IGNORED

Web Browser's for Classic Computers

Omega-TI

I'm wanting to compile a listing of "Pre-PC" Classic Computer's that already have Internet Web browsers available for them.

As far as I know, a 'scaled back' one is currently under development for the TI-99/4A for use with the Lantronix UDS-10. But I'd like to know, are there any browsers, even limited ones for the Atari's, Apple's, TRS-80's Commodore Amiga's or other systems?

If there are, please share your knowledge about them with us. Let us know if they are text only, or if they have graphics capability. Also, IF you know, did they get around the buffer and memory limitations by spooling to disk?

Could we also get a photo or screen shot too?

Thanks! :)

I just found lynx for windows 95 so i can brows the web in dos mode with out any trubble im useing it on my Trunknet PC a old pentium 100

and windows 95. and no matter how hard i tryed i cant get a real dos computers to use tcp/ip i do have easynet for my amiga 1200

but my eyes are to bad at looking at a tv monitor so i have to use dos computers now to see clear on a big lcd monitor.

David B

• Like 1

The Contiki operating system includes a web browser, which has been implemented to be running with an Ethernet interface at least on Commodore 64, Apple ][ and I believe Atari 8-bit computers. The first revision would compile on most 6502 systems, nowadays the operating system rather aims at embedded systems but there exists backports to the 8-bit computers.

The Amiga had AWeb and other browsers already back in the 1990's, so it is nothing spectacular. I'd not consider an Amiga to be pre-PC though, just as little as I'd consider the 68K Mac range (or Atari ST if you like) to be pre-PC.

• 3 weeks later...

Stuart, an Atari Age user just released his first version of a Web Browser for the TI-99/4A today in

<< THIS LINKED MESSAGE >>. Check it out, it even supports color and basic graphics. Of course it's natural that because I REALLY want to try it, the universe conspired against me and I'm unable to use this version... maybe then next version...

EDIT: I tried it, I like it! :)

Edited by --- Ω ---

• 3 weeks later...

<< THIS MESSAGE >> Over in the TI-99/4A Programming area has the latest release of Stuart's TI-99/4A Internet Browser. Stuart has greatly improved this second version with a LOT of new and improved features. So if you have a TI-99/4A and don't make it to that section often, please, go check it out. You'll be amazed at what the TI is capable of.