a soldering iron to hold. There I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I'd personally just get a decent monitor. I play on a PVM-14N1U I bought off of Tempest this summer but I also have three Commodore 1702's I picked up this summer too that almost display as beautiful as the PVM.

Shipped I didn't pay more than 70$ for any of them, get you a monitor that likes it as is then some sort of SIO device or a MyIDE-II and your 10$ atari + 150-200$ more = a very very happy user.

Edited by ryanmercer

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to let you all know I found the switch box I used with my 2600 before the power connector broke. I tried it with the insanely long RF cable I got with the 600XL and the picture is crystal clear, no static at all. Now I can actually my 600XL since I can see what's on the screen, unlike when I was using my NES or Sega RF switches.

• Like 1

Great buy! Nice upgrade from the Commie :-D :grin: OK, I never cared for Commodore but I still like seeing them preserved these days also.

I got my 600XL last winter for $12 plus shipping, just the computer itself with the memory upgrade and original manuals.

For the TV switch you could try some contact clear on it (do it well away for the Atari itself and left it all dry because that stuff can attack plastic)

or get an RCA to F type connector adapter that's what I use. I use to sell them on ebay but there was so little profit in it it wasn't worth the drive to the post office.

I ended up add AV outputs on it, not hard and cheap if you can make it yourself, like $1 worth of parts..